Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1992 Serpentine Belt Diagram

Corvette
1984 Black Coupe (sold) 1992 White Convertible
Hi, I recently purchased a 92 White Convertible, after selling my 84 last year. The serpentine belt broke off the other day when I bought it. I bought a new belt and figured it would be a simple job, as it was on my 84. I am following the routing diagram under the hood along with the one in my haynes manual and it just doesn't seem right. It looks odd and I am having a difficult time getting the belt over the alternator pulley and I have no more room to move the tensioner. I verified with autozone that I have the right belt and they confirmed it was. Any one have a picture of what this belt looks like on? Any tricks to getting it on? Any help much appreciated. Glad to be back in the corvette community! Take Care.:beer

The belt should be a two-sided belt for the 92. Unless someone along the way changed the set-up.

It is a VERY tight fit. I found doing the following things helped immensely!

You must make sure the tool you are using for moving the tensioner will move it through its entire travel. This means starting with the tool in the most relaxed setting so you will be able to move it through its whole range.

If you can start the belt on the alt pulley, you can turn the engine over with the ignition to move the belt the rest of the way onto the pulley.

SAVE THE :w
[/FONT]

The belt should be a two-sided belt for the 92. Unless someone along the way changed the set-up.

It is a VERY tight fit. I found doing the following things helped immensely!

You must make sure the tool you are using for moving the tensioner will move it through its entire travel. This means starting with the tool in the most relaxed setting so you will be able to move it through its whole range.

If you can start the belt on the alt pulley, you can turn the engine over with the ignition to move the belt the rest of the way onto the pulley.

I thought it should be a two sided belt because the one I took off was, however I just thought that is was one of those gator belts. The one I have from Autozone is only one sided so I must have the wrong belt. I thought it seemed odd to have a flat side go over a pulley that had the ridges. I'll have to go directly to Autozone. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks.

NAPA should have the correct one or be able to get you the right one!

belt...

Rider,

Go to a REAL auto parts store. A NAPA (as mentioned) affiliate or Parts Plus affiliated store.

The people at the RetardedAuto and Auto Zone don't tend to be 'parts' people.

hth,

Jim

Rider,

Go to a REAL auto parts store. A NAPA (as mentioned) affiliate or Parts Plus affiliated store.

The people at the RetardedAuto and Auto Zone don't tend to be 'parts' people.

hth,

Jim

I checked with Napa, they want 53 for the belt! Plus they have to order it and it could take up to a week to come in. Pep boys wants 33 and they have to order it too. Autozone can't even order it for me, carquest would have to order it too, and so would Advance Auto. Tomorrow I'm going to call the local chevy dealership to see if they have one in stock because I can't wait to get the car on the road. :eek:hnoes

belts and things...

Rider,

Like with so many other things you truly get what you pay for with belts.

I'd imagine that the belt from NAPA will be a Gates and that is top of the line stuff.

PepBoys has crap just like any other cheapo store.

The Chevy dealer should be able to have it for you the next day.

How many times you want to change the belt?

Jim

Rider,

Like with so many other things you truly get what you pay for with belts.

I'd imagine that the belt from NAPA will be a Gates and that is top of the line stuff.

PepBoys has crap just like any other cheapo store.

The Chevy dealer should be able to have it for you the next day.

How many times you want to change the belt?

Jim

I understand what you are saying. I guess I'm just anxious to get the car on the road. I'm on vacation this week and I just got the car home on Friday. I haven't even been able to start the car since having it home because the battery is dead, and won't hold a charge (because the belt isn't turning the alternator). I'll be going to the dealer first thing in the AM to try getting the belt. Regards. :beer

I understand what you are saying. I guess I'm just anxious to get the car on the road. I'm on vacation this week and I just got the car home on Friday. I haven't even been able to start the car since having it home because the battery is dead, and won't hold a charge (because the belt isn't turning the alternator). I'll be going to the dealer first thing in the AM to try getting the belt. Regards. :beer

I got the belt this morning from a dealer that was about 30 mins from my house. No one in my state had the belt, except for one dealer, who wanted 91 dollars for it! The one I bought it from charged 63 with tax and it is a genuine GM part, so it should be of good quality. This belt went on in about 6 minutes flat, compared to the hour I was struggling with the wrong belt from Autozone for nothing. Now I just have to wait for the battery to charge and fire it up. :w

The stealership with the $91 price should be reported to the GM Regional Office. While the belts are expensive, a reasonable price would be in the $45 to $60 range depending on where you can get one.

Only the 92 and the early 93's got the two-sided belt but you can do a conversion to a siglel sided belt by changing some of the pulleys.

Also, toss the Haynes manual or just place it in a Sani-Can as backup for toilet tissue. It's pretty much worthless for woring on C4's as the info is generic and there are too many differences between the early and later cars.

Get the real GM Factory Service Manual set from Helm www.helminc.com or find a set on eBay. you might even find a set in the parts for sale sections. The cost for new books runs about $100 or so but they are the same books that a GM tech uses at a dealer. They are worth their weight in gold if you plan on doing any work on your own car. They even are a big help to the Techs at your favorite auto repair facility if you have the car serviced.

one sided vs 2 sided

Today I went and bought a new serpintine for my 1993. The napa agent asked if I needed one or two sided. We gambled and I got the one sided. Indeed the one on my vette is a one sided. Since Ive owned it since it was 8 months old, and Ive never replaced it, I have to assume that indeed the one sided is what I need (26K miles). I also assume that the way to tell the differnce between the one sided vs two is obvious by the treds. Your comments and thoughts please.

BTW, there are very few times in my life where I buy something in San Diego and think that I got a bargin, but, it was $39.00 :)

Thanks

Today I went and bought a new serpintine for my 1993. The napa agent asked if I needed one or two sided. We gambled and I got the one sided. Indeed the one on my vette is a one sided. Since Ive owned it since it was 8 months old, and Ive never replaced it, I have to assume that indeed the one sided is what I need (26K miles). I also assume that the way to tell the differnce between the one sided vs two is obvious by the treds. Your comments and thoughts please.

BTW, there are very few times in my life where I buy something in San Diego and think that I got a bargin, but, it was $39.00 :)

Thanks

you got a bargin....in s Texjas they sell for $59. (singles)

Not sure why a parts guy that knew how to look up parts on a parts inventory computer could come up with a 2 sided serp belt for your yr mk & model.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom