Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2004 C5 purchase help

R

ralph958

Hello everyone ,
i have been thinking about getting a corvette . I found a 2004 black c5 . It has some issues and I wanted know if anyone thinks they are worth ignoring or not . First off , it is a six speed with the oak interior . It has the Bose speakers and remove able top. It has 32,000 miles on it.
It has two approx 1 inch nicks in it . They are deep . One on the door and one on the back of the hatch. It looks like someone removed the top and dropped it right on the corner where the passenger side door opens. There is a decent dent right on the corner of it . When i took it for a ride , it rode and shifted great ( except for that annoying 1st to 4th shift). When I apply the brakes , there is heavy modulation felt at the pedal . It feels like warped rotors . It also will need tires real soon. I got the guy Down to $21,000. Are these issues big (expensive) problems ? Is that a good price ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HI...welcome to the party....can you post some pics of the damage...I'm trying to figure out where exactly it's dinged.....

Hi Ralph,

First of all, welcome to the Corvette Action Center. Secondly, welcome to the world of Corvettes! Your life is going to change drastically with a Corvette in your life, but it will be a good change.

Tires will be quite expensive, especially if you continue with "run flats". The damage could be expensive, too, depending on how anal you are. I would have to have them fixed if it were my car. The brakes sound like they might need some work, too. And if the problem is the rotors, they can be pricey. The "1 to 4" thing can be resolved relatively inexpensively.

Over all, $21k isn't too bad for a 32k mile 2004. Do some research and keep learning about Corvettes. Does it have heads up? Does it have a 3LT option package? How about the exhaust? Original or after-market? And just an opinion from me personally...black shows every single flaw, never stays clean! You might spend more time cleaning than driving!! :L

Let us know how you make out.

Elaine

The 2004s were really good cars, and your price is right. You can program out the skip shift and the brakes are no big deal. I have purchased American made slotted rotors and ceramic pads on eBay twice for C5s. They performed flawlessly.

The body work may, or may not be an issue, depending on your local resources. Some body or detail shops can do wonders on spot repairs, but you'll have to find them. Non-run flat tires for the C5 begin under a grand installed.

BTW - black with tan guts is a great color combination that you don't see every day.

Welcome to the CAC!! :w

I researched Vette's a LOT before I bought mine. The majority of info I got right here on the CAC. If you look under the TECH header, there is TONS of info, right down to deciphering the VIN and option codes that are on the little sticker in the glove box. Since I bought mine over the phone sight unseen (except pictures), I double checked the code sticker in the glove box against the options listing under the TECH header. That way I knew for sure what the car had and what it didn't.

When I got to the dealer (600 miles from my house) to take delivery of it, I thoroughly inspected the car using a printed version of the 'BUYING A CORVETTE' section under the aforementioned "TECH" header. Here is the link to the inspection list. I recommend using it to its every detail. I didn't realize how much I DIDN'T know until I got the car home. Everyone on CAC has done me wonders!

I also did the NADA value on a '04 C5, 32k miles, optional roof...link below. By the time you get done fixing the flaws (dents, dings, tires, brakes, etc), you're cost of ownership is prolly gonna be at the retail $$ amount.

I was told by a member here on CAC to "find the best car that you can for the money you want to spend. Don't buy the first car you find just because it's there." I'm glad I followed this advice. Thanks Huskerman :thumb
Good luck and enjoy!! :beer

Corvette Action Center | Tech Center | Buying a Corvette

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2004/Chevrolet/Corvette-V8-6-Spd-AT/Coupe-2D-AT-6-Spd/Values

Last edited:
Hello everyone ,
i have been thinking about getting a corvette . I found a 2004 black c5 . It has some issues and I wanted know if anyone thinks they are worth ignoring or not . First off , it is a six speed with the oak interior . It has the Bose speakers and remove able top. It has 32,000 miles on it.
It has two approx 1 inch nicks in it . They are deep . One on the door and one on the back of the hatch. It looks like someone removed the top and dropped it right on the corner where the passenger side door opens. There is a decent dent right on the corner of it . When i took it for a ride , it rode and shifted great ( except for that annoying 1st to 4th shift). When I apply the brakes , there is heavy modulation felt at the pedal . It feels like warped rotors . It also will need tires real soon. I got the guy Down to $21,000. Are these issues big (expensive) problems ? Is that a good price ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone for you're input. I guess I shouldn't jump at the first one I look at. Here are some photos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 104
I'm thinking replacing that top might be cheaper than trying to repair it. The scratches are do-able.

Those hard water deposits bother me more than the scratch........eeehhwwooo. Those look like they have eaten into the clearcoat and would be extremely hard to get out. Catbert is right a new top would be easier and probably cheaper than trying to fix that one. I like the color combo though.

Those hard water deposits bother me more than the scratch........eeehhwwooo. Those look like they have eaten into the clearcoat and would be extremely hard to get out. Catbert is right a new top would be easier and probably cheaper than trying to fix that one. I like the color combo though.

I know the paint finish looks bad but it actually is in good shape . It had rained recently. Well what to you guys think ? Worth $21k ? Should I keep looking ? Anything else I should examine on the car ?

If those spots were a result of recent rain, then it probably hasn't been waxed recently. A waxed car wouldn't spot that bad. Honestly, I'm in the business of selling used Corvettes, and I would keep looking. There are thousands for sale out there. Don't jump into the first one you see. Take the time to research and talk to people who know these cars, and your chances of finding just the right one will happen! :)

Elaine

Ya...what Elaine said....or make them an offer of 18K and then take a walk if they say no.....why don't they fix the dings and try and get more money for it...?

Ya...what Elaine said....or make them an offer of 18K and then take a walk if they say no.....why don't they fix the dings and try and get more money for it...?

Yea I was also wondering why they wouldn't fix the brakes , rotors , put new rubber on it and ask top dollar. They are an Audi Dealership and the sales manager told me that they decided just to turn it over as is. They are claiming that is way below market value. To be quite honest with you guys , I don't know whether that is the truth or not. I'm confused of what is the going price for a 2004 c5 because I've such a large range of prices. I must admit though I thought that $21k for a c5 with only 32k miles was way below market value for a2004. That's why I thought it was a good deal. Now I'm not sure . If you guys think I can do better , I will keep looking . Thanks again

Welcome to the CAC! And to a fellow Pittsburgher! :w

I won't bother to echo the good advice given by everybody else thus far. Just wanted to add the following information:

Should you decide to buy this vehicle, replacing that solid (i.e., painted) targa top might prove challenging. You'll almost certainly have to find one second-hand/salvaged, as they are not available through Chevrolet any longer. I know, since I recently went through the hassle of tracking one down myself, for my '98 coupe, when I decided I wanted to have the painted top on the car (it did not come equipped with a painted top originally). If the car you're considering does not already come with the other (dark, see-through acrylic) top, that may be a better alternative for a replacement; those may be a bit easier to find second-hand/salvage in good condition, won't need to be painted to match the body color (although you might get lucky and find a black solid top in excellent condition), and the dark acrylic top will look nearly the same as a black painted top anyway.

Look for evidence of leaking/water damage on the passenger's side (upholstery, carpet, etc.). That damaged area of the targa top may be allowing water in, since the weather stripping is not seating properly around the passenger's window -- and there's no telling how long it's been like that...

You might consult with Don Wolbert over at Wolbert's Auto Body & Repair in Crafton about the prospects of repairing that top, as well as the other body work. Wolbert's painted the second-hand top I got for Aztec Gold #15, and considering the color was challenging for even GM to get right (the reason Aztec Gold Metallic was discontinued), Wolbert's did a fine job. They also repaired a minor crack they found in the top when stripping it in preparation for painting. I highly recommend them.

A relatively good source on market value would be Kelley Blue Book. Just feed it the particulars of the vehicle you're considering, and it'll tell you whether you're getting a good deal or not.

Last edited:
Yes, keep looking hopefully you will find one from an individual that was well taken care of. My 04 has 160K miles and looks better than that.

Welcome to the CAC! And to a fellow Pittsburgher! :w

I won't bother to echo the good advice given by everybody else thus far. Just wanted to add the following information:

Should you decide to buy this vehicle, replacing that solid (i.e., painted) targa top might prove challenging. You'll almost certainly have to find one second-hand/salvaged, as they are not available through Chevrolet any longer. I know, since I recently went through the hassle of tracking one down myself, for my '98 coupe, when I decided I wanted to have the painted top on the car (it did not come equipped with a painted top originally). If the car you're considering does not already come with the other (dark, see-through acrylic) top, that may be a better alternative for a replacement; those may be a bit easier to find second-hand/salvage in good condition, won't need to be painted to match the body color (although you might get lucky and find a black solid top in excellent condition), and the dark acrylic top will look nearly the same as a black painted top anyway.

Look for evidence of leaking/water damage on the passenger's side (upholstery, carpet, etc.). That damaged area of the targa top may be allowing water in, since the weather stripping is not seating properly around the passenger's window -- and there's no telling how long it's been like that...

You might consult with Don Wolbert over at Wolbert's Auto Body & Repair in Crafton about the prospects of repairing that top, as well as the other body work. Wolbert's painted the second-hand top I got for Aztec Gold #15, and considering the color was challenging for even GM to get right (the reason Aztec Gold Metallic was discontinued), Wolbert's did a fine job. They also repaired a minor crack they found in the top when stripping it in preparation for painting. I highly recommend them.

A relatively good source on market value would be Kelley Blue Book. Just feed it the particulars of the vehicle you're considering, and it'll tell you whether you're getting a good deal or not.

Thanks man. And yes it did have the see through top on it.

Thanks man...

No worries!

... And yes it did have the see through top on it.

That would certainly make the task of finding a replacement targa top easier. I don't know if the framework pieces for the targa top are still available from GM, but I got the impression from other folks on the forum that disassembling the painted top (i.e., to separate the solid panel for painting) was far more trouble that it was worth; apparently all of the pieces that make up the targa roof panels are bonded together somehow, and not really meant to be separated once they've been assembled. Not sure if that wisdom about disassembly extends to the dark, see-through acrylic tops as well, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Owning a C5 after having a C3 is a wonderful experience, choosing either to buy it or not is your choice but there are so many out there for sale. I agree black will show everything but when they are clean and waxed they are a sight to be seen.

Welcome to having Corvette fever every day now til snow falls, best of luck.
:w

Don't buy a Vette from a dealer unless you trust them completely. An oxymoron. Search for a private seller and you will get the best deal and more for your money. If this dealer wants 21K, he probably stole it from its former owner for 15 or 16K. If I were to sell my '04 Vert six speed with 9300 miles and new TSW wheels and tires and all original wheels/pieces and a lot of accessories like a GHL exhaust, I would be content with 26.5K. Most private guys/gals take extra care of their vehicles and fix a ding or replace tires or brakes. Dealers love you until you sign off on the sales paper that you bought their "unit" and don't let the door hit your backside on the way out. Certainly there are some dealers that do not fit that mold but I dare say that the place this Vette is at sounds like the former.
Good luck hunting.

I'm asking myself why the original owner didn't take care of the issues as they arose? Is that roof panel bent in the corner? That will also be a nasty leak in any sort of rain. I don't know what the cost of replacement panels is but it won't be chump change and if you don't find a black clear set in good shape (I understand many are scratched), then you have the other gouge to deal with which the standard rate to paint a panel with no appreciable damage is $250 but that isn't for quality work so figure on more and then tossing in the rubber seals, you are at least $1,000 with just the paint and gouge issues. Tires, toss in another $1,000 and I don't recommend anything but a good run-flat fearing that any sidewall slash that you can't plug may mean waiting for a tow or taking a chance on chewing up a rim. I just sold a similar one with a serviceable set if Eagle's on stock chrome rims along with Khumo on HRE rims and a Borla with H pipe and tossed in the stock system. It also had a HUD. I got just under $18k for it with about 55k miles.

Recently I bought a 1998 vert in pristine condition ans only 6,000 miles for what you are paying for this. Granted, you have a more advanced suspension but the only issue I have to deal with is the seat slipping on the tracks. Also, the HUD was not an issue for me and I found it a distraction.

If the owner didn't keep up on basic appearance, are there other things that were overlooked?

Dealer story

2 years ago, I found a Z06 2004 at a Toyota dealership. It was advertised as owned by a local collector - in the Souderton PA area. The Toyota dealer/salesman told me that this was owned by a collector who had amongst his collection a Ferrari, a Lamborghini, a Shelby Mustang KR500 to nam just a few. The Z06 was the least valuable of all his cars so he sold it to the Toyota dealer. Touted as a perfect car with under 10k miles. I was ready to buy it at 28.5K which was the asking price. This was supposed to be a one owner Vette and taken care of by the owner who was a local surgeon by his private mechanic. The car turned out to be a five owner vehicle with the surgeon having owned it for only four months. Higher mileage and , in person, " rode hard and put away wet." The moral is unless you are buying from a reputable Corvette only dealer or someone on the forum, or other private person---keep looking.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom