Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 Corvettes are slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1981 was a bad year. 190 hp. Very slow.

Not sure what you are trying to say. 190hp is not as bad as most of the mid 70's vettes. They ran 180 to 185 in the L-48s, so are all mid 70's - 82 C3 L-48s slow? My L-48 4 speed can smoke the tires with little trouble. Yes, I have done a few changes, like intake, carb and 69' style side pipes.

So is my 185hp L-48 slow? I don't think so; and anyone who has taken a ride in the old girl can tell you SHE NOT SLOW. :beer

Gary

Save the Wave

Copdogcorvettes - Don't let kc(kinkycorvette) get ya, he's back on his laughing gas again. ;LOL

HEY - Post a few pictures of your Vette when ya have time! :thumb

:lou
L8TR - D

Well actual 1980 had a computer controlled carb. 81 added more computer controls. and dist. It actually worked pretty good; My 1st vette was an 80 with the 180hp 305ci. ait was a great driver. Preformed well and 20 MPG on the hiway. You could remove the engine from the computer and they still ran well.

Gary

:chuckle Slow... it's all in the Torq :chuckle

400hp ain't squat without getting it on the ground ;) and without All Them Coomputers in your 2 Corvettes... that OLD L81 190hp might even beat that fancy dancy Mega HP machines across the intersection :lou

I enjoy driving my 1981 more than my 2003 ... well aleast around town and on short trips... but the gas mileage and smooth confortable 03 gets the longer trips... Both have their moments ;) and neither one has a bottle for help :boogie

Bud

:chuckle Slow... it's all in the Torq :chuckle

400hp ain't squat without getting it on the ground ;) and without All Them Coomputers in your 2 Corvettes... that OLD L81 190hp might even beat that fancy dancy Mega HP machines across the intersection :lou esp. with all them computers turned off in them new things ;) The computer keeps them new things on the road nowadays... :D

I enjoy driving my 1981 more than my 2003 ... well aleast around town and on short trips... but the gas mileage and smooth confortable 03 gets the longer trips... Both have their moments ;) and neither one has a bottle for help :boogie

Bud

1981 was a bad year. 190 hp. Very slow.
I would rather have a 1981 Corvette than a 1981 Mustang. 140 hp. Very very slow. :chuckle

On a more serious note, are you kicking sand for any particular reason?

-Mac

I think, if we're going to hate 81s, we need to at least do it while we know the facts.

While 81 was not the first year for a computer-controlled Corvette engine, it was the first year computer controls were standard equipment on all Vettes.

1980 was the first year GM had computer engine controls on a Vette, but they were only on cars sold in California. Not only were CA cars unique for the computer controls, but the only engine available on Vettes sold in the land of fruits, nuts and high taxes was a 305 which was not available anywhere else.

Hib, As you can tell from my replies I had one of those Cal. 305's and was very happy with it. I'd still have, but for some SUV took the frontend off it. It was the best daily driver I ever had. Some didn't like them and others talk them down; but I'd take another anytime.

Gary

KingCorvette, if you are going to come in here and make such a simple post, then you at least need to do it with some perspective. The 1981 Corvette is slow compared to what? Or, in what respect? In the 1/4 mile? Top speed? On a particular road course?

Year for year, the Corvette was essentially the fastest American production car. What American cars were faster than the 1981 Corvette? Were there any? Even if there was one that was faster, if it's #2, that's still pretty damn good.

If your follow up statement referring to the computer controls was justification for the post, then it's showing some of your ignorance, as simply slapping on "computer garbage" was not the primary factor in giving the car a 8.3s 0-60 time. Duh! :eyerole

And to show how silly such a simple, trolling post you've made, I could just as easily say that "1995 Corvettes are slow," or "2009 Corvettes are slow." Slow compared to what? A Bugatti Veyron? Sure as hell they are!

So if you are going to pop into a particular forum and make such a generalized statement, at least give it some perspective. Otherwise, you really need to work on your trolling skills. They aren't very good. I suggest testing your skills in The Edge forum here or on a different site entirely. :thumb

Hey Bud! There's an echo in Amarillo tonight!:boogie
:L It was such a meaniful and thoughtful response I thought it deserved the echo :boogie Must of been a disturbance in the Force last night, or maybe RARE got on the 'puter last night after I posted and posted it ;shrug

Do folks that live in Florida need/use "Winter Meds??' I see in the C4 Forums that KingCorvette hates GREEN Corvettes too .... someone must pee'd in post toasties yesterday or he is just stirring up the swamp.

Whatever, it makes for good conversation and a keeps everyone on their toes. Opinions are like..... and as they say .... Great guy, just shits a little close to the house.... time will tell. "Go along to Get Along" ..... NOT!

I've said this a thousand times or more... "I've never met a Corvette I didn't like ;) "

Bud

When talking about 70s and 80s cars and horsepower, you have to put them in the perspective of the times. In 1981, what was faster than the Vette? I don't know the answer to that, but nothing pops into my mind. I had a 84 Vette, the last of the hated crossfires, and it is considered a slug today. I raced one in 84, and it was the fastest car on the course...every time. In 85 the only car faster was the 85 Vette. The 70s and 80s were tough on the automakers, and not just Detroit. The transition from dumping large quantities of gas through the largest carb you could find for performance was over, and the black art of horsepower through technology was years off. I'm just glad we made it to where we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom