Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2014 C7 Corvette Stingray Unveiled!

...as we speak the aftermarket is madly putting together a three bullet tailamp set up that plugs right in.......lol...

...as we speak the aftermarket is madly putting together a three bullet tailamp set up that plugs right in.......lol...
Actually, A LOT of time went into the tail light design. As per my discussion with Kirk Bennion, responsible for C7 exterior design, they wanted to move away from the round tail lights and take advantage of all the LED lighting technology that is currently in the automotive industry right now. As a result, and in conjunction with their desire to do something totally new in terms of design - they designed those tail lights - which I believe are compliant with European lighting regulations, or require just a simple fixture swap to be compliant in Europe. I need to go through my transcripts from the interview.

And honestly....you'll notice a big difference between a C7 and a Camaro when they're parked next to one another.

Actually, A LOT of time went into the tail light design. As per my discussion with Kirk Bennion, responsible for C7 exterior design, they wanted to move away from the round tail lights and take advantage of all the LED lighting technology that is currently in the automotive industry right now. As a result, and in conjunction with their desire to do something totally new in terms of design - they designed those tail lights - which I believe are compliant with European lighting regulations, or require just a simple fixture swap to be compliant in Europe. I need to go through my transcripts from the interview.

And honestly....you'll notice a big difference between a C7 and a Camaro when they're parked next to one another.
With that said....there will be NO mistaking a C7 Corvette for a Viper, Mazda RX7, Acura NSX or any other car out there like there has been in the past!

The more I walked around the C7 today.....the more it REALLLLLLY grew on me. It just looks totally BADASS!

I love the C6 design....and I often wondered how they were going to improve upon it with the C7....I honestly think they did a kick ass job with it.

And by the way....it was rumored that Porsche was caught checking out the C7 Corvette's interior today....but ya didn't hear that from me. :thumb

The C7 is totally over designed in every body panel. They had too much time and just kept on adding details. the rear is the worst. The shape of the tail lights and the fake little vents next too them. How childish!

The C7 is totally over designed in every body panel. They had too much time and just kept on adding details. the rear is the worst. The shape of the tail lights and the fake little vents next too them. How childish!

Interesting...now who told you those vents were fake?

...and the fake little vents next too them. How childish!
From everything I've been reading from trade mags and watching interviews with the Chevy staff, every vent/duct is functional and purpose-serving.

--------
Someone had said earlier that if the design of the car was simply 'evolutionary', it would've flopped because it wouldn't have been worth all the hype. If you're going to build a 'new car', ya damn well better make it look like a new car! The "win" here is that there's TONS of C6's and prior still available! For people that don't like the C7, they're going to find exceptional prices on the C6's and earlier!

As I and other will probably say a thousand times between now and the C8, if most peoples complaint is the styling, and specifically the rear end / taillights, this will all pass. The history of the Corvette shows this to be the case. Exposed headlights to flip-up headlights. Chrome bumpers to urethane bumpers. Vertical rear window to bubble rear window. Tapered rear bumper to ducktail rear bumper. T-tops to targa tops. Analog dash to digital dash. Single cam design to DOHC. Flip-up headlights to exposed headlights. Larger naturally aspirated engines to smaller force-fed engines. Now we're on to round tail lights to squarish tail lights. Next it will be a big brouhaha when they decide to go to a mid-engine design, a turbo diesel, or move away from pushrods. No matter where the car's design goes in the future, everyone will be able to find at least one year that is perfect for them. (And if you can't find at least ONE in over 60 years of production, well, then maybe you need to re-evaluate yourself. :D)

And I'm also all about the car having design cues from all over the world! The car needs to and will compete with other cars on the world's stage. Creating a vehicle that has global appeal visually can only help the brand in both recognition AND sales!
With the exception of a very few supercars, many have traits or designs of other manufacturers if you want to look hard enough. You look for anything long enough, you're going to convince yourself you've found it. But there's no mistaking that this is still a CORVETTE!!!

Last edited:
From everything I've been reading from trade mags and watching interviews with the Chevy staff, every vent/duct is functional and purpose-serving.

--------
Someone had said earlier that if the design of the car was simply 'evolutionary', it would've flopped because it wouldn't have been worth all the hype. If you're going to build a 'new car', ya damn well better make it look like a new car! The "win" here is that there's TONS of C6's and prior still available! For people that don't like the C7, they're going to find exceptional prices on the C6's and earlier!

As I and other will probably say a thousand times between now and the C8, if most peoples complaint is the styling, and specifically the rear end / taillights, this will all pass. The history of the Corvette shows this to be the case. Exposed headlights to flip-up headlights. Chrome bumpers to urethane bumpers. Tapered rear bumper to ducktail rear bumper. T-tops to targa tops. Analog dash to digital dash. Single cam design to DOHC. Flip-up headlights to exposed headlights. Larger naturally aspirated engines to smaller force-fed engines. Now we're on to round tail lights to squarish tail lights. Next it will be a big brouhaha when they decide to go to a mid-engine design, a turbo diesel, or move away from pushrods. No matter where the car's design goes in the future, everyone will be able to find at least one year that is perfect for them. (And if you can't find at least ONE in over 60 years of production, well, then maybe you need to re-evaluate yourself. :D)

And I'm also all about the car having design cues from all over the world! The car needs to and will compete with other cars on the world's stage. Creating a vehicle that has global appeal visually can only help the brand in both recognition AND sales!
With the exception of a very few supercars, many have traits or designs of other manufacturers if you want to look hard enough. You look for anything long enough, you're going to convince yourself you've found it. But there's no mistaking that this is still a CORVETTE!!!
And Hib Halverson's "Beacon of Reality" award goes out to you Andre!

Every single vent on the exterior of the C7 is functional and there for a specific purpose.

1. Corvette Engineering knows better than to put fake vents on a Corvette
2. Please do not make assumptions about something you have not physically seen or been educated on by those who designed and engineered the car.

Hey ROB

:happyanim:Better start another FORUM on the net called "JAP VETTES" made by GM.

Real Corvette lover are laughing at the 2014 model. U need to keep your good name with this action

:happyanim:Better start another FORUM on the net called "JAP VETTES" made by GM.

Real Corvette lover are laughing at the 2014 model. U need to keep your good name with this action
Really? And you just registered here and within minutes of me approving your registration you've made three posts slinging crap about the C7. U need to check your "intentions" at the door before registering here.....

Oh...and by the way....I walked by all the...."JAP" cars today at the show....and not one of them looks like the C7......

The truth does hurt

really? And you just registered here and within minutes of me approving your registration you've made three posts slinging crap about the c7. U need to check your "intentions" at the door before registering here.....

sorry if the truth hurts

sorry if the truth hurts
I'm not questioning truth. Because automotive design, whether you like it or not, is in the eye of the beholder.

I just find it ironic...that within minutes of registering here, you spewed a pile of bullshit...we'll call it...."your OPINION" about the C7.

I'll leave it at that....

Interesting...now who told you those vents were fake?

The tail light vents fake or real is not relevent. The rear of the car is over worked design wise. It is like a mongrel dog, a bit of everthing. It is lacking in a clean bold purebred Corvette design.

The tail light vents fake or real is not relevent. The rear of the car is over worked design wise. It is lacking in a clean bold purebred Corvette design.
I mean this in all sincerity... there must be some car out there that exemplifies your idea for "clean, bold, purebred" for the rear end, or at least gets close. What car or cars have that trait? (Hopefully, something I and other can google image search (Google Images)
I'm simply trying to get a better idea of what others gravitate towards.
:)

I cannot afford a new C7 without it being at the cost of other priorities at the moment like providing for my family and paying higher taxes to provide for others. So Im practical, and as thus I know (and already stated first) that this should bode well for those in my financial and family focused phase where a C6 is going to get more affordable. So please C7 fans, keep the C6s coming. I say this tongue in cheek, as I love ANY vette to be honest. But I can only buy what I can afford. My daily driver 90 is costing about as much to keep alive as a car payment, thats when its time to look for another. Silly me though, ill probably keep the 90 anyways as a backup vehicle. I will not sell it for the crappy BB price or trade in.

Thats not why I have a problem with the C7's butt, rather I like "old school" ties to the new generation vettes as they evolve. So Im OK with the front end and the side view even. Vehicles go through smooth to angular designs just as ties go from thin to fat over the years. The C7 is the angular look now. The butt however looks too much like the Camaro, put as much lipstick on it as you wish, but the pictures don't lie. Im also not that keen on having the Vette fall in line with Euro designs to get a wider appeal. In both these cases, to me… an engineer… this is leading from behind; not being the leader of the pack that others follow. When we look to Europe and their designs for inspiration or have to borrow from other existing designs, then IMHO the Vette is no longer inspired but rather perspired.

Fortunately, the butt end is just one view of the new C7… literally. From what I see and read there is so much in the interior that is higher quality and higher tech in the frame and engine; the standard offering is like getting a ZR1 plus the other upgrades. The new front and side views are unique enough for those that want other to know they don't have last year's model, have a lot to puff their chests about. Its definitely not a C6.

My last word of caution, that most of us old timers know, is that the first of any major revision change is usually fraught with bugs and unfinished business. Im betting the 2015 (next years second run) will be very solid indeed. Maybe lease the C7-R1 (or Mark1 if you like European lingo) and buy the C7-R2.

Whats great about this Corvette Action Center Forum is that we are all brothers and sisters smitten by the same infliction… the Vette. So lets be gracious of different points of view, and continue our zeal for the Vette being the best it can be… even if you own a 1974 like I do.

8)

Holy crap !! I was blown away by the red car with the black wheels, but the the
gray car is also stunning.

93coupe-Not sure what you mean by "over-worked design" but to each his own. Don't buy one.

Callawayvette- "jap vettes" Really?

C-7 in gray

Holy crap !! I was blown away by the red car with the black wheels, but the the
gray car is also stunning.

93coupe-Not sure what you mean by "over-worked design" but to each his own. Don't buy one.

Callawayvette- "jap vettes" Really?

Have to agree 100% on this. The first pics of the red one left me "upset" (especially the interior color combo) but I'm off to buy more PowerBall tickets so I can get a gray one. :thumb Especially like how the rear-end looks more unified with the gray/black combo and the cf roof blends in better too. Nice stealty, elegant look for out-to-dinner with my lady - and then the fast express back home.:naughty:
As to the tail light shape: my 92 has "square" ones so no big deal.....

Have to agree 100% on this. The first pics of the red one left me "upset" (especially the interior color combo) but I'm off to buy more PowerBall tickets so I can get a gray one. :thumb Especially like how the rear-end looks more unified with the gray/black combo and the cf roof blends in better too. Nice stealty, elegant look for out-to-dinner with my lady - and then the fast express back home.:naughty:
As to the tail light shape: my 92 has "square" ones so no big deal.....

As Kirk Bennion explained to me at lunch time, the Red one is meant to appeal to more track/performance oriented folks. The Cyber Gray one with the tan interior is meant to have more of an Aston Martinish feel and appeal to folks looking for more of a high performance boulevard cruising GT.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom