Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 383 stroker oil change

wkj2247

Corvette
2000 corcette and 1976 corvette
Good evening, About 700 miles i replaced my stock 350 in my 76 corvette with a 383 stroker. I need to know what is recommended brand of oil and the weight for the oil change. Thank you,Bill

Good evening, About 700 miles i replaced my stock 350 in my 76 corvette with a 383 stroker. I need to know what is recommended brand of oil and the weight for the oil change. Thank you,Bill

It would be helpful to know what is the projected use of the car.

I was going to use it for my commute back and forth to work( about 40 miles roundtrip) but I just retired. I still plan on driving it to town about 3 times a week which is about 40 miles round trip. The drive in is highway but in town of course there are the traffic lights. This is Florence , Al not a large city. Plenty of summer heat.

Read the link Mikey posted.

If your 383 has roller lifters and needle bearing rockers; then you do not need "ZDDP" as flat bottomed lifters and the stock rocker bearing systems.

Although duty cycle is part of the equation; what valve train components are in your 383 are more important. Do not try to "dope" engine oils with additives. Unlike manual transmissions or water wetters, as Mikey's link stated, it isn't wise to mess with doping engine oils.

So if I understand the link correctly, a modern diesel oil is more likely to be correct for my vette than an oil for a petrol?

So if I understand the link correctly, a modern diesel oil is more likely to be correct for my vette than an oil for a petrol?

It's more to do with the ratings/approvals than which market the oil is aimed towards. The key is to follow Duke's criteria and make sure that the oil is rated CJ-4.

Modern oils for petrol engines are frequently rated SM or SN which may not be suitable for flat tappet engines.

As I left the company that made engines, transmissions, diffs and T cases; this is dated information. Today tribology has become a specialty field.
Once Shell Rotella T was rated as one for the best "diesel" oils. I ran it in a 388" in a 66 Coupe for years. What I appreciated was after a Sunday at the strip; I didn't see foam.
Shell Rotella® Products - Shell Rotella

Without going of the deep end; a flat tappet needs ZDDP and roller tappet doesn't. A flat tappet or lifter puts more force on the cam than a roller tappet. The short form is, if you have a flat tappet engine, you need ZDDP.

ZDDP - Debunking The Motor Oil Additive Urban Legend

Basically read the label for the percentage of ZDDP; as the link Mikey posted stated do not over dope engine oils or you'll regret it.

If it is done with common sense transmissions, t-cases and diffs dope relatively easily for the DIY; engines do not.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom