Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

68 Big Block-- Vacuum Tank Hose Guidance

68BigBlock

Corvette
1968 Corvette Coupe- 427/390
Installing a new vacuum tank to replace one that was leaking.

Can someone provide some guidance on which hoses go where (color) in terms of the hoses that connect to the tank itself? Old tank had been bypassed -- thus had nothing to compare to or look at when done right.

I have a two-port vacuum tank -- one larger than the other.

Thanks in advance.

...Installing a new vacuum tank to replace one that was leaking...

Just curious, but are you replacing the tank with the engine in the car? Some folks say they have been able to do it, but I took one look at my tank and knew it wasn't coming off the back of that fender skirt with the engine in the car.

:)

I need to repair the tank in my 69, my (very good) corvette tech says the engine stays in, but it's a bitch. I'm going to put one of the ball type vacuum tanks in until I get to it, we don't know if that will be enough so I may stuff two in there and daisy chain them. At $25 per storage tank this could be a good band aid until my steering box fails then I'll do them at the same time.

The tech says about $800 for the job, so it's gotta be a pain.

Odd things break when your car gets past the 40 year old mark.

Just curious, but are you replacing the tank with the engine in the car? Some folks say they have been able to do it, but I took one look at my tank and knew it wasn't coming off the back of that fender skirt with the engine in the car.

:)

Mike-- I had the engine out of the car and could have replaced tank then, problem was I didn't know it was leaking until after I got engine back in and started testing vacuum system.

Was able to get get vacuum tank out --- had to remove brake master cylinder and valve cover on driver's side to get it out. Since I am redoing brakes also and still needed to bleed system, removing master cylinder wasn't really an issue. New engine going back in -- thus gaskets on valve cover brand new and ahve not "settled in" yet-- no problems here either.

Good Luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom