Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

454 block is off to the machine shop!

Paranoid

Corvette
1970 454 4sp Coupe
Finally got a chance to drop my 454 off to the engine shop today. They're going to do the magnaflux, hot tank, freeze plugs, align hone, cam bearings, bore (0.060) & hone and deck the block. $$$$$$

I already had the crank checked & polished.

I plan to take the crank, balancer, pistons/rods in at a later date to have balanced. I gotta spread out the expenses a little.

Did I miss anything?
Len :_rock

Just full of Questions

At least you're getting the work done, Len. I'm still deciding what the hell to do. What about your cylinder heads? Stock, ported, or aftermarket? Compression ratio? What kind of power are you aiming for?

--Bullitt

Cylinder Heads?? Did someone say cylinder heads?? I can't believe I hadn't posted this pic before. Anyway:

Brand new GM aluminum, 100cc chamber with 2.25 valves sitting in the garage! Compression ratio should be between 9.5-9.8 with LS-6 TRW pistons. I'm planning on the Comp 296S cam and that should get me 500+HP & torque with Hooker sidemounts.

Cost for this portion of the machine shop should be about $400! :eek:

heads-2.jpg

Len, That's a good machine shop price for what you're getting.

...... Nut

RE: Heads. Racer John Greenwood told me years ago that the best intake for my (then) 1970 LS-6 was the GM aluminum high rise. It fed the stock LS-6 rectangular intake ports, and came with the crate motor I dropped into a 350'ed '71. Dummy, here, tossed that manifold aside for the 'better' aftermarket Offy 360.

BTW, I found the engine ran equally well to 6500rpm with both a Holley 950cfm 3-barrel and a later 750 double pumper. The mileage was slightly better with the 750.

I had the Hooker side mounts, too, and loved the uncorked power. No muflers was like a downshift!

Chris- the heads are oval ports---I wanted more low end, the intake is a Weiand Stealth #8019 and a Holley DP 850 runs into my L-88 air chamber. :s It should crank a couple HP! :dance

Len..... just don't tell 'em. They get over it in a couple weeks.

Be happy you are where you are. My dad's whole side of the family is from Pittsburgh. Duquesne Univ grad and lived in the area all his life. Great town. Btw.... you're the only person that has gotten the "joke" so far. Congrats!!

......... Nut

Nut said:
My dad's whole side of the family is from Pittsburgh.

I never knew that Bob. My Mother is still living in Pittsburgh, her hometown. :upthumbs

_ken :w

Len

Welcome to the 468 Cube Rat motor club. Hope you can mount some BIG tires under there, your gonna need them, I know:beer
John

Nut said:
Len..... just don't tell 'em. They get over it in a couple weeks.

Be happy you are where you are. My dad's whole side of the family is from Pittsburgh. Duquesne Univ grad and lived in the area all his life. Great town. Btw.... you're the only person that has gotten the "joke" so far. Congrats!!

......... Nut

I was born & raised in PGH, actually about 3 miles from Duquesne University. I graduated from Duquesne in 1976 and my wife graduated from Pitt.

Now I live in Hampton Twp., about 12 miles north of Pgh. Sad to say living here all my life, I've only gone to one Pirate game(free of course) and will finally attend my first Steelers game this fall---only because my 14 year old daughter won the tickets at a 5K race!

Well, the engine shop called today and I guess I was a little off on the price quote. Parts & labor come to $665.00 for bore & hone(0.06), magnaflux, Align & hone check, hot tank, align & hone mains, cam bearings and freeze plugs...I think that's it??

It'll be ready next week.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom