Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

73 Engine Swap Question

P

Potter

Hi all,

I just recieved a brand new 385hp Fast Burn GM crate engine. I want to know of any problems anyone has had with this or a similar change and also can I get 3 inch exhaust to fit? and what mufflers sound good. I want a nice rumble but dont want it to sound like an old Ford truck with glass packs. I just purchased Dynomax ceramic headers, a lot of dress up stuff for the engine and am going to re-do the front end with the kit I got from Ecklers. The trans. (TH-400) is going to ATI in Baltimore MD for rebuild.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tracey

one option is hooker header sidepipes look and sound great, the 385 will go great but you might want to upgrade to an OD trans if you plan on driving it much.

I just recieved a brand new 385hp Fast Burn GM crate engine. I want to know of any problems anyone has had with this or a similar change and also can I get 3 inch exhaust to fit? and what mufflers sound good. I want a nice rumble but dont want it to sound like an old Ford truck with glass packs. I just purchased Dynomax ceramic headers, a lot of dress up stuff for the engine and am going to re-do the front end with the kit I got from Ecklers. The trans. (TH-400) is going to ATI in Baltimore MD for rebuild.

Tracey[/QUOTE]

A few months ago my mechanic installed a ZZ383 Stroker, 425/460 Fast Burn GM crate engine in my '69. YEEHAW! This antique is scary fast! if you put a 3" exhaust it's going to be LOUD. I have a 2.5" system with Magna flows, it's quiet until I step in it. If I had it to do over I would have put Flow Masters in the car. Think seriously about changing the Trans, I didn't, the Turbo 400 is tough and proven and works perfectly with the 308 rear end.

Koop said:

Tracey

A few months ago my mechanic installed a ZZ383 Stroker, 425/460 Fast Burn GM crate engine in my '69. YEEHAW! This antique is scary fast! if you put a 3" exhaust it's going to be LOUD. I have a 2.5" system with Magna flows, it's quiet until I step in it. If I had it to do over I would have put Flow Masters in the car. Think seriously about changing the Trans, I didn't, the Turbo 400 is tough and proven and works perfectly with the 308 rear end.[/QUOTE]

I have thought about putting 373s in but figured I would wait and see how it does with the higher gears. Are the flow masters more quiet??

Thanks

Tracey

[/QUOTE]

I have thought about putting 373s in but figured I would wait and see how it does with the higher gears. Are the flow masters more quiet??

Thanks

Tracey[/QUOTE]

I think the Flow Masters are louder, but they sound real good. You probably won't need the 373s with all that Horsepower, my mechanic talked me out of the 373s and the OD trans. As it is I have to be carefull not to spin my tires with the 308s.

Potter, sorry to side track your post but what was the part number for the dynomax headers you got for your 385? I have been having a hard time finding D-shaped exhaust port headers for the L-98 heads in a C3. Please let me know and good luck with your swap!

PS, Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers are a great buy. They are a straight through design, not too loud but you'll hear it when you get on it. Plus it will flow better than any flowmaster out there so that 385 can really exhale those exhaust gases.

rumor has it, that crate motor won't fit a 73. better just send it over to me to put it in mine instead

Ive got Flowmaster 40's on mine...kinda loud but not obnoxious...If you want to be safe go with Flowmaster 50's.....I was even able to use the stock 73 exhaust bezels...I have a 2.5 inch system. The guy took the stock pipes.....put them up against the 2.5 and marked where the bends are so it looks like a stock 2.5 exhaust...its killer...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom