Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

$26 vette paint job?

Would you paint your vette with a roller?

• I would totally do this!

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Absolutely NOT!

Votes: 73 73.7%
  • I am too chicken... but I would encourage someone else to do it!

Votes: 11 11.1%

• Total voters
Here is the original MOPAR thread

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Here is the Charger
DSC02769.jpg

DSC03375.jpg

DSC03362.jpg

DSC03384.jpg

DSC03403.jpg

He's got a blue VW beetle thats actually shinier. Probably put more time into it when he buffed it.

We used to paint our brake drums with Day Glo in the early 70's. Looked cool with deep dish chrome rims.

Man did I just date myself.......
I also remember, now I just date coded myself. I never did it but I remember it. I had a new 70 Z/28 back then bought from Berger Chevy. Window sticker $4064.++. I traded in a shoe box Nova SS 6 cyc. 64 I think.

I'm actually thinking about checking into this.The clear coat on my beater 94 Z28's black roof has started to come off.I really don't have the time or money(money that i could use on the Vette)to fix it properly.It can't turn out much worse than it looks now.

I may have to look into this for my Blazer, the paint is peeling real bad on that.

6 cans duplicolor

my 1st paint amatur paint job was a 79 that was splinery looking. i used cans and i wet sanded in between coats. it came to me for a detail, and i painted it for the guy and everyone was shocked. if you gotta do it cheap, thats what i found to be a tried and true method. since then we have advanced into the 21 century but if ya gotta ...... it WILL work. No orange peel if your patient between coats.
jen

It may look good to start, but I'm skeptical that it will hold up over time. At the very least I'm sure it will take a lot of maintenance to keep it shiny.

And only 3 sheets of sandpaper were used? ;squint: I would have expected a lot more than that to complete all the wet sanding.

It may look good to start, but I'm skeptical that it will hold up over time. At the very least I'm sure it will take a lot of maintenance to keep it shiny.

And only 3 sheets of sandpaper were used? ;squint: I would have expected a lot more than that to complete all the wet sanding.

The trick on a vett is to use the rusty metal primer
:blue:

my 1st paint amatur paint job was a 79 that was splinery looking. i used cans and i wet sanded in between coats. it came to me for a detail, and i painted it for the guy and everyone was shocked. if you gotta do it cheap, thats what i found to be a tried and true method. since then we have advanced into the 21 century but if ya gotta ...... it WILL work. No orange peel if your patient between coats.
jen
My first paint job was a 1967 Plymouth GTX,But I used real Dupont Automotive paint,it was only $17.50 a gallon back then!!!:D:D:D

Talk about dateing yourself!!:boogie:boogie:boogie

My first paint job was a 1967 Plymouth GTX,But I used real Dupont Automotive paint,it was only $17.50 a gallon back then!!!:D:D:D

Talk about dateing yourself!!:boogie:boogie:boogie
I am shocked at the cost of paint these days. I started painting in 1973 and skipped a few classes in college in 1976 to finish a few paint jobs.
Not sure that was a smart move, but I did get a degree of satisfaction that I didn't get in school. I really miss the old metalflake laquer that you could buy back then.
I am sure that some people would be satisfied with a rustoleum paint job, but last time I checked they didn't have metallic or candy paints.

hope to never paint it at all,:beer

What have you got to lose? $26? I'd try anything atleast once.

It'll cost a lot more than $26 to remove/strip the paint and do it right...........

You only have to worry about that if the $26 paint job doesn't turn out. If not that's when it will cost a more then $26. The cost of something isn't necessarily an indicator of quality. A $13,380 Chevrolet Aveo may just be a better quality automobile than a $407,000 Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe. The Aveo, may not have the luxuries
of the Phantom. The luxuries of the Phantom are what drives the difference in pricing not the quality. It is just as easy to screw up a $26 paint job as it is to screw up a $2,000, $3,000, or what ever the price tag may be. The quality of the paint job is in the person that performs the work, not the price of the paint job.

Uh... no. The $26 job is a quick fix. Cheap. IMHO it will not last very long -- certainly not my way of doing things.

I've actually had success using aerosol paint (see front nose of my Camaro) - but only for touch-ups! I got the color-coded paint online. I started with a dusting and then applied numerous coats. After wet sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper, and then a cut and buff with rubbing and polishing compound, it shined up with a mirror-like finish, no orange peel, fish-eyes, etc... and it's held up well (about a year now).

In case anyone is looking for code-matching paint, I got mine online at: automotivetouchup.com. It's held up nicely.
How well did that rattle cans color match up? My car is yellow and I got a small container of touch up paint and the color was not quite the match I was hoping for.

The quality of the paint job is in the person that performs the work, not the price of the paint job.

That's the rub, isn't it? Finding quality people who do quality work isn't easy, and price isn't a direct indicator of quality. We all know that a $28 roller paint job isn't going to be high quality. What we don't know is whether the guy that charges $6,000 is going to be any better than Earl Sheib or Maaco.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom