Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

383 in a 84

elkabong

Corvette
1984 Red Coupe.
Hi Folks,
It has been a while since I have posted here. I thought I would post what I have been up to with my 84. So here it is...... The 383 is in and running, I have some clean up work to do but it should be on the road and at the track in the next couple of weeks.

Here are the specs on the motor
Block - 95 4 bolt roller
0 Decked
Quench Distance - 0.039"
Rotating Assy - Eagle stroker kit (Crank, Rods)
Speed Pro Pistons with -12.5 cc D Dished
Moly Rings
Internally balanced
6 3/4 Inch harmonic balancer from Summit
Scat flexplate for late model block
Heads are TrickFlow 195cc intake runners with 64cc chambers Compression ratio 10.4:1
Cam - Compcams CS XR269HR-12 (pn 08-502-8)
Duration @ 0.05 218/228 LSA 112
Lift with 1.5 Rockers - .495/.503
Lift with 1.6 Rockers - .528/.536 (I did this)
Summit Roller Lifters
Roller Rockers 1.6 ratio (from ProComp in Australia)
XRam with 2" TBs and 90 lb Injectors
Headers - 1 3/4" Tubes, Ceramic Coated inside and out from Exotic Muscle (www.exoticmuscle.com)

Congratulations! Sounds like a great build, and I know you just can't wait to get it out and play now. :lou

You betcha. I still need to get the exhaust finished but I have been around the block a couple of times. Let's just say it is a little "snappy". It is definately a tire shredder. I may need to buy stock in a tire company. :D

84 :_rock

Lets just say the two black stripes in front of my house go from my garage to my neighbors garage - about 40 ft and she did not even break a sweat.

How cool is that? And it is done with the TBs!

I am gettng excited about going to the track for the first time. I hope to run into a few folks who have said "Why would you want to do that with a Crossfire." Granted I am using the XRam so it is a quasi Crossfire. :D The look on their face should be :confused and mine will be :upthumbs . Sorry about the small rant but I have had quite a few people tell me that I was wasting my time with a 84 - Vette owners and non Vette owners. With this setup I should be able to break in to the 12s if I can get a decent launch -my guess is 12.5-12.8. I will find out in about a month. Either way it should be a lot of fun which is what owning a Vette is all about. After this the tranny gets redone to handle the power with a 2600 stall converter and then I need to figure out what to do with the rear end.

Here is a shot with the motor on the stand.

383stroker.jpg

Stuffed in and ready to be fired.

engdriver-512.jpg

Man, oh man, do I like that. I am naturally (must be genetic) a contrarian. I was tole the same about the '84, but could not find the products to do it, despite shaking nationwide trees for over a year.

I still have the Crossfire setup and the original block which could well find a new home, perhaps in my old '55 F-100. I understand the Crossfire and I know it is a good setup, if limited. I just couldn't open those ports up and the Xram was not out in time to save me from the TPI conversion hell.

If you decide (or need to decide) whether to stay with the Dana 36, I have a guy for you to talk with. I don't have a lot of miles on mine, which was redone after I broke the original, but Jerry, an old head at Unitrax in Anaheim, CA www.gounitrax.comdid a lot of research to find me a solution.

While the obvious choice is the physically larger and stronger Dana44, which can be made stronger still, but is also breakable, I opted for the newer design Dana36 with a 3.54 gearset that doubled the contact area of my previous 3.73, then was hardened, along with the case, with cyrogen treatment. My diffy was the early design D36 which is not as strong as the newer. I don't intend to drag race past once or twice and my driving style is somewhat easy on the equipment and I could not find a reasonable priced D44.

Good show, Bongster. :w

elkabong said:
I am gettng excited about going to the track for the first time. I hope to run into a few folks who have said "Why would you want to do that with a Crossfire." Granted I am using the XRam so it is a quasi Crossfire. :D The look on their face should be :confused and mine will be :upthumbs . Sorry about the small rant but I have had quite a few people tell me that I was wasting my time with a 84 - Vette owners and non Vette owners. With this setup I should be able to break in to the 12s if I can get a decent launch -my guess is 12.5-12.8. I will find out in about a month. Either way it should be a lot of fun which is what owning a Vette is all about. After this the tranny gets redone to handle the power with a 2600 stall converter and then I need to figure out what to do with the rear end.

Here is a shot with the motor on the stand.

383stroker.jpg

Stuffed in and ready to be fired.

engdriver-512.jpg

UHOH :eek :L

That looks sweet elkabong! Careful not to kill that D36 ;) You're definately not overly optomistic with your expectations, with the right rearend, tires, and tune, I think we'll see ya in the 11's :beer Time to be on it 24/7 now, hard to sleep, ain''t it :D

WhalePirot said:
Man, oh man, do I like that. I am naturally (must be genetic) a contrarian. I was tole the same about the '84, but could not find the products to do it, despite shaking nationwide trees for over a year.

I still have the Crossfire setup and the original block which could well find a new home, perhaps in my old '55 F-100. I understand the Crossfire and I know it is a good setup, if limited. I just couldn't open those ports up and the Xram was not out in time to save me from the TPI conversion hell.

If you decide (or need to decide) whether to stay with the Dana 36, I have a guy for you to talk with. I don't have a lot of miles on mine, which was redone after I broke the original, but Jerry, an old head at Unitrax in Anaheim, CA www.gounitrax.comdid a lot of research to find me a solution.

While the obvious choice is the physically larger and stronger Dana44, which can be made stronger still, but is also breakable, I opted for the newer design Dana36 with a 3.54 gearset that doubled the contact area of my previous 3.73, then was hardened, along with the case, with cyrogen treatment. My diffy was the early design D36 which is not as strong as the newer. I don't intend to drag race past once or twice and my driving style is somewhat easy on the equipment and I could not find a reasonable priced D44.

Good show, Bongster. :w

To Everyone.... Thanks for the words of encouragement.

WhalePirot - I will give him a call. Destroying the D36 is on the top of the list for destruction concerns.

nice man! i like the crossfire setup personally. i have it in my 82 Z and thought about keeping it but parts are hard to come by and having to sync both TB's have me a bit concerned.

i've pulled my intake before in my Z and put a bigger cam in. i think it was something like 214/214 duration .480"/.480" lift. small 350 cam in my 305 with home ported heads and home ported lower intake. 3500 stall, manual valve body w/ shift kit, 3.42 gears and cheater slicks. played with the timing and fuel pressure. if memory serves me right FP on my 82 was around 9 psi? i know it's a low pressure system.

finally numbers resulted in a 13.68 @ 102 mph at sea level. granted i was shifting at 6800 rpm also. right before valve float :D those CFI's pull hard in the upper RPM range. i'm not sure that 2600 stall will be enough for your application but it will help. your mid 12's sound about right. your cam is small for a 383 stroker. streetability will be A+ for your ride and will probably pull nice MPH at the track. good thing about the smaller stall 2600 and stock gears is it will be easier on the D36.

if you get the bug again you can always setup a dual TB spacer nitrous system :D this intake loves nitrous :upthumbs:

oh BTW i see your in arizona. i don't know your altitude but i'm gonna guess from 1000-3000 feet?

for every 1000 ft in altitude is 1 tenth

for every 1000 in DA is 1 tenth also.

so if it's a hot humid day so the DA (Density Altitude) is 5000 ft and run a 12.65 you'd run a 12.15 at sea level.

here in the fall and early spring we get negative DA. i'm from 20' to 700' depending on which of the 4 tracks i could race at in my area. we have seen -1500+ DA to net our best runs :D

so now your looking at a 12.00 out of your setup :)

Firebird Intl Raceway is at a little over 1200 ft and is 7 miles from my house. :D

vettin - Thanks.

Mad-Mic - Balancing the TBs is easy. The tool you really need is a manometer which you can build for about $3. 1 yardstick, 15ft of 1/4 clear tubing. Attach the tubing to the yardstick, add a little colored water and you are good to go. There is a good procedure at http://www.crossfire.homeip.net or I can email it to ya. The first couple of times it seems a little weird but after that it goes easy. With this setup I could only set the rear TB to 6in of H20 so I used a feeler guage to determine how far open it was and then used that measurement for the front TB. I realize this is subjective because I am probably a little off but it is close enough for now. I am in the process of making something like this to use with a unisync.

unisync.jpg
http://members.cox.net/azc4vette/vette/unisync.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom