Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1971 Vette VS. 1972 Vette

7NT1VETTE

Hello fellow C3 owners! I have a question I know the prices fluctuate alot and depend on certain options and/or raritys but my question here is, what is the difference in value between a simarly equipped 1971 and 1972. Is one year possibly worth more than the other. It seems to me that people are willing to pay more for a 71 corvette, the only differences I can think of are the 71 had the Fiber Optics, Engine Info Plate on the console and the 72 traded that stuff in for the Standard Alarm system anyone know anything else? Does the horsepower rating difference matter to people? Im just curious. Thanks

I might guess that the `72 would hold greater collector interest as the final year of dual chrome bumpers and absence of pollution controls and accordingly, a greater value.

Unfortunately, I've never owned one -- have had 73-4-5-- but was always attacted to the chrome bumper beasts. Just my .02
Regards-

CQRT in AZ

Beauty is in the eye of the "beerholder" so whatever car you really like is going to have more value to you than the next person. That said, I attach more value to the 72 since it is the last year of chrome bumpers. On the other hand, I always wanted a new 72 in college but didn't buy one for various reasons. I went looking for one now and, of course, I was looking for a 72. On top of that, I only wanted an unrestored car in very good condition.

Some folks attach more value to a 70 or 71 because they show more horsepower on the sticker. Each to his own, I guess.
Gary

IMO, the sharks divide between the chrome bumpers, meaning 68-72, then that one year 1/2 step unique in it's own right....'73, and then the demise of the convertible...last year being '75, then the start of the 'new interior' with '78 and the fastback styling to me a copy of the '67 barracuda Plymouths of a decade earlier....since that is the main styling cue....

personally, a vette is best defined as a convertible, and allways will, along with any other sports car...gotta be a rag top....

sorry for the coup fans, but them's the facts folks....

GENE

For me, a big advantage of the 72 is that the vin identifies the engine type. So if I were buying an LT1, or even a bigblock I would prefer the 72 because I would be less worried about buying a fake. Big problem with 71 LS6 cars.

1971 was the last year for fiber optic warning lights. The only external difference between the 1971 and 1972 Corvettes is the amber front turn signals and chrome plating on the egg-crate grills on the 1972. 1972 was the only year for Corvette Big Block engines to have no horse power sticker on the air cleaner lid. Beginning in 1972 and continuing thereafter, horsepower would be measured as "net" rather than the less realistic "gross." Pewter Silver was only offered as an exterior color in 1972. 1972 was the only year air conditioning was available with the LT1 engine and only 240 were so equipped. Dimensions were the same but curb weight differed: 3,202 lbs. in 1971, 3,305 lbs. in 1972.

There were fewer 1971 Corvettes built FWIW

There was a strike which delayed the start of '71 production, so there were fewer built that year than others around that time. I doubt that it would make much difference pricewise, but who knows?

I have a '71, and I think the fiber optics are cool. Mine has the alarm, so the '72s have nothing on me. :) I also kind of like the clear parking light lens with the amber bulb on the '71s rather than the other way around on the '72s.

Fiber Optics

Yea the fiber optics are cool when they WORK I had a 1971 they didn't work and when I was looking for other Chrome Bumpers none of wich I found had the fiber optics working but otherwise its pretty cool. I dont know about coupes but I know that 72 convertibles were made less than 71 convertibles so I dont know how much that strike affected it.

IMO there is no real value difference between a 71 and 72. 71 did have slightly more powerful engines when comparing net vs net, but not enough to really matter. For example 71 LT-1 275 net, 72 LS5 270 LT-1 255. Also, transistor ignition was standard of LT-1 and LS-6 in 71 and not available in 72. However, 72 had advantages already listed. Bottom line thay are both great cars with differences most people would never know.

The fiber optics should be easy to fix

When they don't work, probably the end has come loose or the cable has been broken. There is basically one part for each, namely the fiber optics cable itself, along with the mounting parts. New ones are available, at least as a reproduction part. They are probably a bit of a pain to string through the car, but once that's done, they have to work. The light, of course, is provided by the light being monitored. It's a very simple system, actually.

From my experience the 1972 is usually less valuable than 1970-1971. I think this is due to the Net horsepower rating.

This is why I bought a 72. Less expensive than the other two, but 99.9% the same car. Mine doesn't have an orignial engine anyway.

The whole "last year for" thing adds to the appeal, but doesn't seem to add to the value.

-Gööney0

Note: My opinion is based mostly on base motor (200hp) cars since that is what I have. 72 LT-1's with A/C are a noteable exception.

7NT1VETTE said:
what is the difference in value between a simarly equipped 1971 and 1972.
The key here being similiarily equipped, I'd say the difference is negligable. Go with whatever one you can find for the best deal and that has what you are looking for.

mrvette said:
IMO, the sharks divide between the chrome bumpers, meaning 68-72, then that one year 1/2 step unique in it's own right....'73, and then the demise of the convertible...last year being '75, then the start of the 'new interior' with '78 and the fastback styling to me a copy of the '67 barracuda Plymouths of a decade earlier....since that is the main styling cue....

personally, a vette is best defined as a convertible, and allways will, along with any other sports car...gotta be a rag top....

sorry for the coup fans, but them's the facts folks....

GENE
As for the "vette is best defined as a convertible," I suppose that's why, whenever people find out I have a 67, one of the most prevalent, uinformed questions is always: "Is it a split window?" No other model ever established a marque more completely than that spilt window. And, that split window really gave the world notice that Corvette was to be recognized forever as "Sting Ray." If the 78 fastback styling was a copy of the 67 Barracuda, what did the Barracuda copy? The 63 or the 64 Sting Ray?

But back to the original question, the 71 and the 72 were smoggers. The 72 was the last year for the removable rear window and chrome bumbers front and rear, but for my money give me the 70. No smog junk and it was a low production year due to strikes at GM (and other places...Ford even called their Boss 302 a 70 1/2 model and so did Camaro because they came out so late). The 70 LT1 was a real street beast mouse motor and the 454 came in killer combinations. I'd check the production numbers on the 70 and then the want ads to see how many are for sale.

That's just my .02...not trying to pick any fights, either.:v

I agree 70 is definately the best year of the three. However, the 70 did have smog equipment and if 71 and 72 are smoggers, what is a 75? I've owned a 70 LT-1, 71 LT-1, and 75 L-82. There was little difference in performance between the 70 and 71 LT-1s, but the 75 L-82 was not in the same class as the LT-1s. The 75 was a real smogger. Also, I drove a 70 300hp vert that I was thinking about buying before my first LT-1. It did not have significantly better performance than my 75 L-82. The real difference in value between 70, 71, and 72 is in options not year. I'd take a 72 LT-1 to a 70 300hp car anyday.

rainman said:
I agree 70 is definately the best year of the three. However, the 70 did have smog equipment and if 71 and 72 are smoggers, what is a 75? I've owned a 70 LT-1, 71 LT-1, and 75 L-82. There was little difference in performance between the 70 and 71 LT-1s, but the 75 L-82 was not in the same class as the LT-1s. The 75 was a real smogger. Also, I drove a 70 300hp vert that I was thinking about buying before my first LT-1. It did not have significantly better performance than my 75 L-82. The real difference in value between 70, 71, and 72 is in options not year. I'd take a 72 LT-1 to a 70 300hp car anyday.

70 vette may have been a smogger in CA, but not in MD or FL. CA cars had A.I.R., right?

AIR cars: all LT-1s, all LS6, 72 LS5, 72 200hp (CA only)

non-AIR: 70s except LT-1, 71 270hp, 365hp (LS5), 72 200 hp (except CA)

While emissions increased each year horse power drops were more due to detuning for unleaded fuel. Also, the strongest engines of the period (70 LT-1 and 71 LS6) both had AIR. I don't think you can really call any 70-72 cars smoggers compared to the cars of the mid 70s. Most of the 70-72 cars were still putting out fairly respectable numbers even in comparision to the cars of the 60s. And back to the point of the thread, I don't see a big difference in value among the three years especially between 71 and 72.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom