Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1991 smog pump

Fast Freddie

Corvette
1991 White Convertible
i went to replace the smog pump on my 1991 yesterday only to discover i was sent the wrong part. looks the same, until you look at a little better. the one on the car had 8mm bolts holding the pulley on and also in the back mounting bracket. the replacement had 6mm bolts to hold the pulley on, and for the rear mounting bracket. not that bad, but the real problem was the mounting pad for the metal tube that goes to the diverter valve ( correct item name? ). the pad it mounts to on the pump was twice as tall on the replacement pump as on the original. don't seem like much just lookin at it but it was enough to cause the tube to hit the water neck and prevent the pump mounting holes from lining up with the mounting brackets. my parts guy ordered another one. this time it came in with 8mm pulley mount holes, 6mm rear bracket mount holes and a tall air tube mount pad. 3 pumps, 3 different configurations. apparently the rebuilders just strip the pumps and reassmemble out the first part they grab out of the parts bin. parts guy has ordered 5 more to try to get me the right one. may have to take 2 and make one. just thought i would put this out there for anybody that may be looking at replacing thier pump.

i went to replace the smog pump on my 1991 yesterday only to discover i was sent the wrong part. looks the same, until you look at a little better. the one on the car had 8mm bolts holding the pulley on and also in the back mounting bracket. the replacement had 6mm bolts to hold the pulley on, and for the rear mounting bracket. not that bad, but the real problem was the mounting pad for the metal tube that goes to the diverter valve ( correct item name? ). the pad it mounts to on the pump was twice as tall on the replacement pump as on the original. don't seem like much just lookin at it but it was enough to cause the tube to hit the water neck and prevent the pump mounting holes from lining up with the mounting brackets. my parts guy ordered another one. this time it came in with 8mm pulley mount holes, 6mm rear bracket mount holes and a tall air tube mount pad. 3 pumps, 3 different configurations. apparently the rebuilders just strip the pumps and reassmemble out the first part they grab out of the parts bin. parts guy has ordered 5 more to try to get me the right one. may have to take 2 and make one. just thought i would put this out there for anybody that may be looking at replacing thier pump.

I'm having the EXACT same problem with my 90. How do you get this solved?

I'm having the EXACT same problem with my 90. How do you get this solved?

oh man...........that was a long time ago. i think i had my parts man keep getting diff pumps in until we found a match..............it for sure took several pumps to find one that everything lined up................i do still have the car and can take a pic or two when i get home tonight.

oh man...........that was a long time ago. i think i had my parts man keep getting diff pumps in until we found a match..............it for sure took several pumps to find one that everything lined up................i do still have the car and can take a pic or two when i get home tonight.

No need. I don't need a picture. I know exactly what the problem is (besides the varying bolt hole sizes)... its the surface where the tube bolts up. On the ones I've tried its about 1/4 inch thicker and that makes that tube not bolt up because it hits the water neck. I have to find the EXACT casting or get this one rebuilt (which no one in town seems to do). Ugh!!! I'm off to yet ANOTHER store after already trying two from Autozone. I'll keep trying! Thanks!

FOUND ONE!!! Took some driving around to different parts places yesterday but I got it! Woo Hoo!!!! Thanks All!

Believe it or not, O'Reilly Auto (the old Checker Auto). Only one of their stores in town had it. I even had called around to see if anyone could rebuild the one I had and no one was willing! Sheesh! I also called Ecklers and explained my situation but they had no idea what I was talking about. Oiy :ugh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom