Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1988 Engine Pull

Corvette
1988 Bright Red Coupe
I’m need to pull my 1988 C4 engine which has a manual trans. Any advise on:
1) Pull engine alone or pull 4+3 manual trans all together? Can the engine slide forward enough to disengage from manual trans or do I need to first drop the manual trans?
2) Can I lift the engine by two bolts into the ends of the aluminum cylinder head or do I need to go into the cast iron block?
3) Can I pull it from the side or do I need to remove the hood and pull from the front?

Hood stays on
Some have taken out as complete unit I prefer to split.
For a manual , easier to drop trans first because little room to move engine forward to clear clutch.Auto can do with trans in car.
Remove dist and wiper motor
Remove C beam , wiper mtr and dist .If taking out bellhousing with trans ,lay engine back with floor jack under oil pan until it hits firewall allowing easier accesss over top of trans to top bellhousing bolts.Remove trans.
Hook up hoist , take out 2 engine mount bolts and take weight on engine while shaking forward. Engine will shift forward and up

When I pulled the 350 out of my 89 and installed a 406 I left the manual 6 speed in.
I removed the hood only 4 bolts to remove it and pulled the engine out the front.
Removing the C beam and tranny would be a lot of extra work. :upthumbs

Which one is the "C" beam are you removed?

Did you slit the engine to bell housing or the bell housing to trans?

We were attempting to slip the engine at the bell housing and have it all ready to go, but hit the wall attempting to remove the upper two bell housing bolts to the engine! Any advise?

So, my next plans are to:

1) We have the oil pan off so I'm going to remove connecting rod and main caps hoping to find a bad bearing. If only bad bearings, I can replace from the underside. If the crank or a rod is bad, I will then pull the engine. To pull the engine, I will lower the exhaust and trans. Then remove the engine and bell housing together? Will that work?

Which one is the "C" beam are you removed?

Did you slit the engine to bell housing or the bell housing to trans?

We were attempting to slip the engine at the bell housing and have it all ready to go, but hit the wall attempting to remove the upper two bell housing bolts to the engine! Any advise?

So, my next plans are to:

1) We have the oil pan off so I'm going to remove connecting rod and main caps hoping to find a bad bearing. If only bad bearings, I can replace from the underside. If the crank or a rod is bad, I will then pull the engine. To pull the engine, I will lower the exhaust and trans. Then remove the engine and bell housing together? Will that work?
The C beam is the piece that connects the rear end to the tranny.
The top bell housing bolts are a bitch to remove and put back in.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom