Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1976 parking brake woes

DanC

Corvette
1993 Ruby Red Coupe
Looking for advice. Any and all will be appreciated.

When I bought my 1976 Sting Ray the parking brake didn’t work. I spent some time over the summer trying to get it working. After getting the rotors off (of course the last guy to pull them didn’t bother to line up the holes on the axle flange) I was able to pry the adjustors off and free them up. I was also able to free up the lever and link at the top of the shoes which were also frozen.

After adjusting to factory specs (adjust till lock up, back off 6-8 notches), the lever slips out of engagement with the slot in the brake shoe when the parking brake is applied.

I’ve lubed all contact points except where the lever/link fit in the brake shoes.

I’d really like to avoid taking the shoes off if it’s at all possible. I’ve read enough about the horrors of dealing with that.

Any suggestions?

DanC - I had the same problems on my 76. I tried everything to avoid replacing the e-brakes, after hearing what a horror show it was. However, I had to bite the bullet and do the repair.

I would stongly suggest downloading instructions on the subject from "Rowley Corvettes". It is an incredible step by step manual and with it, the job was actually quite manageable. Although I have never thought of myself as a very good mechanic, I now have e-brakes! If you do replace stuff, definitely go with the stainless steel.

To little to late

I tried to replace the springs in the summer and yeah it was a PITA!!!!

And somehow the spring that holds the e-brake in place on the passenger side got knocked off somehow by the bolts on the hub (where you attach the tire rim) and made a mess.

Now I don't have e-brakes and it bites. Plus the SS springs cost me around $50 bucks.:mad

I am planning on giving them another shot really soon

DanC,
If the arm keeps coming off the brake shoes then the backing plates are worn out. You will have to remove the spindles to replace them.

Mike

Thanks for the responses.

Looks like I'll just have to bite the bullet and put in new parts. I do have the Rowley Corvette procedure, a HUGE improvement over what's in the factory service manual.

I really hope the backing plates aren't worn out. It would seem to me that if they are worn where the brake shoes make contact, the shoes would be closer to the link that applies the brakes and be less likely to fall out of engagement. Just thinking out loud.

Thanks again for the support.

Dan

DanC,
The backing plate supports the brake lever for the shoes.

Mike

Mike, thanks for clearing that up. I'm going to take a close look tomorrow.
Dan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom