Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1980 Corvette paint colors

F

fnsjr

Whould anyone know if the 1980 exterior color "light beige" or "frost beige" (I've seen it listed both ways), is the same exact paint color referred to as "beige" for the 1981 Corvette? I am close to purchasing a 1980 that I have only seen in pictures. In the photos the 1980 appears darker than the 1981 Corvette that I had prior. Also, as a bonus, would you know the differance between the 1980 "doeskin" leather interior color and the 1981 "camel" interior. The only reason I am considering a 1980 over the 1981 is because of the availability of the L82 engine, but if there is a noticable differance in these colors I might just pass on the '80. Finally, how mush am I overpaying for a 100% original, 1980 w/the L82, glass tops, alum. wheels and 56,000 miles. The dealer is asking 18,500.00 and will not budge. I really appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you, Fred

Welcome Fred,

I can provide my opinion ;)

1980 Exterior Color, "Frost Beige" Factory code number is 59.
1981 Exterior Color, "Beige" Factory Code Number is 59.

My guess is that these two colors are probably the same color or extremely close in color to each other. The 1980 and all the St. Louis built 1981's probably shared the same Laq paint codes, Bowling Green built 1981's beige and two tone Beige/Dark Bronze.. the Beige looks so close that I can't tell the difference, except as they get older with the aging process (fading) ;)

1980 Interior colors were either.... Doeskin (Ds) L59C or 592 Trim Code; or Oyster (O) 12C or 122 Trim Code..... there is no listing for "Camel"
1981 Interior color.... Camel (Cm) 64C or 642 Trim Code

This if from The Black Book, Looking in the 1981 Assy. Manual page 15D-6 one of the heading says "Doeskin" and the Code is 64C and 642L.. I don't have the 1980 Assy. Manual, so I can't compare the two..

I've heard colors called different things, I tend to go to the Trim Tag, get the number then work from there, that is if the car is still original or been repainted with original paint colors..

I've seen the 1980 and 1981 Beige cars at the same show and the only difference exterior wise that was striking to me anyways, was the badging ;)

Good luck and enjoy the hunt :Steer

Bud

Carefull that Frost Beige codes 59 and 50 listed in 81' are different colors. The actually GM library lists both as Frost Beige and the website lists them differently.
Code 59 is WA7084 <--this one is grayer
Code 50 is WA7498 <--this one is redder
Both were single stage colors.

Richard.

I believe the 1981 Code 50 is the Base Coat/Clear Coat paint from the Bowling Green Plant ... the 1981 Code 59 is the St. Louis Laq.. same code for the St. Louis Built 1980's

Reference: Mike Antonick "The Corvette Black Book" also for the 1981: 1981 Assembly Manual, and Richard Langworth's "The Complete Book of Corvette"

Bud

Rare81 said:
I believe the 1981 Code 50 is the Base Coat/Clear Coat paint from the Bowling Green Plant ... the 1981 Code 59 is the St. Louis Laq.. same code for the St. Louis Built 1980's

Reference: Mike Antonick "The Corvette Black Book" also for the 1981: 1981 Assembly Manual, and Richard Langworth's "The Complete Book of Corvette"

Bud
On my paint software it returns "no line found" for bc/cc in almost the entire 50's family. It appears the entire grouping was originally single stage colors.
It's important to know that for GM the code 50 is not a code for a color but for a grouping. The actual code is the WA# within the group. There are 14 colors in the 50 group and some 17 colors in the 59 group all with different WA#'s. And all being completely different colors. Both groups are still generating new colors.

Richard.

Code 59 = WA7084 (Laq. St. Louis Paint)
I don't know the WA # for the 1981 Base Coat / Clear Coat ;)

Bud

Rare81 said:
Code 59 = WA7084 (Laq. St. Louis Paint)
I don't know the WA # for the 1981 Base Coat / Clear Coat ;)

Bud
59/WA8509 bc/cc. But didn't begin until 83' and the toners are different. So the color is a bit different.
WA7498 group 50 was used 81' and 82' there again showing to have been used as a single stage. Here also the shade is different from WA7084.

Richard.

The outside color (50 beige was the two tone color top) have a different shade, but code 59 for both years look the same. 1980 doeskin is completely different from 1981 camel,the 81 camel is closer to a dark saddle. The 80 doeskin is similar to the C5 oak color interior. I had a 80 black/doeskin and my good friend bought a 81 black/camel because he liked mine. $18.5K is way too much for a 80 Corvette. It would have to be perfect right down to the correct Eagle GT tires. But if that's what you want, be careful. Good Luck.Save the Wave.>George

Thank you

I just wanted to thank everyone for your help with my paint questions. Your answers were very helpfull and really appreciated. Thank you again, Fred

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom