Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1998 Convertible Leaks

pbkahn

Corvette
1998 Triple Black Conv
I own a 1998 Convertible that is a daily driver. In moderate to heavy rain, water flows inside the cockpit at an annoying rate. Does anyone else suffer from the same plight?

Has anyone been able to successfully stop this problem?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Peter Kahn

Hi there,
While there have been some revised water leak and windnoise procedures for c5 convertible, leaks may be from 15 different areas within the top area.
I would need more information on this, before we could accurately continue diagnosis.
Where about is the water entering around the top area??
Please let us know so that we can proceed.
Besttoyou, c4c5:hb

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to the group, but I wanted to make sure that my description is accurate. The primary source fo the leak is at the junction of the front of the top and the top of the pillar that holds the windshield. At that point water flows into the cockpit.

Any suggestions?

Peter

H ithere,
Ok, that is good, now, is it coming from the actually junction of the top weatherstrip to the windshield weatherstrip??
Or is it due to the window not contacting the weatherstrip enough???
Lets continue, ok???
Besttoyou, c4c5:hb

I think that the problem is caused be a combination of the two factors; however, I think that the junction of the top and the top of the windshield contribute more than the driver's glass not mating fully.

I hope this makes sense.

Peter

I have been watching this thread with interest and it seems to have died. I also have a 1998 convertible that I use as a daily driver and I have the same problem with heavy water drip on the driver’s side (of course) when it rains. I now carry a towel that I throw on my leg and arm when it rains; although, I would not expect to have to do that with a high-end sports car. Besides, it looks kinda tacky.

It seems to be coming from the top, side weather-stripping where the roof and the windshield mate; it does not seem to be due to the contact of the window (but I could be wrong). What are our options besides re-weather-stripping the car?

Hi there,
For the first issue, you must increase window tip in on the window that mates with the weatherstrip. This is done, by loosening the 10mm retaining nut, located at the bottom of the door.
This is under a black rubber plug, and once removed, you can access the 10mm nut.
I would suggest that you have a person lean in at the top of the door glass slightly, while you at the bottom loosen the nut. The regulator will move, and then retorque to 110 in lbs.
Please let us know how you make out.
As for the other complaint, from 98txred, please understand, that under normal service, you should not have to re weather strip the entire car.
I would suggest that you adjust your roof to windshield striker down 1/32 of an inch. This should increase tension on the weatherstrip, and stop the leak.
If you need further instructions, please dont hesitate to ask.
Besttoyouboth, c4c5:hb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom