Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2300 mile vette trip!!!

G

Goose

I just reuturned from a nine day,twenty three hundred mile road trip in the vette. My wife and I rode the Blue Ridge Parkway from Ashville N.C. all the way through Virginia, then drove across Virginia into North carolina to the outer banks on the ocean, then returned home to tennessee. The vette performed perfectly and it turned over fifty three thousand miles while on the trip. The parkway was not crowded at all which allowed me to do some spirited driving (great curves) with the top off.
I would recommand this trip to all vette owners.

Goose, Keep on Cruising.

Sounds like my kind of road trip! New Zealand is only 1,000km top to bottom, on both islands, with a three hour ferry trip separating the two. It's hard to do a long road trip without repeating yourself!

Do you have to drive "more responsibly" than most because of your occupation?

Any idea of the sort of gas mileage you got on the trip?

Adrian

Sounds fabulous..... I long for a really long road trip like that. Would love to zone out for awhile and just kick back....... Got any pics???

I checked the mileage once and it was 21.3 mpg. As far as the driving, that was the great thing about it, the posted speed on the parkway was 45 mph, with yellow recomended speeds signs of 35 mph. I do not think I ever got over about 50 mph and with the curves at 45 it was great driving, you could go faster if you wanted, but not much. In one flat part of Virginia I did meet a Viriginia state police car on the parkway and when I looked down I was going 50 mph in a 45 nph zone. He flashed his head lights at me, I waved AND SLOWED DOWN. But the answer to your question is I do try to obey the speed limits as hard as it is at times in the vette.

My wife took six rolls of film, but I do not have the means of putting them on the internet.

You might be able to get the film developed onto CD-ROM as well as printed on paper. Then you could post pics!

Adrian

WOW! That's a road trip that most of us only get to dream about. Sweet! Stereo blaring. . .top down. . .OMG! And I thought my trip to BG was awesome.
:w
Goose said:
I just reuturned from a nine day,twenty three hundred mile road trip in the vette. My wife and I rode the Blue Ridge Parkway from Ashville N.C. all the way through Virginia, then drove across Virginia into North carolina to the outer banks on the ocean, then returned home to tennessee. The vette performed perfectly and it turned over fifty three thousand miles while on the trip. The parkway was not crowded at all which allowed me to do some spirited driving (great curves) with the top off.
I would recommand this trip to all vette owners.

Goose, Keep on Cruising.

Just finished at 3200 mile round trip from Phoenix to Oregon and back, through Utah, Idaho and over, returned through California. My car is a 1990 convertable so we could not drive with the top down as you have to get pretty resourceful to pack two weeks of cloths, etc. where the top goes! Ran the AC most of the way, averaged about 75-80 MPH and got 27.9 miles to the gallon. The best part of the trip was at the end of the day, I was not tired or uncomfortable from the drive (superb seats)! I would warn anyone taking I-5 south of Sacramento, that the slow lane POTHOLES just about wrecked us! People are right when thay say that California knows how to move people. With my Corvettes suspension I moved from the slow lane to the fast lane and back to the shoulder lane in a heart beat without turning the wheel!

The Blue Ridge highway is absolutely beautiful :beer It's been about, well, damn near 30 years since I've been out in that area, but the mention of it makes me think back to how awed I was as I traveled it. Great folks in that area of the country as well :w

I did a 2300 mile trip (San Fran to Detroit) but it was a one-way "Test Drive" Bought my LT4 in San Fran and drove it home to Detroit area. Heck of a way to learn my first Vette. Realized real quick I needed to buy a radar detector, which I got in Nevada. Saved my butt three-four times coming across country. I had a blast. Made sure I wound down the windows whenever I exited or entered the freeways, just to hear the roar.... Road Trips are great....

Take your pics to any Wal Mart. For $3.64 you can put all your pics on a CD. You can do it yourself or they'll do it for ya. You can then upload some pics here or send to anyone ya want to....:beer Sounds like a great trip...!!!

I did a 2,000 miles round trip, from near Sacramento CA to near Portland OR using secondary roads almost all the way to Portland, and 1/2 way back, then I 5 for the last 1/2 of the return trip. A C4 is great long distance car. The seats and stability more than make up for the less than glass like ride.

Damn, that's two posts on this thread alone with fellow vette maniacs comin' to my area and not even thinking of meeting up for a :beer That is just wrong :(

Moonunit 451 said:
Damn, that's two posts on this thread alone with fellow vette maniacs comin' to my area and not even thinking of meeting up for a :beer That is just wrong :(
Especially since Orygun has some of the best microbrews in the country. California has good microbrews too, but I need to do a few more years of comparing them to decide which state has the best. :)