Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

$4,800 1965 Corvette For Sale Scam

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
I happen to run across this post on a boating web site recently and thought I'd post it here.

So I've been half heartedly looking for an old 'vette as a toy. I was searching around last night and found a beautiful '65 Convertible..for $4800. I emailed to see if teh price was correct (I was thinking they left a zero off), and I get a reply back today from an MSN address:

Hello,

My 1965 Chevrolet Corvette conv. is in great shape ( 8 cyl, 4spds Manual). The car has no electrical or mechanical problems, damages or hidden defects. Hasn't been involved in any accident. My husband and I divorced last year, after the divorce I own this car, I don't need it and that's why I'm selling it so cheap. The car has a clear title. It has 69,700 miles. The total price is $4,800 including shipping and handling. The car is located in Wilmington, NC. I recently moved here with my job.

We will use eBay protection program for our safety and for payment I prefer to use a eBay's buyer protection plan. The financial part will be managed by them. Which means that you will have 5 days inspection period before committing to buy the vehicle, a refund policy is included. I just need your full name and address so I can open a case. You'll receive important guidelines and payment instructions from them. The deal will go strictly according to eBay rules and policy.

Thanks
Susan

Being the skeptical kind, I immediately smelled a rat. Let me start with I didn't see it on Ebay; I saw it on a Corvettes for sale type web site. I think it was listed as being in California.

So I thought I might have some fun with this, so I replied:

I'm not far from Wilmington; can i come take a look at it? I'm assuming you have a clear title?

So I get a reply back a few minutes later:

I have a clean title in my name. The car is already at the shipping company in Wilmington ready for the shipping. I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. I'm very busy with my job and I'm out of the town so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my car over the internet. The shipping cost is included in the price.

Here is how it will work:
1.First of all I will need the following details from you:
- Full Name
- Full Shipping Address
2. After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to eBay.
3. After they will process your info, they will send you the invoice and the details on how to make the refundable payment.
4. eBay will contact me and I will ship the car to you. After you receive the car you will have 5 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to the car. If you will buy, then eBay will release the money to me.
5. If you will decide that not buy the car, eBay will refund you the money and I will have the shipping company come pick up my car. If you wish to make the transaction, please send me the necessary info so that we can proceed. I look forward to hear from you.

Thank you

So I continued:

When do you get back in town? I can't buy a car I can't see. I'll drive in to Wilmington and take a look at the car. If it is everything you say it is, I'll give you cash then in exchange for the title. I can work around your schedule. A friend told me about the car; I didn't see it on Ebay. Can you tell me the item number?

Surprisingly..I haven't gotten any answers yet. If the thing ends up being real (lol)..I'll post some pics of my $4800 near perfect '65 Corvette.

They just keep trying. Fortunately buyers are getting smarter.

Tom

Are you sure it's not from Indiana?;LOL

Fortunately buyers are getting smarter.

Tom

Not all of them. A poster over on SmokinVette.com (who should have known better) who goes by "toobroketoretire" got scammed last month out of $12,000.00 by an eBay auction for an "original '63 SWC with only 4000 miles". The seller claimed she was the daughter of a wealthy Croatian man who had died, and she was selling the car, including shipping from Croatia, for $12K, and DAS Shippers would handle the shipping to his door, with "the eBay Protection Plan" handling the transaction.

He (believe it or not) wired the $12K to her bank in Croatia, and began to get e-mails from the "eBay Protection Plan" and DAS Shippers (which were fake, of course), stringing him along with progress reports on the shipping.

Naturally, the promised delivery day arrives, and there's no car, and no "DAS Shippers" either, and his $12K is long gone to a bank account in Croatia.

P.T. Barnum was right. :eyerole

Brett, Brett, Brett :rotfl

Sorry Gary, couldn't resist. That jackazz is still posting on the CF. They seem to not care that he did what he did. They can have him. I don't post there much anymore since they seem to condone what he did.

My favorite was on craig's list.
I found a 1967 corvette coupe. ready???....

427/390hp;4speed;ps;pb;factory a/c;numbers match;60kmiles;no rust.
They send me a picture. Maroon and absolutely flawless.
$5900.
It also included free shipping to my house since HER husband now deceased was in the shipping business and had a connection. It was followed by a certificate from Craigs list guaranteeing the sale. AND if I didnt like the deal for any reason, all I had to do was give them my bank account number and the money would be deposited in the bank.
i checked with Craigs list and it was a text book scam. Not only would they scam the $5900, but they would have entered my bank account etc.
So beware they are out there.
The funny thing was that a but a couple of weeks after (dec,2008) that I found my 2000 coupe (9000 miles) on craigs list and nervously I bought it. A lot more than $5900!!!

"If it sounds too good to be true..."

But they wouldnt try those scams if there werent anyone out there who'd believe them..

-Stefan

It's hard to believe with these type of scams being well publicized on the various forums that someone would still believe they were going to get a '63 swc for $12000.

I get to do the initial investigation on a lot of fraud/scams. They come in a lot of different forms. The best way to be a hard target is to assume that anyone wanting your money or information is a crook. Avoid giving out information as much as possible even to legit companies/institutions. Dirt bag employees will sell the information/accounts to other POS and think they will not get caught because they are not actually using the information. We have even had cases where scammers will take a picture of credit cards and checks with a phone camera while standing behind them at a check out to get their account numbers and name. Use commonly accepted credible companies. Verify anyone that says they work for one. Anyone that badgers you for money because they are a "victim of an unfortunate circumstance, "ran out of gas with a child in the car, bla bla bla" or whatever. Tell them you are going to call the police for them so the police can assist them. They suddenly don't need assistance anymore. Then, call the police to investigate them. Call the police with suspected fraudulent activity. Unfortunately, the elderly are the most common victim. Look out for your folks and grandfolks.

You should reply that you just happen to live near Wilmington and you would love to see the car first hand. And just drop a hint you might be a police man. :rotfl

I hate to see these ads; because you know somewhere someone is falling for them. I did once about ten years ago for a couple hundred buck; but at 19 years old it felt like a couple thousand.

I hate to see these ads; because you know somewhere someone is falling for them. I did once about ten years ago for a couple hundred buck; but at 19 years old it felt like a couple thousand.

when Jesus gets here a lot of people are in for a big surprize

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom