Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

68 427 for 28K ... How did I do?

rskdsk

Corvette
All,

Please check this out and tell me what you think. I will be inspecting the car tommorrow and am looking for some advice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=130070714803&rd=1,1

The numbers I have readily available are: Trim tag D24 Trim 402 Paint 992
Front engine pad T002IIQ 18S405349 Engine casting 3916321
Vin 194678S405349
The carb is a holley replacement, so the numbers would mean nothing.

Since this is my very first vette ... I am looking for some help determining value and looking for originality.

Thanks

Welcome.

You're a brave man dropping 28K on a car sight unseen, but if it is reasonably original (engine/trans,accy's), in good shape mechanically and there's only minor corrosion, you did OK on price.

It's a shame that someone repainted it another colour, but that can always be corrected if you want.

The mechanical defects mentioned are usually fairly easy to fix.

:beer

I wish you the very best on your purchase .....I would NEVER buy a car off EBAY without first inspecting it, MY brother-in-law bought a 1974 bbc 454 4 speed car as a project car off ebay for about $8000, now the pictures and the cars condition were barely recogniseable when it arrived.....he will have a nice car when its complete but NO BARGIN

guys, I have not paid for the car yet and will be inspecting before any cash exchanges hands. That is why I am asking for help looking over the car to make sure it is the deal that I think it is. Yes, I know I have committed to purchase the car through ebay, however if the car has been misrepresented (the contract becomes void) ... I will not purchase ... very simple!

When it comes to looking for rust ... where are the areas of concern? Anyone have any photos of things I should look at? I am fairly confident that the drive train is 95% original (expect the carb), and I will drive the car to make sure it rides well. As for the body, I am guessing that I am looking for any type of spider cracks, repairs, etc.

Thanks again

If it was my 28K, I'd spend a few hundred extra and get an experienced C3 Corvette person to go over the car top to bottom for a few hours. It typically takes me 3-4 hours but I'm not the sharpest light bulb at the top of the stairs :ugh

There's subtle details - like an engine stamp pad - that can make the difference between a 'real' car and a 'phony' that cannot be explained over the internet with a few pictures.

Well, the numbers seem to jive more or less as being a 1968 427ci 390hp engine. The price seems decent. Maybe a tad bit high, but that's the point of seller auctioning an item.

I agree with Mikey above. Take someone with you that will give a thorough inspection. Another $300 or so is not unreasonable if you are thinking about plunking down $28K...

When it comes to looking for rust ... where are the areas of concern?

Two very common rust areas are the windshield frame, and the chassis frame (especially where the rear kickup joins the lower frame in front of the rear wheels).

Use a screwdriver to test for weak spots on the chassis frame, and check under the dash for signs of rust having dropped from the windshield area.

Good luck on your quest.
:w

It's no big deal buying off of ebay. I bought my first vette off there and was quite pleased.

So what would be considered a good price for a 68 vert today?

So what would be considered a good price for a 68 vert today?
That's way too general of a question. It's like asking what a big screen TV costs today. Well...we're gonna need to narrow it down a little.
Which engine for 1968? There were 6 or 7 different engines available.
What options? There were 4 different transmissions available. What kinda brakes do you want? Hard top or Soft top? Would you like your FM to be in Stereo?

Mostly, the engine and overall condition are what make the biggest impact on price.

It would be a guess as to what a 68 vert is worth but Vette-N-Vestments gives the car roughly at $21.500 as an average price. That price can vary according to which engine and what it would take to bring it back to original condition. A 68 vert in excellent shape with all the right stuff is listed at about $74,000 and the sky is the limit. Low dollar on the car is given at $13,500. Have a good inspection done by someone that knows what to look for and if it was me, I would be there when it was done. If you take the car or not , you will learn something.

That engine if it is right gives it $5000.00 more in value according to the guide. It also says that the car has risen in value 48% over the last 5 years.

for the sake of argument ... lets assume we are talking about the 1968 427/390hp with the option listed in the ebay ad.

Thanks

Take an experienced inspector with you. $300 is not much compared to $28,000.00
Automatics have a lower value than 4 speeds. If it is a car you will keep for a while, great, but if you are thinking of reselling within a few years you may be wise to keep looking.
What ever your decision, good luck. There is nothing like a corvette.
Steve
68 427/400

they are worth what someone will pay for them; I paid just under 12,000 for a 300 HP 4-speed base car with hard top and no soft top in August Car needs a little work but it is a fun driver and I will do the repairs myself.
Its all what you are comfortable with.

No I did not purchase. There were a couple of issues ... so I backed out. Thanks for all the support.

No I did not purchase. There were a couple of issues
Liiiiiiike...???? (just for the sake of conversation.:) Some of us like to know why people chose to or not to buy a vette they were considering.)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom