Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1988 hard brakes ???

fille9

Corvette
1988 35th Anniversary Edition
My brakes actually scare me. I know that this is common with 88's maybe someone has a solution. My ABS light is on and I never hear that motor go on after initial movement. Even before the light went on the brakes werent that good. I recently had the power booster replaced and I swear now the brakes are even worse.. The old booster was defective. The rotors are good the pads are good. Ant suggestions thank you in advance..

good vacuum?

With the age of the car, I would make sure that the vacuum hose sucks; errr, is not cracked and that it seals well to pull properly on that new booster, which hopefully, is a good unit.

I cannot help with the ABS light issue.

No brake system should scare you, especially Vette brakes. :w

That is, unless, the fright is due to a "Holy Face Plant, Batman. This car REALLY stops."

It sounds like you have two problems.

The first is obvious....your ABS has failed.

The second might not be so obvious. You say the brakes "scare" you. Is this becuase the pedal effort is high?
The pedal is soft?
The brakes pull?
The car shudders during brake applications?

Usually, ABS failure does not degrade the base brakes, however, there are unusual situations where a problem with the ABS modulator valve assembly can degrade base brake performance.

Recently "Corvette Enthuaist" magazine published a series of articles about C4 ABS diagnosis. I'd contact the magazine and see if back issues are available. It contains some instructions on how to diagnose the 86-89 ABS systems. Also, I'd buy the factory service manuals for 88 and refer to its ABS instructions as well.

As for the problem with the base brakes, we can't help you too much there until you, at least, answer the questions above.

The pedal effort is very high and it takes some time to stop the car when going over 40-50 mph or so..I wouldn't want to get into a situation where I must stop to avoid an accident..

With a hard brake pedal I would suspect the booster is bad or you have no vacuum to it.

Glenn
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom