Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1986 oil pan replacement

Raul_C4

Corvette
Cherry Red 1986 coupe
Hello ,
I am rebuilding my engine block , but for some reason when i purchased the recommended oil pan it was a 5qt pan and it didnt fit so i tried using a 6 qt pan and it was just under the right size so im pretty certain a 7qt pan will do the trick , but i am just confused on why the stock pan will not fit ?!!?! my crank is the same size and its a onepiece rear main seal and also the metal protector sheet that goes in between the oil pump screen and crankshaft was used when i took it apart so im using it again .
will a 7qt pan still work if i only use 5qt of oil ???
im just completely stumped and any advice will be greatly appreciated .
Thank you .

Hello ,
I am rebuilding my engine block , but for some reason when i purchased the recommended oil pan it was a 5qt pan and it didnt fit so i tried using a 6 qt pan and it was just under the right size so im pretty certain a 7qt pan will do the trick , but i am just confused on why the stock pan will not fit ?!!?! my crank is the same size and its a onepiece rear main seal and also the metal protector sheet that goes in between the oil pump screen and crankshaft was used when i took it apart so im using it again .
will a 7qt pan still work if i only use 5qt of oil ???
im just completely stumped and any advice will be greatly appreciated .
Thank you .

The stock oil pan was corvette specific, used a windage tray and was 5 quarts.
It also used a specific oil pickup tube for the oil pump.

Here's a picture of one on E-bay. also notice the oil dipstick is on the passenger side.

Not shown in the picture is the two retainer bars that the oil pan used to prevent over
tightening of the oil pan bolts.

85 91 Corvette C4 Oil Pan with Windage Tray and Oil Pickup | eBay

Last edited by a moderator:
The stock oil pan was corvette specific, used a windage tray and was 5 quarts.
It also used a specific oil pickup tube for the oil pump.

Here's a picture of one on E-bay. also notice the oil dipstick is on the passenger side.

Not shown in the picture is the two retainer bars that the oil pan used to prevent over
tightening of the oil pan bolts.

85 91 Corvette C4 Oil Pan with Windage Tray and Oil Pickup | eBay

Will a generic pan work ? i.e. a morso 7qt pan I am waiting to be delivered?

Just to clarify...
You rebuilt the stock engine and now the pan that was originally on it doesn't fit?
What does it not fit on? Did you install a different oil pump? If so, you may need to adjust the pickup height.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom