Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1989 C4 Convertible is DEAD!

Mason

Corvette
1989 Convertible
Hello CAC group!!!

I’ve been working on my vette this winter getting it ready for the warm weather that’s sure to come back up to Canada soon….(I hope!)

On Saturday I went to crank it over and the following happened;

1-There was no resistance or “spring back” from the ignition key, it just simply turned on but the car was dead!

2-Needless to say I took apart the steering column and did my research but I’m stuck on the following question….

Is it the ignition switch on the column or is it the ignition cylinder were the key goes in that has that resistance or “spring back”??

I can manually play with the rod and get my dash lights on (see pic below) and see it move with the key in the ignition but it won’t spring back to the closed /off position.
C:\Users\r005207\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif
C:\Users\r005207\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image004.gif
IMG_20140301_202412 (2).jpg

I thought of purchasing a new ignition key and cylinder (once I get my key read so I know what code it is) and I was thinking of purchasing the ignition switch (GM part #1990096) located on the steering column. Maybe even the VATS bypass moduale so I wont go through this @#&^*%^ crap again…

All this to say, I could sure use your expertice on this issue and confirm I'm on the right path ......

Thanks and hope to hear from your guys soon,

Moving out of the Site Help and Feedback forum and into the C4 Tech Forum......

I know the older GM's like my Camaro had a spring in the switch itself to snap it from "start" back to "run" when the cylinder was released.

First of all, welcome to CAC....:cool!:

My money is on the ignition switch down on the column...the "spring back" you're refering to is in the switch, but I would suggest getting a factory service manual and do the checks to pin it down the easier way; it beats throwing good money at the problem without results.

:thumb:thumb

Last edited:
First of all, welcome to CAC....:cool!:

My money is on the ignition switch down on the column...the "spring back" you're refering to is in the switch, but I would suggest getting a factory service manual and do the checks to pin it down the easier way; it beats throwing good money at the problem without results.

:thumb:thumb

Well, I dedicated the weekend to my issue and with all your help plus a good wrench from my local GM dealer. It was the ignition switch at the base of the steering column that was defective. So out it went and at the same time I put in a new ignition cylinder and key. She started right up!!!!!

Thank you all for your help once again...THIS SITE ROCKS!!!!:happyanim:

Mason,

P.S. more pics to come....
IMG_20140309_183937.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom