Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

67 Tail Lights

Grizzly

Corvette
1967 Marlboro Maroon Coupe, 1992 White Convertible
My tail lights are a mess. 3 of them have reversed wiring. Bright filament for parking lights/dim filament for brakes. I was under there trying to pull plugs apart to see what could be done, but nothing came a part easily, so I thought I would stop before I ruined something.

Has anyone put things together back there lately? Before I start yanking too hard on things I would like to know what comes a part. Is there a plug in the back of the light socket? Is there a connector that I could disassemble some where to correct the problem?

Everything is working, parking, brakes and 4 ways, just the wrong filament is lighting up.

thanks............................Griz

Griz,

First remove the bulbs (after removing the lenses :D ). Then, from underneath the car, turn the connectors counter-clockwise (about a 1/4 turn) to unplug them from the light housings.

You will then be able to have a close look at the condition of the wires.

Could be that the wiring is incorrect, or maybe someone has forced the bulbs in the wrong way, not being careful to align the little "dots" on the sides of the bulbs correctly.:ugh

Rick
:gap

It's also possible that someone plugged the plastic connector bodies into the sockets on the back of the lamps backwards; the "pins" on the white plastic connectors aren't 180* apart - they're more like 160*/200* apart, and it's possible for "Bubba" to force them in place indexed incorrectly. They're a lot easier to get to if you drop the spare tire tray and tub and remove the rear lower valance panel.
:beer

Thanks folks, sounds like I shouldn't try to fix it 15 minutes before leaving for the show:)

Here's to a nice weekend :beer .......................Griz

I had a similar problem and tried to reverse the wiring plug in the back of the socket - ruined the socket then discovered I had purchased a couple of bulbs that were wired backward. The manufacturer replaced the bulbs and I replaced the ruined lamp.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom