Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

383 STROKER AS EVERYDAY DRIVER?

aceshigh2289

I am looking to make my first corvette purchase but I have been advised against purchasing the one that I have been looking into. I found a 68 convertible with a 383 stroker (<4k miles on the motor). Some friends of mine warned that strokers will wear out much faster, even as soon as 40k miles, due to the fact that they are designed for performance not longevity. They also said that at 383 stroker is one of the better strokers out there but still maintained that it is not what I should be looking for. I am not looking to race this car, I just simply want one that looks, sounds and performs great.

I am in the military and will be making several cross-country trips over the next few years. Aside from those long transits I will probably be driving mostly around base and will not be commuting much on a regular basis.

I am not as worried about having to replace the engine a few years from now but rather whether it will hold up for all the long distance drives over the next few years.

Will this motor wear out due to these long trips?
Are there any typical issues/problems that arrise in these engines?
What is the approx fuel consumption of this motor (just out of curiosity)?

Any advise would be much appreciated.

I'd suggest that you either get new friends or ask them what they base their claims on. Like a former boss once said, 'all people who stereotype are idiots'. ;LOL

A 383 can be a tame and lame as any ordinary motor or borderline unstreetable. The displacement alone with no other background details makes it very hard to answer any of your questions.

Just the fact that the engine is a 383 is no cause for alarm.

If it is well maintained, then there should be no problem.
If it is abused, then there will be problems regardless of the engine in it.

What else do you know about the motor?

I don't know much else about it. Infact, I am little concerned that I can't get any build papers or anything on the engine. This car is at a classic vette dealer who claims he bought it from the person who put the engine in and he knows there is under 4k miles on it but that is it. He can't tell me whether the previous owner put it in, a mechanic did, who rebuilt the engine or what. So I don't know what is going on inside the engine or what shape the components are in.

I plan on maintaining it well. I was talking with my trusted mechanic who said that as long as I don't run it too hard I should get good use out of it.

There is nothing wrong with a 383 stroker you kick it in the but once in awile and drive normal. I'm getting ready to put one in mine and I am not worried a bit. Vettehead Mikey is rite find new friends or change their minds. Good luck with your Vette

So to turn this same question upside down, for my daily driver, would I enjoy benefits of a 383 stroker or would it introduce other issues. For example, sorting the carburation and spark. Would the stock computer be tossed? Would I pass emissions easier or more difficult?

How long IS that piece of string...;)

I don't know much else about it. Infact, I am little concerned that I can't get any build papers or anything on the engine. This car is at a classic vette dealer who claims he bought it from the person who put the engine in and he knows there is under 4k miles on it but that is it. He can't tell me whether the previous owner put it in, a mechanic did, who rebuilt the engine or what. So I don't know what is going on inside the engine or what shape the components are in.

I plan on maintaining it well. I was talking with my trusted mechanic who said that as long as I don't run it too hard I should get good use out of it.

In normal duty, whether the short block is a 350 or a 383 matters little to durability as long as the engine was assembled properly and it is maintained properly.

If the valve train has increased spring pressure, there might be a durability concern with valve springs but it will be the difference between 50,000 miles and 75-100,000 and not the difference between, say, 20,000 and 40,000.

Lastly, I just reread the starting post and noted you're in the military.

Thanks for serving our country.

Next question is, how does he "know" it has a 383 in it?

I'd run like heck. If you can't be sure what you are buying... then what are you buying?

Without a good paper trail, you can't even be sure you have a 350, much less a 383.

<quote>
So to turn this same question upside down, for my daily driver, would I enjoy benefits of a 383 stroker or would it introduce other issues. For example, sorting the carburation and spark. Would the stock computer be tossed? Would I pass emissions easier or more difficult?

How long IS that piece of string...;)

</quote>

If your car is pre-1981, then there is no computer to toss.
You'd have the same problems of carb and spark.

As for emissions... that will vary depending on where you live and what year the car is.

Pre-1968 cars have no emissions requirements.
After that, you are required to have all equipment that the engine came with originally.
Some states check to make sure it is there.
Some states check to make sure it works.
Some states don't have any inspections at all :D.

I'd run like heck. If you can't be sure what you are buying... then what are you buying?

Without a good paper trail, you can't even be sure you have a 350, much less a 383.
:upthumbs Good point.

Have someone you trust check the car and the engine out. Compresion checks, condition of spark plugs, coolant, oil and the like. No matter what branch of service your in (Thanks by the way!) there's mech's somewhere that should be willing to help.

Then use that information and the lack of a paper trail (which really isn't a shock, I don't think the average person keeps records like alot of gear heads do) as a negotiating point. If the engine is sound according to the mechanic, and the car is what your looking for...

Just my 12cents tossed in (inflation ya know)...

I wouldn't run from the car but I might be a bit skeptical of the motor as far as what it actually is or how well it was built unless I could obtain more information on it. Like has been said, if it's a well built 383 there shouldn't be a concern about the life of the motor just because it's a 383. Consider something else too, especially since you mentioned that it wouldn't bother you too much to have to replace the motor in the future, and that's the cost of the car vs what the rest of the car might be worth without the motor. If the car is in great shape interior/body/frame and the price is pretty decent then I'd go for it, see how it runs and performs, if you're not really happy with it because of the current motor, it shouldn't be that big of a deal to pick out a decent crate motor to drop in it that you'd be happy with for a reasonable price.

Good luck with it whatever you decide to do...I'm kinda thinking going cross country in a fine 69, the first thing thats gonna start to seem worn out will be your behind...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom