Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'70 LT1 Fan Belts

Chuck53

Corvette
1962; 1966; 1966 GS Replica racer;1970 LT1
I'm putting my 1970 LT1 together and I have a question regarding the fan belts. I can figure out the alternator and smog pump belts and brackets. It seems the middle pulley belt on the water pump runs from the crank pulley to the water pump pulley. If so there does not seem to be a way to tension the belt. Do you just strong arm it into position; or, take the pulley off the water pump, position the belt and lever it onto the pump hub? I don't know, maybe the center groove doesn't have a belt.;help

Any pics would be a great help. Thanks.

may help

Hi chuck, i dont own a 70, but im sure you would not strong arm it into position, nearly all cars the adjustment is from power steering, alternator, or smog pump, so dont assume its a small belt, you may require a longer belt, to extend to one of the above items, so you can adjust it . regards wayne.

Not 100% sure, but I believe the belt in question should go in the rearmost groove, not the middle one.

It's usually easiest to remove the water pump pulley just enough to get the belt in place. :beer

Got the AIM? The AIM has diagrams of all the belt routings. You will want the LT-1 option scenario.

:)

AIM? Uh, is that the assembly manual? No, can you advise where to get one?

Assembly Instruction Manual. All the Corvette vendors carry the AIMs. NCRS has them. You can even get them off eBay. Best deals include a three-ring binder. (AIM pages are punched for three-ring binders.) Pick your favorite vendor and order one.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom