Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2002 Convertible Purchase

Bonnell

Corvette
2008 Convertible
Hi,

I should be able to pick up my '02 on Monday. I can't sleep! If I did everything right there is a link to a photo of it.

At your suggestion, I have asked the dealership to ensure that the column lock problem has been corrected. It is my understanding from reading the actual service bulletin (thanks for that) that once the fix is completed the column will no longer lock. Does this absolutely fix the problem? Can this happen at road speed?

Is there anything I need to know about the convertible top? My '88 is a coupe and my first was a '73 coupe so I have no experience with the convertible. I would like any suggestions on care and maintenance.

Once last thing, C4 that were newer than mine had terrible issues with the opti spark. Is the '02 more reliable? Can I pressure wash this engine?

As always, I appreciate your help. I have been able to do a lot of things on my '88 because I found help here.

Thanks,

J

Congrats on the purchase of ur Roadster!

Q1 - Does this absolutely fix the problem?​
A1 - From what I've heard - No

Q2 - Can this happen at road speed?
A2 - From what I've heard - No

Q3 - Is there anything I need to know about the convertible top?
A3 - Keep it up when stored, RaggTopp it every now and then.

Q4 - Is the '02 more reliable?
A4 - Are we talking Opti-spark? ;shrug

Q5 - Can I pressure wash this engine?
A5 - Yep (I pressure washed my C4's LT4 Engine)

Keep da Shiney side up! :lou

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Thanks for the reply. I have saved the link to RaggTopp and I will use this to clean the top. Yes, I was referring to the opti-spark. This is a real sore spot with many C4 owners and I have wondered if the version in the C5 is better.

I'll bet this weekend is going soooo ...sloooowww for you. ;)
Congrats and post some pictures when you get it.

:w
Guy

. Yes, I was referring to the opti-spark. This is a real sore spot with many C4 owners and I have wondered if the version in the C5 is better.

the C5 uses direct ignition each cylinder has its own coil and a short plug wire. there is no optispark. Congrats on the new ride.

I'm so excited for ya' I wet my pants !

VettBoy,
I think that may qualify as "TMI." :L

Bonnell,
As it's now Sunday morning, I figure you're going to have one VERY long day today, thinking of nothing else than your Corvette. Here's my suggestion: to get your mind off the fact that it won't be until tomorrow before you take the keys to your new Corvette, you should go online to the website of one of our supporting vendors, like Corvette America or Mid-America Corvette, and take a look at their product line. You may start developing a wish list!

-Patrick

I'll bet this weekend is going soooo ...sloooowww for you. ;)
Congrats and post some pictures when you get it.

Guy

Slooooooooow does not even begin to describe it! :crazy

I will post photos as soon as I can.

Congrats on the C5 convertible purchase - love those C5 'verts! :D

:w Jane Ann

Thanks Jane Ann. I have seen your post before and I have always admired your vette. It is really sharp.

I see you are on the Gulf Coast. I live in Arkansas but my heart and mind will always be in South Alabama along the coast where I was born and raised (and my family is there). I hope taht you did not suffer loss from Katrina.

the C5 uses direct ignition each cylinder has its own coil and a short plug wire. there is no optispark. Congrats on the new ride.

No opti spark is good news I guess. Does each plug having it's own coil make it more costly to tune up and maintain? Is there anything that I need to know about special maintenance for this ingition system?

VettBoy,
I think that may qualify as "TMI." :L

Bonnell,
As it's now Sunday morning, I figure you're going to have one VERY long day today, thinking of nothing else than your Corvette. Here's my suggestion: to get your mind off the fact that it won't be until tomorrow before you take the keys to your new Corvette, you should go online to the website of one of our supporting vendors, like Corvette America or Mid-America Corvette, and take a look at their product line. You may start developing a wish list!

-Patrick

I am WAY ahead of you!! :D I already have a wishlist that I intend to order next week (including the chrome flags to put between the exhast) and I already have my Christmas list (including the beautiful hood liner with the C5 logo).

I am also going to need some of cupholders from our friend Guy:

http://webpages.charter.net/ggwright/vetteholdero.htm

I downloaded the '02 users manual from Aurora40 and read the entire thing!

I found a link on Ebay with many photos of a vette that is identical to mine except mine is auto and this is manual. I have spent many hours looking at these photos. My wife thinks I'm nuts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002...98QQihZ001QQcategoryZ6168QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

No opti spark is good news I guess. Does each plug having it's own coil make it more costly to tune up and maintain? Is there anything that I need to know about special maintenance for this ingition system?

The C5 requires very little in the way of tuning. I have owned two, a '97 and an '02 for a total of 6 years. The engines have been rock solid and trouble free. The electronics can present problems, but I have found the C5 to be very reliable overall.

That is good news. My '88 has been very reliable. I have 165K miles and still going strong. It has been my daily driver. I intend to treat my C5 as a fun car instead of a daily driver.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom