Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

4 Cylinder Corvette

minifridge1138

Corvette
1982 Black Fastback
What do you get when you fire on 1/2 of your cylinders? My car.

Went out to drive it over the weekend.
It fired up, no problem.
Gave it a small amount of gas to back out of the driveway and it almost died.
Gave it a good revving, and it jumped to 2,500 RPM and kept going no problem.
It ran fine the previous time I drove it (maybe 1 week) and I made absolutely no changes, modifications, or "improvements."
It was just parked in the garage.

Here is where I am:

I have disconnected every vacuum line going to the carburetor and intake manifold, that made no difference.

I replaced the cap and rotor (they were old and worn). That made no difference.

At idle, I disconnected the plug wires from the distributor 1 at a time. Pulling plug 1, 4, 6, or 7 made no difference to the idle.
Pulling plug 8, 3, 5, or 2 caused the car to die.
So at idle, I seem to have every other cylinder.

There is a range between idle (~600 rpm) and 2,000 RPM where the car tries to die.
2,000 RPM and above and it seems completely normal.

Any ideas? I'm sort of stumped.

Thanks everyone!!!

What do you get when you fire on 1/2 of your cylinders? My car.

Went out to drive it over the weekend.
It fired up, no problem.
Gave it a small amount of gas to back out of the driveway and it almost died.
Gave it a good revving, and it jumped to 2,500 RPM and kept going no problem.
It ran fine the previous time I drove it (maybe 1 week) and I made absolutely no changes, modifications, or "improvements."
It was just parked in the garage.

Here is where I am:

I have disconnected every vacuum line going to the carburetor and intake manifold, that made no difference.

I replaced the cap and rotor (they were old and worn). That made no difference.

At idle, I disconnected the plug wires from the distributor 1 at a time. Pulling plug 1, 4, 6, or 7 made no difference to the idle.
Pulling plug 8, 3, 5, or 2 caused the car to die.
So at idle, I seem to have every other cylinder.

There is a range between idle (~600 rpm) and 2,000 RPM where the car tries to die.
2,000 RPM and above and it seems completely normal.

Any ideas? I'm sort of stumped.

Thanks everyone!!!
You have a chunk of crap somewhere in 1 side of the carburetor!!:thumb:thumb:thumb Or a monster vacuum leak somewhere,whats the brakes act like??;shrug;shrug;shrug

1,4,6,7 feed off the drivers side venturis of the carburetor!!

The brakes feel normal and require almost no effort. Sometimes I wish the vacuum booster were not as strong so the pedal took more effort.

Thanks for pointing me towards the carburetor. I'll poke around in it some more tomorrow and see what I can find out.

The previous owner removed the crossfire.

Sorry, I should have clarified that from the beginning.

You have a chunk of crap somewhere in 1 side of the carburetor!!:thumb:thumb:thumb Or a monster vacuum leak somewhere,whats the brakes act like??;shrug;shrug;shrug

1,4,6,7 feed off the drivers side venturis of the carburetor!!
Reads like Junkie is all over it. I'm curious to hear what you find. Couldn't you just look down the carb to see if you have fuel on one side but not the other?

Reads like Junkie is all over it. I'm curious to hear what you find. Couldn't you just look down the carb to see if you have fuel on one side but not the other?
Yeah,You might see it,but it's hard to get your eyeballs in all the small fuel passages and jets inside the carb!!:D:D:D

Junk called it. I'm not sure what we'd do without him.

Pulled the front bowl and metering block out. It looked like there was wet sawdust in the driver's side jet. There was also a spot were the gasket hadn't sealed well so "gunk" was getting pulled into the bowl. Not what I would have hoped for in a carburetor that was brand new and I had never taken apart.

Cleaned it. Put it back on. Ran beautifully.

While I was in there, I replaced the #64 jets with #66. It was too late to test drive, but hopefully I'll see an improvement in performance. At the moment, I'm mostly show and very little go.

Thanks everyone!!!!

Might want give your filter a check if that much crap got all the way into the carb.

Junk called it. I'm not sure what we'd do without him.

Pulled the front bowl and metering block out. It looked like there was wet sawdust in the driver's side jet. There was also a spot were the gasket hadn't sealed well so "gunk" was getting pulled into the bowl. Not what I would have hoped for in a carburetor that was brand new and I had never taken apart.

Cleaned it. Put it back on. Ran beautifully.

While I was in there, I replaced the #64 jets with #66. It was too late to test drive, but hopefully I'll see an improvement in performance. At the moment, I'm mostly show and very little go.

Thanks everyone!!!!
Nice job........:thumb

Might want give your filter a check if that much crap got all the way into the carb.
Quality control at Holley SUCKS!! I've never bought a New Holley that didn't need to be taken apart and the Metal Shavings and Deb're cleaned out right out of the box!!:thumb:thumb:thumb I hate them,and haven't used one of the float sticking car burning bastages on my personnel ride for over 25 years!!:D:D:D

Rochester Q-Jet or Carter AFB for me!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom