Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1987 Z51 Component Question

c4cruiser

Corvette
87 Gold Z52 Coupe 02 EB Z51 Supercharged Coupe
Did the 87 Z51 package come with a power steering cooler? The service manual shows one that says it's specific to Z51 Is there a specific RPO code for a cooler? The RPO listing page doesn't show a specific code for a PS cooler.

I just found a leak in the steering rack on my Z52 87 coupe so I'll be replacing it soon (going with a Z51 rack as an upgrade) and because I do track days and autocross with this car, I thought a PS cooler would be a good add-on.

Any suggestions for a source for a factory cooler or should I consider an aftermarket cooler?

In 1987, the RPO Z51 package was refined to include structural enhancements developed for the convertible, and a finned power steering fluid cooler. As you know, new RPO Z52 "sport" handling package combined elements of Z51 with the softer suspension of base models. RPO Z52 included the radiator boost fan, Bilstein shock absorbers, engine oil cooler, heavy-duty radiator, 16x9.5-inch wheels, faster 13:1 steering ratio, larger front stabilizer bar (except early production), and the convertible-inspired structural improvements for coupes. Z52 was available with coupes or convertibles, automatic or manual transmissions.

The power steering fluid cooler wasn't available as a separate option, at least it's not a listed option.

c4cruiser said:
Did the 87 Z51 package come with a power steering cooler? The service manual shows one that says it's specific to Z51 Is there a specific RPO code for a cooler? The RPO listing page doesn't show a specific code for a PS cooler.

I just found a leak in the steering rack on my Z52 87 coupe so I'll be replacing it soon (going with a Z51 rack as an upgrade) and because I do track days and autocross with this car, I thought a PS cooler would be a good add-on.

Any suggestions for a source for a factory cooler or should I consider an aftermarket cooler?

If you're goin' racin', you need the PS cooler. The stock part is a good choice because it's easy to install.

It certainly does look to be an easy install according to the manual!!. But is this a dealer-only part or is there a chance to get one from other parts sources? I can buy a Z51 remanufactured rack through my shop easy enough, but my concern is finding a source for the cooler (and the small bracket on the driver's side!).

As a side note, I flushed the (probably) original PS fluid last fall and installed Red Line synthetic PS fluid. Could this be part of the problem with the leak? I'm having to add a couple ounces every hundred miles or so. The leak is coming from the passenger side of the rack at the seal.

Because the car sees lots of track and autocross use, I decided on using synthetic fluid and adding the cooler (if I can find one) should help with keeping the PS fluid temps down.

The service manual say you should not use ATF fluid as that will cause leaks. Has anyone had issues with synthetic PS fluids like Red Line or other similar brands or types??

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom