Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1993 with 108,000 miles

Dom C

Corvette
2005 Mag Red Z51 MN6
Guys,

I'm looking to purchase an 1993 coupe that looks like it is in decent shape. Is there anything I should look out for in this year?

Brief description:
6-speed. Air conditioining works. Owner replaced OPTI and waterpump. New clutch at 90,000. Rims and tires look good- 315's out back, 275's up front.
The hatch weatherstripping was just replaced. It has muffler eliminators (sounds amazing) and ram air.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dom C

The opti spark is always a point of failure in those years (before the vented versions) and the mono springs tend to delaminate.

The intake manifold also is prone to developing a small oil leak.

Pay attention to hood alinement and the condition of the rocker panels.

93 problems

check seat air inflaters--diafram easy fix-bicycle innertube
C D PLAYER-WILLNOT EJECT PROBLEM-$200 FIX
OPTI-ORIGNAL HAS NO VACUUM VENT THERE ARE AFTER MARKETS

FRANKS 93 RUBY CONV. 24000MI

Muffler eliminators, or at least what was on this car, was the absence of a muffler. Where the muffler would be, the was just pipe.

The sound gave an impression that you had the RPMs way up there with just a light touch of the pedal. Almost to a point where I was hesitant to release the clutch with the sound that loud. It sounded ok, but I wouldn’t do that on a car I drove frequently.

Try to find out if the new opti is OEM or one of the better after-market (Dynaspark, MSD).

Whether this is a good buy depends a lot on the price. What is the seller asking?

with any car with 100,000+miles, be ready to put cash out for repairs. But if you learn how to work on the car and do some of the work yourself, You will be proud of the car!!! Besides you can't be a couch potatoe all the time. Don't forget to the the spouse envolved to work also.

I would not specifically count this car out because of the miles, if that is what you are asking. If well maintained 108K isn't anything to be concerned with. The LT1 is a pretty stout engine, and if it has been properly maintained should go to over 200k, or so I've been told. There are some caveats that deal with the LT1 and they have been addressed in earlier posts (optispark being the big one). Just remember, it’s a 13 year old car and many of the same things you would look for/at on any used car is what you should concern yourself with a Corvette.

I had to have my Bose Head unit (CD/Radio/tape deck) fixed in mine, $115 for that (PM me if you are interested in “who done it”), at the same time I had all my Speaker Amps rebuilt, by the same outfit, $200. Total for head and amps was $315.

I am thinking you’ll probably not want to keep the muffler eliminators. They sound good now, but that will get old pretty fast I would think. I wouldn’t do anything but Corsa. JMO

Another thing to look out for is upholstry. If the leather (I'm guessing here) is torn it can cost quite a bit to replace/repair. If it just color worn/dried out there are products to bring it back to health, reasonably priced.

i am interested in who fixed your amps and head unit....it is always good to know

The company was Same Day Auto Audio Repair Service, find him on ebay.

thanks and very useful info for all of us that want/need a working bose system.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom