Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1984 Corvette problems

Gordy

Corvette
1984 Red Z51
I have had this vette for 12 years or so and I havent run it much in the last 6 months I started it up the other day and it started fine. I then went to move it out of the garage and it quit running. It would start right back up but wont stay running you have to keep pumping the gas and it will backfire if you try to much fuel I first thought it might be fuel filter but then someone told me it could be one of the sensors. I went to local chevy dealer who over the years has been fairly good but what a price to pay. the fuel filter they ordered for me has the clamps on it but my book shows it to have fittings which require a wrench I didnt want to put it up on stands unless I have to and wanted to parts to finish the job also I see there are fuel filters in the injectors. It's been a good car and want to keep driving it only has 98k any idea or thoughts

That fuel filter should have clamps, 85up models have the fittings, it was probably a general picture of c4 fuel filters. You need to have your fuel pressure checked, low press. will cause the syptoms your discribing.

Thanks i will do that and the manual i was using is for 84-85 so your right on that one...thanks

yes,84 ran low pressure at 14lbs so clamps would be appropiate. Later yrs went as high as 60 lbs and required fittings or more HD methods of securing fuel lines.
get some good fuel thru the motor and see if the burping starts to go away when its hot. AT some point LUCAS injector cleaner would help to dissolve the gunk thats formed in areas where gasoline was allowed to set and turn to gel.

If its injectors that are gummed up badly, look at the videos in the thread on the tech side for a system of cleaning the fuel system on the car thats as good as any that I've seen. It's in a link to the side of one of the doz or so videos on fuel injectors and their maint.
Good luck with it.

Gordy,

If you continue to have problems you need to go over to Huntsville and see Zeke Jenkins at Corvettes Unlimited. He is the best in the area. I use to live down there and belonged to Valley Vettes. Also an excellent club.

Ron
"Baldie88"

Sounds like a candidate for Stabil or other fuel stabilizer! As routine I fill up in fall and add stabilizer since I use it far less over winter.

My Vette actually sat at my inlaws unstarted for 3 years. I had it towed and serviced and the shop was amazed how decent the fuel still was in the tank! :cool

And YES the clamps are the right ones for 84

... someone told me it could be one of the sensors. ...

People will TELL you ANYthing. Tell them to tell it to the hand, cause the hand don't care:

112588458_d8567b3774.jpg

Then offer them a

quarter.jpg

to call some one who DOES.

If you go to ANY mechanic, tell him you're from Missouri (the Show-Me state), and you want him to SHOW YOU what's wrong, BEFORE turning a wrench.

Of course, if you're rich, don't worry about gettin' a snow job from a mechanic; PM me some $$ tho?

edit:
What 'book' do you have? If it's 'Chiltons', or Hayne's', put in in the bathroom, and use it when the cardboard shows up.

3164059182_82c1286782.jpg

empty-toilet-paper_%7E583001.jpg

If you think you have Campbell's Chunky-Style gas in the line and tank, disconnect the fuel line at the intake, then bypass the relay for the fuel pump, and pump out the chunks with some line extension into a bucket.

Then replace the filter, fill the tank, and drive home. Go back and forth in the driveway for a few minutes, let the new filter pick up more stuff, and replace it again.

Then check fuel pressure...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom