Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2006 Chrome wheels?

gameprop

Corvette
2007 Lemans Blue Z06 & 1970 Green LT-1 Coupe
Hi to all. Getting ready to order my new 2006 convertible this week. I wanted to know what everyone has seen and/or heard about the new chrome wheel option for $1995? After all the warnings on this forum and seeing dozens of 2005 polished aluminum wheels in person that were indeed disappointing as most of you had described, I would prefer not to order polished aluminum this time around. I always have the option of ordering the stock wheels and replacing them w/aftermarket but that would likely cost about the same as the factory chromes and I'm more of an all original kind of guy. Please tell us what you know.

Chrome Wheels

I have seen some exchange programs for about $1,000 that offer stock C6 wheels that are chrome plated. When received you return your stock wheels.
I am looking at a four step process, one copper and then triple chrome.
That or aftermarket for me. Since the wheels come with the base car the $1995 is just for the chrome not a different wheel design. That is the way I see it anyway.

gameprop said:
Hi to all. Getting ready to order my new 2006 convertible this week. I wanted to know what everyone has seen and/or heard about the new chrome wheel option for $1995? After all the warnings on this forum and seeing dozens of 2005 polished aluminum wheels in person that were indeed disappointing as most of you had described, I would prefer not to order polished aluminum this time around. I always have the option of ordering the stock wheels and replacing them w/aftermarket but that would likely cost about the same as the factory chromes and I'm more of an all original kind of guy. Please tell us what you know.

At this point they are saying that Factory Chrome Wheels will not be available until December.

emcman said:
I have seen some exchange programs for about $1,000 that offer stock C6 wheels that are chrome plated. When received you return your stock wheels.
That or aftermarket for me. Since the wheels come with the base car the $1995 is just for the chrome not a different wheel design. That is the way I see it anyway.[/QUOT

Be careful with aftermarket chrome wheels. Make sure that they are covered under a decent warranty. If the chroming process is nor perfect, the chrome can peel due to moisture and you might be subject to flat tires every so often! This happened to me as a result of getting what thought were top notch chrome wheels from Tire rack.

Chrome Wheels

With run flats I agree it is best to keep air in the tire. I may go with Motorsport and buy them locally or go the factory chrome way myself.
I have not seen many postings here on exchange chrome wheels but there seems to be enough people doing it.

Greenie said:
emcman said:
That or aftermarket for me. Since the wheels come with the base car the $1995 is just for the chrome not a different wheel design. That is the way I see it anyway.[/QUOT

Be careful with aftermarket chrome wheels. Make sure that they are covered under a decent warranty. If the chroming process is nor perfect, the chrome can peel due to moisture and you might be subject to flat tires every so often! This happened to me as a result of getting what thought were top notch chrome wheels from Tire rack.

I talked to my dealer today - Red, you are right. The chrome wheels are showing as constrained for the beginning of 2006 production. How do you like that? Here's an option and a price... but you can't have it. Well I can't let this one thing dictate a car that the dealer has allocation for. I would pay $1000 for a solidly backed chrome wheel exchange program. Anyone with info on that, please share.
Also, I typically only keep my cars a year or so and this one will be no different as I am first on the list with a few dealers for a 2007 Z06. I am planning on ordering a very nicely equipped 6 speed 2006 vert (thinking everything but power top). It will likely be blue or triple black. Will make someone a nice car in a year if you know of anyone who prefers to buy mint used to new. In the past I have worked with a buyer a year in advance if someone is serious and has an option or two (even color) that they simply can't live without, I'll order it for them. I usually put less than 3000 miles on my cars.

From what I hear West Coast Corvette has the best wheel exchange for about $750 and the wheels look hot! westcoastcorvette.com

Lil' Red said:
At this point they are saying that Factory Chrome Wheels will not be available until December.

My local Chevrolet dealer indicated there were no constraints on factory chrome wheels and the QX3 option is available and could be ordered now for a mere $1995. My local dealer doesn't have an allocation at present for a coupe, so I must wait until they receive one prior to testing the waters and ordering the chrome wheels. Has anyone actually been able to order the chrome wheels for delivery prior to the December date that has been mentioned in several posts?

damocksta said:
My local Chevrolet dealer indicated there were no constraints on factory chrome wheels and the QX3 option is available and could be ordered now for a mere $1995. My local dealer doesn't have an allocation at present for a coupe, so I must wait until they receive one prior to testing the waters and ordering the chrome wheels. Has anyone actually been able to order the chrome wheels for delivery prior to the December date that has been mentioned in several posts?

The wheels will NOT be available until the end of Dec.(this from multiple sources)

My dealer confirmed yesterday through his GM rep that the $1995 chrome wheel option will not be available on Corvette until December or later so no chromies for me on my 06.

damocksta said:
My local Chevrolet dealer indicated there were no constraints on factory chrome wheels and the QX3 option is available and could be ordered now for a mere $1995.

Your local dealer is blowing hot air. As confirmed elsewhere in replies to this thread. QX3 is not now an available option and probably won't be until at least December and maybe later.

chrome wheels

Hi there
I bought a set of four C6 chrome wheels straight out for
$975.00 from Corvettes of Houston in April . Chrome lug nuts
and center covers. No trade in. Toad

Toad
How much will the charge be to mount the new rims?

It cost me $160.00 to balance all four. No scratches or marks of any kind.
Local firestone tire shop did them. Good luck.
Toad

chrome wheels

Lil' Red said:
From what I hear West Coast Corvette has the best wheel exchange for about $750 and the wheels look hot! westcoastcorvette.com

I just ordered them from West Coast Corvettes on Friday afternoon. They are shipping out Monday with 2 day delivery. Call and ask for Paul. I got a special price of $699 (reg. price $749) and roundtrip shipping of $180 (reg. $95 ea way). There is a core charge of $1,200 which is refunded when your stock wheels are received (as long as they are in excellent condition). The triple plating process includes nickel, copper and chrome. There is a 3 year warranty. These are not aftermarket wheels; they are original equipment wheels that have been chromed.

Edit: wheels came by FedEx Tuesday morning, a day ahead of schedule.

Chrome Wheels

Do your self a favor, don't buy the car. I got my 06 last night and had to walk home, Roadside Assistanse is a joke and so is the reliability of the car. All my Mobil 1 is sitting on the road. Make sure you get On Star, so when it breaks they can find you. Mine did not even make it home from the dealer.............

Timd said:
Do your self a favor, don't buy the car. I got my 06 last night and had to walk home, Roadside Assistanse is a joke and so is the reliability of the car. All my Mobil 1 is sitting on the road. Make sure you get On Star, so when it breaks they can find you. Mine did not even make it home from the dealer.............

OMG! The engine let go? Tim, this is distressing. With all of the talk concerning crankbolts, oil consumption and now this, maybe Ill take a different direction as well. Please keep us informed as to what happens and what the diagnosis is. What went wrong with Roadside NOassistance?

Timd said:
Timd,

First of all welcome to the CAC.

Second, since you're new to the forums I will let you know that we like to keep the posts on topic. In this case your post doesn't apply to the topic of chrome wheels. In forum speak, that is called hijacking as is detailed in the Acceptable Use Policy for the CAC.

I did notice that you have started this thread detailing the same experience you speak of here. To keep this thread on topic it would be best to leave this thread for the chrome wheel discussion and use your complaint thread to dicsuss the issues you are having with your car.

Regards,
Eric Whitaker

Eric said:
Timd,

First of all welcome to the CAC.

Second, since you're new to the forums I will let you know that we like to keep the posts on topic. In this case your post doesn't apply to the topic of chrome wheels. In forum speak, that is called hijacking as is detailed in the Acceptable Use Policy for the CAC.

I did notice that you have started this thread detailing the same experience you speak of here. To keep this thread on topic it would be best to leave this thread for the chrome wheel discussion and use your complaint thread to dicsuss the issues you are having with your car.

Regards,
Eric Whitaker

How about a little sympathy here! He lost his car!

Greenie said:
How about a little sympathy here! He lost his car!

No he didn't. Regardless, I still want threads in the technical forums to stay on track and not get hijacked.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom