Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1991 Corvette Problem

Joe Carideo

Corvette
1991 Polo Grenn Convertible
The engine starts immediately and the car runs perfectly (55,000 miles). When the engine warms(after about two miles ) it will stall. It is starving for fuel. It will not re-start. It turns over but will not start. If you wait an hour when it cools it will start immediately and run through the same process. The water pump has been replaced. All injecters have been checked all OK. Cooling sensor has been replaced. It has good pulse and good spark. Fuel filter has been replaced. Everything seems to be in order. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the CAC. :beer

If you don't already have one, get a fuel pressure gauge that can attach to the schrader valve on your fuel rail. Tape the gauge to your windshield so you can read it while driving and also as to allow the hood to close. Drive the car (or just let it warm up) so you can see what the fuel pressure does when it gets to the stall condition. Sounds like it could possible a relay or the fuel pump is cutting out when it gets warm.

Have you checked to see if the car has any codes stored?

Sounds like something is happening after it goes to "open loop" and all the sensors come into play.

could it be something as simple as a fuel line collapsing, maybe by the filter?

Sounds like something is happening after it goes to "open loop" and all the sensors come into play.

You are correct, Tom, except you have it backwards. :chuckle

Open loop is when engine is cold.

Closed loop is when engine is warmed up and reacting to all the individual sensors.

Open loop has the engine running off of predetermined values in the ECM/PCM.

SAVE THE :w

Thanks John...have you ever heard of this proplem before. My mechanic has worked for hour annot figure this out. Joe

You are correct, Tom, except you have it backwards. :chuckle

Open loop is when engine is cold.

Closed loop is when engine is warmed up and reacting to all the individual sensors.

Open loop has the engine running off of predetermined values in the ECM/PCM.

Sorry, I stand corrected. But my thinking is correct I believe.

I think the fuel pump is getting warm and Quitting!!!!!:thumbCheck the fuel pressure,the pumps do this more than people think!!:upthumbs

But my thinking is correct I believe.

Tom, your thinking is absolutely correct! :upthumbs

Since the problem starts after the engine is warmed up, I would start by checking for codes. If not codes are present, I would do what the junkman says. Check fuel pressure. If the fuel pump warms up and the pressure drops, the engine would exhibit those symptoms.

Being that the Vette is a '91, the codes can be retrieved with a paper clip.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom