Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 2001 C5 oil leak

Jjohns

Valve cover gaskets(both) just replaced. Still leaking oil. Oil is dripping off the oil pan. Would this most likely be an oil pan gasket leak or could it be coming from somewhere else? I am new to the forum and not a mechanic. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suggest someone actually take a look to see where it is leaking.

Mr. Sam

Thanks! Just got back from shop.....oil pan gasket is bad

Thanks! Just got back from shop.....oil pan gasket is bad

Hopefully your repair shop steam cleaned the engine area completely, installed a tracer dye in the oil, ran the vehicle for a long time, and then used a black light to find the oil leak. Any fluid leak should always be followed to it's highest point (fluid leak 101), repaired and then rechecked for any further leaks. The valley pan gasket is also a known leak area. Good luck with it. :)

They did clean the engine but don't know if they ran dye or not?
Wanted feedback on one more thing. My car has 94k at this time. I bought it a few months ago and do not know what oil was run in it. Should I go with a synthetic HM oil or just a synthetic oil?

Which oil pan gasket. Upper or lower?

Mr. Sam

I have always used factory fill in my Corvettes, Mobil 1. But I know there are other good synthetics out there. HIb (Halverson), our resident Corvette journalist likes Red Line products. Just make sure it meets the GM recommendations for your year.

By the way, my 01 seeped a little oil too, I never did figure out where.

Lower pan is simple. Do you plan on doing it DIY? I can provide the torque info.

Mr. Sam

I got it repaired today. Rear main seal leaking also! They did run some dye today and it looks like the rear main seal is all that's left. Hopefully I'm done with oil leaks for a very long time! Thanks for responding

I got it repaired today. Rear main seal leaking also! They did run some dye today and it looks like the rear main seal is all that's left. Hopefully I'm done with oil leaks for a very long time! Thanks for responding

Your shop is going about this backwards, cleaning and dye should have been the first thing to do, and repairing the lowest point of an oil leak should have been the last item to repair, not the first. Be very wary of what you are paying for. BTW, the rear main seal is not all that is left. Hope it works out for you. ;)

Replacing the rear engine seal is NOT an easy job. The whole drivetrain needs to come out. Based on what type of tranny you have there can be a lot to do or just not so much.

Mr. Sam

What should the gap be for ngk tr55 plugs? Just bought some. Thx for all the replies!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom