Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1974 L82 power window problems

N

nick

1974 l82 power window problems

the power windows on my 74 l82 quit working, but will sometimes mysteriously start working again for about a day and then quit again. any suggestions???

Hi nick and welcome to the CAC!

Your problem sounds eerily familiar:eek. The drivers power windows in my 71 is a little twitchy too. I took the door panel off and found that the connection to the motor was just barely hanging on and when I tried to squish it with pliers the connector came off. I was in a hury so I just wrapped the wire back to the connector to get back on the road. Of course, my intention was to fix it but I still haven't gotten around to it.

Your problem is probably a similar loose connection or short. Start with the connections in the door as that is a likely culprit since the connections in the door take a lot of abuse after nearly 30 years of being slammed around when the door is closed. If that doesn't fix it, start tracing the wires cause it does sound like a short to me.

Good luck!

I agree with 71Shark (that it's probably a short). I had a similar problem with my driver's side door, and it was a nearly broken wire in the door close to the rubber wire guide between the door and the body. After splicing it, the window worked fine.

would that cause both windows to fail at the same time. i thought of a short too, but figured that wasnt it because both windows will stop working at the same time. thanks for the help guys.

Nick. There is a relay in the power window wiring. What happens is that your power window 12+ comes in from the fuse block on the large circuit breaker fuse. This goes into a relay that is powered up by ignition on only. From there, the power goes into the switches and from the switches to the motors.

My guess is that the ground on the relay, or the relay has gone bad.

Go get a new relay and replace it. While you are there, trace the ground wire back and make sure it has a good clean connection.

I am actually not sure exactly where your relay is. On 78 and up sharks it is in the center console just forward of the shifter. Yours should be in that general location.

Good luck

Nick,

I concur with Chris. I had a Pwr window fail that smelled like a motor problem. Now my '81 doesn't have the relay (even though the Shop Manual says it does), and started testing at the switch forward. Voila!! One $35 switch later and it's fixed. Start easy and work to the hard stuff.

............ Nut

nick said:
would that cause both windows to fail at the same time. i thought of a short too, but figured that wasnt it because both windows will stop working at the same time. thanks for the help guys.

Sorry, I didn't realize your problem was with both windows. My failure was only in one window. In this case, I'm jumping on Chris' bandwagon.

- Eric :w

thanks for you help guys!!! it was a bad relay.

The CAC does it again! Now aren't you glad you joined Nick? :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom