Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2008 A-6 Dyno numbers

David Gordon

Corvette
2001 Silver Coupe./2008 Crystel Red Met.
385 hp and 380 tq. bone stock with 1500 miles.

Standard corrected or SAE corrected? Also, the sig line makes reference to 395 rwhp. Is that a different car or the same car after mods?

Standard corrected or SAE corrected? Also, the sig line makes reference to 395 rwhp. Is that a different car or the same car after mods?

I'm guessing it is the same car after a dyno tune and the Vararam intake he's got listed. :upthumbs

Those are good numbers, thanks for sharing David! :)

Jason

Yes those are the nimbers with the Vararam and a tune from LG Motorsports. On a side note the Vararam made absolutely no HP.

First, let me ask again, are the dyno numbers posted "standard" corrected or "SAE" corrected. I'm interested to know because there is often a noticeable difference between the two.

As for the VaraRam....this is the second time in the last few months that I've seen chassis dyno results showing no change after a VaraRam installation.

Yes those are the nimbers with the Vararam and a tune from LG Motorsports. On a side note the Vararam made absolutely no HP.

I cant say that I am surprised that the Vararam made not difference on the chassis dyno. I bet it will make a difference when you are at speed though. Its kind of like blowing on an open flame to make it burn hotter. When the fire is just sitting there, sure it's burning, but when you blow on it, it burns hotter and brighter because you are supplying more oxygen to the flame.

The Vararam may allow the engine to breathe better, but when it is sitting still, there is only the suction of the engine to move the air. At speed, you have 50mph + of air being blown into the engine, instead of being sucked into it. Try putting a high powered fan in front of the car next time you do a dyno tune.

:thumb Jason

First, let me ask again, are the dyno numbers posted "standard" corrected or "SAE" corrected. I'm interested to know because there is often a noticeable difference between the two.

As for the VaraRam....this is the second time in the last few months that I've seen chassis dyno results showing no change after a VaraRam installation.

These are corrected numbers. This was done at LG Motorsports in Dallas, Texas

These are corrected numbers. This was done at LG Motorsports in Dallas, Texas

(sigh)
I'm almost ready to give-up, here.

Ok...I know they are "corrected", but HOW were they corrected? There are two correction factors common in the U.S.: "standard" corrected and "SAE" corrected. Self-esteem challenged owners along with aftermarket marketing folks and tuners often use "standard". Automotive engineers use "SAE". In many cases there's a noticable difference in the dyno numbers between the two, with "standard" giving somewhat higher and, some say, unrealistic numbers.

Do you know what correction was used?

(sigh)

Ok...I know they are "corrected", but HOW were they corrected? There are two correction factors common in the U.S.: "standard" corrected and "SAE" corrected. Self-esteem challenged owners along with aftermarket marketing folks and tuners often use "standard". Automotive engineers use "SAE". In many cases there's a noticable difference in the dyno numbers between the two, with "standard" giving somewhat higher and, some say, unrealistic numbers.

Mr. Halverson
I am sorry to have cost you so much greif. I do know a little about corrected numbers myself as this is my little corvette and I do have a 800 plus 2001 monster. Not to mention the 3 previous LS1 cars before, and about 10 various mustangs and Cobras.
The numbers were CORRECTED SAE! Not standard. I didnt feel it nessassary to show that as most of the guys on here are more worried about what brand of floor mats they buy for their Vettes.

(sigh)

Mr. Halverson
I am sorry to have cost you so much greif. I do know a little about corrected numbers myself as this is my little corvette and I do have a 800 plus 2001 monster. Not to mention the 3 previous LS1 cars before, and about 10 various mustangs and Cobras.
The numbers were CORRECTED SAE! Not standard. I didnt feel it nessassary to show that as most of the guys on here are more worried about what brand of floor mats they buy for their Vettes.

Hib, David,
The digs need to stop. On both sides. This is supposed to be a civil discussion, right?
;squint:

-Patrick

David, Hib was just asking a simple question that makes a difference to those interested, including myself!

Here you (David) are upset he asked the question a few times thinking he was insulting your intelligence which he clearly wasn't (by the way, when you didn't answer the question correctly, I thought you didn't know the difference either)...and you go and insult everybody's intelligence that belongs to this forum.

Let me state right now that I don't give a hoot about the brand of my floormats!!! ;) :bash :L

Thanks for keeping on him for an answer Hib.

Chuck M

Hib, David,
The digs need to stop. On both sides. This is supposed to be a civil discussion, right?
;squint:

-Patrick

Sorry, Patrick, but you're off-base, here...way off-base. Prehaps that title "Moderator" has gone to your head. I'm not sure what a "dig" is in your lexicon, but it sounds like you're accusing me of being uncivil.

Get real, dude.

I've reviewed everything I've posted here and while I did express some frustration at not being able to quicky get an answer about the correction factor used in the dyno data, there were no "digs" and it remained a civil discussion.

I submit that, perhaps, you need to be concerned with some of the other places on the CAC where "digs" are really occuring and go "moderate" in those locations.

Now...the issue at hand:

(snip)
The numbers were CORRECTED SAE! Not standard.
(snip)
Thanks for that information, Dave.

Confronted with no indication of a correction factor in earlier post and because, in 20 years of technical writing and perhaps 200 or so passes on a chassis dyno in the process of doing that work, I have found that many times, people forget to include which correction was used and sometimes even offer data that's uncorrected, I asked the question.

I'll add that when atmospheric conditions make for high air density, uncorrected data is particularly appealing to the ethically-challenged. Clearly, this is not the case with you, thankfully.

If your car made 385 SAE corrected at the wheels in stock trim, that's about 450 at the flywheel, or about 20hp more than rated. That is an impressive car you have! Even more interesting is that, since it's an 08 which had only 1500 miles when baselined, it wasn't broken in. To make 20hp over the rated power in that situation is nothing short of amazing.

Clearly, GM Powertrain is building some outstanding LS3 engines which are actually making significantly more power than they say.

David, Hib was just asking a simple question that makes a difference to those interested, including myself!

Here you (David) are upset he asked the question a few times thinking he was insulting your intelligence which he clearly wasn't (by the way, when you didn't answer the question correctly, I thought you didn't know the difference either)...and you go and insult everybody's intelligence that belongs to this forum.

Let me state right now that I don't give a hoot about the brand of my floormats!!! ;) :bash :L

Thanks for keeping on him for an answer Hib.

Chuck M

My bad on the floormats!
Sorry Hib.
Just a side note the car is now at 395 and 395 SAE with tune. It runs better than my old Heads cam LS1 w/419 rwhp 399 rwtq.

I love these threads were everyone eats crow.

Which...I'm ready to do.

Patrick...I realize all you Moderators have a sometimes-s**tty job to do. I was wrong to get nasty with you but I'll admit, I got pissed at the implication that I was being uncivil in the process of asking pointed but legitimate questions.

Generally, CAC Moderators do a good job and are a valuable resource. We need you guys and I'm sorry for flaming you.

Ok. My work is done here.
I'm going to search dealers for one of those 385rwhp LS3s!

and it most likely never will on a dyno because DYNO #'s mean nothing. The car needs to be moving.Get going up around 45+ mph and then the VARARAM will start making power where it counts!

Patrick...I realize all you Moderators have a sometimes-s**tty job to do. I was wrong to get nasty with you but I'll admit, I got pissed at the implication that I was being uncivil in the process of asking pointed but legitimate questions.

Generally, CAC Moderators do a good job and are a valuable resource. We need you guys and I'm sorry for flaming you.

I appreciate that, Hib. I guess it was David's floor mats comment that drew my attention, and I wanted to prevent the discussion from going off-track.

Sometimes being a Mod means having to try and read between the lines of a poster's text and, in the absence of body language to give a clue as to context, make a guess about that context. If my guess was incorrect, than I, too, apologize.

We now return you to regularly scheduled Dyno-numbers discussion.
:)

I have OEM floormats. Do I need to modify? Maybe something in a NOMEX type stuff...:W

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom