Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1995 Hard Start

Zo6 LVR

Corvette
2002 Electron Blue Coupe
95 LT1, started fine from last October when I bought it until about two weeks ago.
It used to start after just a couple of revs of the crank, now it takes a couple of times with the key cranking for it to fire. It seems once it has started and I shut the engine off, if restart right away or within 10-20 minutes it starts just like it used to, but if I let it sit overnight or for an hour or more it takes longer crank time to fire.
I believe the fuel regulator has a check valve? that could let releasing the pressure over time and when I restart after it sits for a while the pressure needs to build back up before it will fire. Also the service manual mentions a check for this condition and a check for defective injector leaking. I don't have a fuel pressure gauage yet. Does anyone know of a good way to diagnois this condition while I'm waiting for my fuel pressure gauge to arrive? Also, am I on the right track for this condition or are there other possibilities? Oh, I did put in a bottle of Techron fuel cleaner on a full tank just before this started happening.

That's exactly what I had wrong with my 93. Regulator was passing. Once I took it off you could tell there was trace gas where there shouldn't have been. If injectors pass it'll flood somewhat causing a hard start. I think your on the right track with the reg.:beer

That's exactly what I had wrong with my 93. Regulator was passing. Once I took it off you could tell there was trace gas where there shouldn't have been. If injectors pass it'll flood somewhat causing a hard start. I think your on the right track with the reg.:beer

Did you replace it with a stock GM regulator or did you use an aftermarket?

Hard start

Just went thru same condition on my 96 LT1. It lasted about 2 months then would not start at all. No fuel pressure, new fuel pump fixed the problem. Starts in one revolvtion

Just went thru same condition on my 96 LT1. It lasted about 2 months then would not start at all. No fuel pressure, new fuel pump fixed the problem. Starts in one revolvtion

Yea, that is what I don't want to have happen, the no start thing. Sounds like I have a choice or either the fuel pump or regulator. Do you know if when I put a gauge on it if it does not hold pressure after shutting the engine off if that indicates a pump or regulator?

The easy way to tell is turn off the radio and any thing else in the garage that makes noise. You can hear the fuel pump turn on with the ignition on untill it builds the correct pressure. I thought mine was fine untill I replaced it myself.Now you can really HEAR it. This is a easy job, it come out with the filler in one peice. The hardest part was removing the fuel lines from this unit then six or eight bolts and its out. Be sure to change the filter on the pump and the gasket around the assm. Whole process took 30 mins

hard start

Be sure to remove neg battery cable before removing pump. There is a lot of good info on this subject on this site. Read the one about keeping the fuel level up on your corvette

The easy way to tell is turn off the radio and any thing else in the garage that makes noise. You can hear the fuel pump turn on with the ignition on untill it builds the correct pressure. I thought mine was fine untill I replaced it myself.Now you can really HEAR it. This is a easy job, it come out with the filler in one peice. The hardest part was removing the fuel lines from this unit then six or eight bolts and its out. Be sure to change the filter on the pump and the gasket around the assm. Whole process took 30 mins

Thanks for the info, that doesn't sond too painful.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom