Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

71 Seat Belt Warning Light

Corvette
1971 LT-1 Convertible
I refurbed my small guage cluster and put in a new red lense and push switch in the process, new bulbs etc. The bulb in there prior was probably burned out so I never had the light come on. With the new bulb and push button it comes on and when you push in the switch it goes off but as soon as you release it comes on and stays on. How does this system work and what do I have to do to remedy it. I know a quick fix is to pull out the bulb, but that would never pass a PV, besides it's there, I want it to function.

Hi Tom,
I can't answer your question unfortunately, but I was wondering how everything else is going with the car, and if you had it painted? If so, I love to see some pictures. Hope all is well. -John

101_0109.jpg

Hi Tom,
I recently did some work on mine and replaced the bulb while I had the cluster out. My warning light comes on when the ignition is turned on and then goes out when the button is pushed. The owners manual said it is a reminder light only and should function as I described.

If you don't have an owners manual you can find one online here: http://www.71corvette.com/owners.html The description is on page 7.

The circuit is fairly simple using a relay coil the switch and the bulb. It basically allows the current to be passed to the bulb when the ignition power is on. Pressing the switch causes the relay to energize and route the current through it instead of the bulb. This also causes a self latching effect and keeps the bulb off until power is removed (ignition off) which resets the relay and the circuit for the bulb to turn on again when the ignition is turned on. It sounds like your relay is not staying latched. I'm not certain where the relay is located, I did see a coil in the gauge cluster on mine, but not sure if that is it or if there is an additional relay elsewhere to which the coil provides power.

I looked at the wiring diagrams that I know of on line (http://www.misterbill.homeip.net/vette/wiring/)- but they are for later models with the seatbelt warning buzzer/light circuit. I also looked for that part with most standard suppliers of Vette parts, but was unable to locate one. Hopefully someone out there will know what you need to replace to get it working correctly again.

-steve

Steve,
I have most of the manuals including the AIM and electric diagrams and noticed something that looked like a relay coil when I had it appart. Obviously it is not working correctly. I did the same thing as you mentioned, looked at all the major part suppliers and found no parts to replace for this. I may have to call a guage refurbusher I had referred to me in North Corolina to see what they recommend, although I hate to send the whole cluster of guages to them just to get this repaired. I'm still open for suggestions. I want to finish putting the interior together, I had the seats redone and new carpet to install etc.

Let me know if I can help further, I'm willing to pull mine apart and take some meter readings. Maybe I can trace some wiring and see if there is a second relay too. Let me know and I'll give it a shot.

-steve

Steve,
Thanks for the genuine offer to pull yours appart, that's a ton of work I would avoid at most costs if I didn't have to. I'll do some investigating and let you and anyone else on this thread know what I find out.

I have the same problem on a 1969. There is a ground wire on the back of the panel. Where is it supposed to go? Aslo, does anyone have a picture or diagram of the rear wiring for this gauge cluster?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom