Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

73 before and after pictures

howard

Corvette
1973 L82 4Spd-No power options
Well thought I would post a few pics of what has transpired so far in the quest to restore my Vette.
It is not an NCRS car but I am trying to keep it correct looking and have a safe reliable cruiser. Most of the work was performed in my home garage with decent assortment of tools.
Hope these pics provide inspiration for others that will be sure to follow!:smash:
RUST!! this is our enemy and probably caused the scrapping of many cars in earlier times :(
2lvjy8p.jpg

2kjvcj.jpg

Dissassembly in progress
2ewgnmd.jpg

After several months of rebuilding components and sandblasting a replacement frame
fdfsxv.jpg

I pulled the motor apart, it had been rebuilt in its past but sat for many years with old oil so I wanted to freshen it up with new rings, bearings, cam, intake & Exhaust Its a L 82 350 +.30
10zwguf.jpg

e64lms.jpg

Engine compartment before
23k7jsy.jpg

Today...almost ready to fire for the first time
2r7pqad.jpg

4ux8j6.jpg

echh nasty rust :(
v3d7xv.jpg

300tis1.jpg

33xj9ra.jpg

much better now
x1g2er.jpg

1zme4oj.jpg

fatob8.jpg

foq2di.jpg

Right after pulling the body off and i'm thinking have I bitten off a bit too much?
wvd9qs.jpg

vmtb7o.jpg

This looks a bit better!
I ordered most of my parts from Corvette Central on the start to finish plan...The online ordering was TOO easy and I had to ban myself from the pc at times. The heavier parts like brake rotors and steering parts I purchased locally.
Some of the parts purchased were Stainless brake& fuel lines, 2.5" Exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers, rebuild kits/gasket sets for trans, steering box, rear end, Energy Suspension poly bushings, VP&B 460lb front springs, Front & Rear Addco sway bars, KYB Gas shocks, new Rotors, BFG TA 255-60-15 tires and tons of other bits and pieces
bfg8ex.jpg

Day before drop and Body on checklist is taped to windshield...check all fasteners, bolt placement for crossmember, parking brake pully etc...good thing I did because they were in wrong.
vzan2q.jpg

It is sure nice working on this stuff with the body off. I had to replace the header reinforcement due to rust...piece of cake in this position
6ygznk.jpg

Actuators were in good shape so I just replaced dust boots. I found the repo seals were not as heavy gauge as OEM so I left the originals in until they fail..
j9wzt2.jpg

pretty grungy under here...ran well but things are getting tired like clutch and suspension pieces
16kq3r8.jpg

Revitalized!, anxious to see what this mouse motor will do
zybqkm.jpg

Damm! I think I found Ms Belvedere!!
2e58e4l.jpg

Amazing what some elbow grease and a sandblaster will do
33e66nl.jpg

This is what a damp west coast climate will do (Vancouver)
w5gea.jpg

1059ugl.jpg

Now I'm going to be afraid of driving it in the rain!
wklrhs.jpg

10pwvp5.jpg

29mb0xg.jpg

I haven't shown any body/interior pics as that will be next winters restoration project....now its time to enjoy the fruit of my effors and gette some Vette waves in for the Summer!:)

good job how long did it take?

Thanks!,
I have had the car 2 years this month, I spent the first 6 months gathering manuals, researching body off restos and redoing my garage in preparation for the project. Body came off Oct 2006 and I started it for the first time this weekend, figure I have another month or so before its on the road

Super job. We are proud of you.

Very :cool !

:upthumbs

(Here is a wave from over here!)
:w
-Stefan

Great photos. You're doing a fantastic job. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Thanks for sharing with the photos - looks great and I hope you have it and enjoy the vette for many years. One suggestion, on your next oil change, get rid of that fram oil filter (read the threads on oil filters) and switch to one that the CACers have found to work best. Keep up the great work and let us see more pics when finally done.
Barrett

Wow! N-I-C-E resto job! It's great that you have the pictures and probably the receipts so you can get your car insured for it's now proper value.

How was it firing it up for the first time? did you just kinda sit there in the car and go "Ahhhhhhh! :D"
I get like that after any major rebuild or just after the winter months. I sit and just take in the sounds and smells....and a big grin creeps across my face!

:upthumbs

Looks terrific - very nice work! :)

I would, however, recommend ditching the add-on fuel filter and rubber hoses - it's a fire hazard. Don't see the fuel vapor return line either.

:beer

How was it firing it up for the first time? did you just kinda sit there in the car and go "Ahhhhhhh! :D"
absolutely!!, its a great feeling when the car has been stripped to bare frame and motor torn down to bare block and you reassemble it over a year....then the big moment comes to turn the key and your mind is racing wondering if you forgot to torque something or did I remember to check that part.....then after a few cranks Vrooom.....no leaks, no knocks, exhaust sealed.. ...then Ahhhhh:D:D:upthumbs

Awesome job Howard, love all the pictures. You need to list your man hours and cost now. LOL

Hecox

Nice Job

your pics caught my eye because I have what appears to be an identical car. 73 L-82, 4-spd, blue-green metallic, medium saddle interior. only power option is windows. My chassis is not is as bad a shape as yours appreared to be before you started. I don't have any rust issues, but I sure wish my chassis looked like yours does now!! I just can't stay out of mine long enough to put her down for a big job like that. Mine is all original except for a mediocre repaint done by a previous owner. Great work, thanks for sharing.

Wow, looks great. Nice work!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom