Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1973 YJ8 Wheels

splitwindowz06

Corvette
1973 Yellow Coupe, 1981 Charcoal, 1991 Dark Red
I recently purchased an NOS set of the 1973 YJ8 wheels from a very old collection in the Mid-West. Though the owner would not include the GM boxes, he was willing to part with the wheels. The wheels do reflect the correct casting numbers and other info (329381, XM, Date Codes of early March 1973). Though I intend to only use the wheels for show, is there any concern with having the backsides of these wheels clear coated for preservation purposes? Though my car was originally order with the YJ8 option, the factory substituted the deluxe wheel covers in place of the aluminum wheels. Fortunately the original owner, for whom I purchased the car from many years ago, saved all the documentation surrounding this purchase.

Thank you.

That's pretty cool and makes at least three full sets of these wheels that have been accounted for.

Not sure what type of show you're aiming for, but be prepared for close scrutiny of the wheels at an NCRS judging event.

Do you have the correct lug nuts to go with them?

As for my show aspirations, nothing heavy duty at this point. More of a quasi survivor class since the car was repainted 12 years ago. Everything else on this car is original and both number & date code matching. Though I was looking for a Mid-Year at the time, I purchased this car because it reminded me of the '71 I owned in high school. Not to mention the memories I have of my late dad and that car. Though not a rare car, it is my favorite among the collector cars I currenlty own. As for the original lug nuts, no such luck. That said, it just a matter of time until I find a set.

If you do go for NCRS, there is a requirement (unique to 73s) where proof must be shown that the car was delivered to the dealer/original owner with the YJ8's intact. The long-standing story from GM is a total of 4 cars were assembled with these wheels, but none are known to have made it to the first customer. The s/ns or exact fate of these four cars are unknown. There were apparently hundreds/thousands of orders for the YJ8s, but all were cancelled and the PO2s substituted.

This car would have to be shown accordingly to avoid a substantial deduction, so the clear coat is a moot point. I wouldn't paint them anyway, but that's just me. A light coat of preservative oil would be my choice.

...the owner would not include the GM boxes...

Your wheels were almost certainly purchased over the counter at a Chevrolet dealer if they were boxed. The wheels were briefly available through dealerships before the recall.

Mikey is correct: you'll lose points with the NCRS if you run the YJ8s. If you intend to have your car judged, install the P02s until after the point count.

:)

Thanks everyone for your input. Please, by no means am I trying to fool anyone with claiming that my car was delivered with the YJ8 option. My true intentions are simply to make the car a little more interesting for show and match the promotional model GM displayed in their advertizing pamplets. I do realize that many a customer did order this option, but it is nice to have all the original paperwork from the dealership showing that this option was requested but later deleted by the factory.

As for the wheels themselves, yes they were purchased over the counter. However, the story tends to imply that alot of back room deals were made so that the owner could get possession.

You will see the wheels in some of the old GM photographs. I've seen pix of Zora Duntov and others testing 74s at Milford and the cars are running the YJ8s.

:thumb

The shame is that probably not one in a thousand at a car show will recognize the rarity of these wheels, or will just assume that they're incorrect '76 and up style.

Post a pic of yours when you have a chance please.

You will see the wheels in some of the old GM photographs. I've seen pix of Zora Duntov and others testing 74s at Milford and the cars are running the YJ8s.
Last time I was at the NCM, one of Zora's early 70's was there and I'm pretty sure it was wearing the YJ8's because I called the tour guide out on it as to "Those aren't the correct wheels." :) I don't recall if he said they were YJ8's or not. But Zora being Zora and getting whatever you want, they probably are the real deal.

I recently purchased an NOS set of the 1973 YJ8 wheels from a very old collection in the Mid-West. Though the owner would not include the GM boxes, he was willing to part with the wheels. The wheels do reflect the correct casting numbers and other info (329381, XM, Date Codes of early March 1973). Though I intend to only use the wheels for show, is there any concern with having the backsides of these wheels clear coated for preservation purposes? Though my car was originally order with the YJ8 option, the factory substituted the deluxe wheel covers in place of the aluminum wheels. Fortunately the original owner, for whom I purchased the car from many years ago, saved all the documentation surrounding this purchase.

Thank you.

I saw your post. Where did you get the wheels? I own a set of the wheels. I have 40 lug nuts. There were two types of lug nuts. I have seventeen of the first type and twenty three of the second type. If you can find my previous posts you will obtain a fair amount of info on the wheels. I have an original box shipped from American Racing in Torance Ca to GM with the original part number. You should look for a set of the lug nuts at a Cosworth Vega site or club. The same lug nuts were used on the Cosworth Vega.

Somebody in NY is selling reproduction lug nuts on Ebay. I purchased twenty of the original lug nuts from a fellow NCRS member from Arkansas over the winter. They are in original boxes with correct part numbers.

You can see the part number in my id photo.

What are the dates of manufacture of your wheels. The date is in the circular casting on the reverse side.

I have a 1980 set of Kelsey Hayes wheels. The Lug nuts are completely different.

With this down economy my business is booming, I will be traveling in July and August. I plan to be at Carlisle on the 28th.

The wheels on Zora's car are 3 Am Racing and one other. You should refer to Ed Mc's NCRS article in the mid 90's about the wheels. He has photos of my wheels.

Does anybody recall when the contract with American Racing Corporation was cancelled? My car was ordered in October 1972 with the wheels. I was told the wheels were cancelled in November 1972. The wheels were subsequently purchased in 1972. My car was finally built on 2/20/73. One of my wheels was built 10/11/72. The other three were built in October 1972.

There were engineering test mules at the Milford Proving Grounds with YJ8's as early as 1971. I would think that it might be possible that some of those wheels survived somewhere and would have dates earlier than 1972.
In 1972, in the Milford Vehicle Safety Lab, GM tested prototype YJ8 wheels molded in SMC. The SMC wheels were a collaboration between GM, Dow Chemical, A.O. Smith, Owens Corning Fiberglass and General Tire. In impact tests, the plastic wheels faired quite well. Where an aluminum wheel would break and lose tire air pressure suddenly, the SMC wheels would tend to crack and lose tire pressure gradually. The SMC wheels weren't that much lighter than aluminum wheels. The SMC wheels also required more finish machine work than aluminum wheels and never progressed further than prototypes. At least one SMC wheel survived for a time at the Dow Chemical TS&D lab in Freeport, Texas but disappeared sometime in the early '80's, probably after an house cleaning exercise or as an retirement gag gift.

Yj8

On the subject of YJ8's,. I'm sure the older people among us remember the Magician series with Bill Bixby. The pilot episode aired in fall 73 had him driving the 73 car with the regular rallye wheels, but first episode of the series had him driving a 74 with the YJ8 wheels. That was the first time other than the magazine tests that I actually saw them. That car was one of two 74's they appear to have used for the remainder of the, too short, series. The YJ8 car was swapped a few times for a car with rallye wheels over the remaining episodes. Oddly if I remember the shows correctly the YJ8 car had a standard interior, and the rallye wheel car had the deluxe, so if the episodes are watched in freezeframe, you can see that they just didn't swap out the wheels now and again. I managed to find after years of hunting a complete DVD set that sadly has never been released on VHS, or DVD:confused

On the subject of YJ8's,. I'm sure the older people among us remember the Magician series with Bill Bixby. ... I managed to find after years of hunting a complete DVD set that sadly has never been released on VHS, or DVD:confused
You can find clips on YouTube (here)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom