Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1980 Vette issues?

"Oyster" leather. Maybe the carpet is gray, but the seats (at least on my monitor) are definitely oyster. Looks exactly like my interior. :D

$7000 doesn't seem too bad. I know 10+ years ago I paid $7500 for mine and it was much worse off.

I'm sure you're right. "Oyster" is a perfect description. I used the word, grey loosely as the leather is off-white, but not beige.

How long did it take you to get your Vette restored? It is gorgeous, and the graphics (correct term?) are awesome.

I'm sure you're right. "Oyster" is a perfect description. I used the word, grey loosely as the leather is off-white, but not beige.

How long did it take you to get your Vette restored? It is gorgeous, and the graphics (correct term?) are awesome.
I didn't come up with description of "oyster". That was GM's choosing back when they released it. :D

As for my ride...("Thanks!") It's been a work in progress since I bought it back in '94. The initial years were getting it back to a relatively stock, safe working condition. The next years were spent doing performance upgrades. Then the paint job in 2001. Since then, it's been upgrades to newer/updated components, such as the Steeroids and the 700R4.

The 'graphics' are actually painted, they aren't decal sets. They look better in person though, as the camera has a difficult time accurately representing the fades.

I didn't come up with description of "oyster". That was GM's choosing back when they released it. :D

As for my ride...("Thanks!") It's been a work in progress since I bought it back in '94. The initial years were getting it back to a relatively stock, safe working condition. The next years were spent doing performance upgrades. Then the paint job in 2001. Since then, it's been upgrades to newer/updated components, such as the Steeroids and the 700R4.

The 'graphics' are actually painted, they aren't decal sets. They look better in person though, as the camera has a difficult time accurately representing the fades.

Although my cars are red, I'm actually partial to the color blue. I tried to check out your photos at http://photos.yahoo.com/EvolutionCAC - but got an error message. Do you have another home page with pics of your car?

Again, your car looks great... one of my favs here at CAC. Your CAC photo of your Vette and motorcycle got alot of "ooohs" and "aaahs" from my kids too!

Ralph

I tried to check out your photos at http://photos.yahoo.com/EvolutionCAC - but got an error message. Do you have another home page with pics of your car?
Ah, I guess that yahoo account went inactive. I have some pics up at CarDomain as well as some, I think at my Flickr page. I don't really maintain my CarDomain page. Both it and Flickr were simply used as a place to host pictures for posting in the forums. The Fllickr page has the hi-res pics...

1980 owner here

An 80 is a great entry level (or any level really) Corvette. Especially for the first time vette owner. When you do your Vette history, HP ratings fell hard from 1974 to 1979 (160hp Eeeeks!). They also got fat & heavy. Fortunately, In 1980 things started looking up again. They car lost a lot of weight through smarter engineering. My 1980 weighs 2877 on the truck stop scale. A 1975 can weigh up to 800 more pounds!!! Also in 1980 the HP ratings went back up to 230hp for an L82 and the newer front & rear fascia greatly increased aerodynamically (and aestetically too).

Plus, a 1980 (most of them) didn't have the new computer controlled ignition/emissions stuff yet. It is still the last of the tall-geared, carburated Corvettes.

Like you, I did a ton of research, read books, talked to other Vette owners & came away with a great car. When I bought it, it had just been repained, a new 350cu in was put into it. I got it after a few hard days of bargaining for $7,200.

7-26-06Vette51.jpg

In my OPINION...Don't get a C4! When we have Vette Cruise-ins or Vette events people all hang around the C2's & C3's. Even the C4 guys will tell you the C3 is a much more sexy & handsome car.

Plus, everywhere I drive:
1. young kids "WOW MOMMY, Look at that CAR!?!?"
2. Teen agers, "Dude, you must be rich" or "Cool car mister"
3. 20 year olds "Wow, what is that?"
4. 30 year ols "Oh, those are so cool/ Nice car/ my dad, uncle, cousin, neighbor had one of those"
5. 40 year olds "Oh man, I always wanted one of those."

For what it's worth...Get a Corvette & Chevy Trader magazine.
You'll see an average price for C3's go like this:

1968 to 72: $29,000 to $60,000 (big blocks bring in big $)
1973 to 74: $9,000 to $17,000
1975 to 78: $3,500 to $10,000
1979: they tend to creep back up slightly:$5,500 to $10,000
1980 to 82: $7,500 to $19,000 (L82's & 4 speeds increase this average).

I'm just posting average's from the trade publications. This is in NO way an offense to Vette owners of 74 to 78 car at all. I am reporting not judging.

Cool?

Andy

Ralph,

Hagerstown is not a bad drive from here. I'm definitely interested in your friends '80. Pics look nice. Everything working properly?

Here is my email account...if you want to send me their phone number or email address I will give them a call.

hannanron@netscape.net

Thanks!

Ron

After checking out a couple of C4s...I'm with you. They just don't turn my crank like the C3.

I found an '81 here in P-burg last night. It's the best I've looked at yet here locally, but it needs some TLC. It has a spoiler kit on it which looks good but I imagine hurts it's resale value. Non-stock hood. Body has a few bubbles on top of the door and a small crack on the front drivers side fender near the hood line. AC pump is locked up and the horn doesn't work. Other than that it appeared that it would make a decent 'driver' to tinker with. But they are wanting $8600.

I've located a couple of cars near Columbus that look to be VERY nice. Had hoped to get up that way on the weekend...but this car Ralph mentions looks like a much better deal...I may be headed toward Haggerstown on Sat! LOL

Keep the info coming guys. This is a hoot. I'm excited as heck! Feel like a kid in a toy store. Ha!

Ron

Other than that it appeared that it would make a decent 'driver' to tinker with. But they are wanting $8600.
Sounds a bit high for what you describe. Ya have to figure that you aren't going to catch everything on your first and second inspections of the car. Plus you've got to deal with computerized carb controls..blah!
I prefer computers on my desk, not under the hood. :D (<- Not entirely accurate, but for the sake of this conversation. ;))

I'm still trying to gauge what is a good deal...I guess when I actually find a car that speaks to me...I'll just have to decide if the price is also agreeable.

It is hard to find all of the blems, etc with a quick first pass of a vehicle. You can usually tell pretty quickly though when one has been cared for properly...that goes for about any vehicle.

Thats the thing !

I dont think we can ever find all the blems on these older cars.. they just pop up in their own time.. not ours.. or the previous owners !

Look for a car that seems to be well cared for and cross your fingers and flags !

My speedo needle did not shake driving it in PA.. It was only a week later when it was here in OH that it began to shake a bit.. and then.. zap !:L

Enjoy the Hunt !! That is part of the fun.... and then the fun really begins ! You can add your armrest.. or special floor mats.. or whatever ! Just have fun with it !

Tom

I'm still trying to gauge what is a good deal...I guess when I actually find a car that speaks to me...I'll just have to decide if the price is also agreeable.
I guess that is kind of a tricky question to answer. Ya probably need to determine what means the most to you, i.e., what parts of the car you want in what condition. Does a pristine engine bay work for you even if the cockpit is kinda ratty? Or vice versa? Solid and mechanically sound is good even if paint has blemishes? Basically, What are you giving priority to? Another way to determine the value as it sits it to determine what the are the first things that are going to need to be replaced / fixed. Get familiar with an Ecklers / Corvette Central / etc catalog so you have an idea of what costs what. Some things are cheaper than expected to replace, and others will make your eyes bulge.

I'd say that a 1980 - 1982 in EXCELLENT to MINT condition should run in the high teens to low 20's. Project cars / parts cars aren't worth more than maybe $3000 at the high end.
If you go looking prior to 1976, prices are going to go up the farther back you go. 1976 - 1979 are probably the least desirable years right now. (And for good reasons...)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom