Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1994 or 1995 6 Speed Corvette???

D

DC3PLT

Hey ALL,

What a great site!!

I'm in the process of searching for a C4. I want to get either a 1994 or 5 6 speed.

Is the transmission in both considered a "ZF"??

What reason would you all have to buy a 95 over a 94 if the car was identical in appearance and options???

I'm slowly narrowing in to a 1994 convertible, 6-speed with 43000 miles. What do you all think about the mileage. Hi, low, good??

Thanks in advance for all your responses

Mike

DC3PLT said:
Hey ALL,

What a great site!!

I'm in the process of searching for a C4. I want to get either a 1994 or 5 6 speed.

Is the transmission in both considered a "ZF"??

What reason would you all have to buy a 95 over a 94 if the car was identical in appearance and options???

I'm slowly narrowing in to a 1994 convertible, 6-speed with 43000 miles. What do you all think about the mileage. Hi, low, good??

Thanks in advance for all your responses

Mike

Yeah the CAC is a great site and welcome to it!!!
Buy the '95 if the miles are less and it's an overall great car over the '94. Buy the '94 if it's calling to you. Sounds like it is. There's only a year's difference between them.
43,000 miles are good low miles. However, have you actually driven the Vette yet? Do the math, that's a 12 year old car. Check the hoses and all the bells and whistles to make sure everything is in good, working condition. From the headlight dimmer switch, horn and PKE system to the Delco Bose stereo to fog lights, suspension, etc... Check the under carriage. No runs, leaks, or drips. Good luck!!!
:Steer

’95s had continuing quality upgrades to help combat the C4s squeaks and rattles. Additional velcro was added in various areas under the dash to help quell the rubbing of parts under the dash. The CD player in the ’95 is supposedly less prone to skip due to a new bracket design. The optispark received additional venting to help with moisture buildup.

The ’94 had a reverse lock-out, this was done away with in ’95. Fit and finish are said to be improved every year, but I’ve seen ’94s with all around cleaner fit/finishes than ’95s, soooo... not sure about that one, maybe it was GM marketing types justifying their pay.

The trannys were both manufactured by ZF. Some prefer the prelock-out ZFs because they may shift a little smoother. I think GM had ZF alter the angle of the teeth to try and quiet the transmission. A result was a quieter tranny, but they are not as smooth. If I’m wrong on this one, someone will correct me. I had a ’94 6-speed and currently have a ’96 6-speed, they are both smooth, so no complaints here.

I would check the car over very carefully, if you are new to Corvettes, I would take a knowledgeable C4 owner with you. There is a lot to look out for, and the car should live up to the sellers description to the T. Both are nice years to own, but all things being equal, I’d opt for a ’95 for the improved quality, however slight it may be.

Exciting experience looking for a Corvette, good luck!

B17Crew
:w

While I have a suspicion that optispark woes are a bit overblown because of the internet, it is still worth remembering that they were improved for '95-'96 and not quite as susceptible to failure due to moisture.

If '95 is in your price range, it may also be worth it to hold out for a '96 with the LT4 engine for not a whole lot more money.

Just remembered, J55 heavy duty brakes became standard on the ’95 (same size brakes that had been standard on the ZR-1). The front rotors were bumped up to 12x0.79 inches, from12x1.1 inches on the ’94.

B17Crew

I if I remember correctly, the A/C in 95 was using R-134a in the system where as 94 was the last year for the R-12 refrigerant. It seems to me that the 134 seems a little colder than the R12, but that's just my opinion. The 95 also has different fenders in the front as far as appearance would go. That's all I can share from what hasn't been stated already.

GuyzVette said:
You guys are making my 94 feel bad, pointing out all of her shortcomings. :)

GV,
I had a ’94 Bright Aqua Metallic 6-speed and LOVED it! I put more miles on it than any C4 I have ever owned. It was reliable and provided me many miles of smiles (I know, sounds corny, but it’s true).

It was my first Corvette that I didn’t let sit in the garage, I miss that car immensely.

B17Crew

paulie said:
I if I remember correctly, the A/C in 95 was using R-134a in the system where as 94 was the last year for the R-12 refrigerant. It seems to me that the 134 seems a little colder than the R12, but that's just my opinion. The 95 also has different fenders in the front as far as appearance would go. That's all I can share from what hasn't been stated already.

Actually, 93 was the last year of R12. All GM models sold in the US & Canada were filled with R134a for model year 1994.

Steven

GuyzVette said:
You guys are making my 94 feel bad, pointing out all of her shortcomings. :)

The 94 had a few short comings, but I really like mine. However my 94 has the J55 brakes (13" fronts) which was the one that I was most concerned about. If you are drawn to the 94, I'd say buy it, you won't regret it. The miles are LOW. 44K on a 12 year old car? That's way below the average. And I wouldn't worry too much about the opti, just don't soak the engine compartment.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom