Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'73 Front Center Grille

Aluminum Or Rallye ..... What Do You Think?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
...... Please!!! BTW, I'm almost sure I'll be getting the aluminum wheels, what's your opinion.

Too bad there wasn't a "neither" option on the poll... but I understand you intend to keep your 73 as original as possible.

:L

If you decide to go aftermarket... think about 17s and Z-rated tires. So you know, 255/50/17 would give you about the same overall height as the OEM 255/60/15 wheels. In effect, the wheel would then fill the wheel well the same as the OEM rim/tire combo.

Me... I have Torq-lites and they are easy to clean. They reflect a lot of light on the curbs as I drive- looks really neat to see the light dance along the curbs. I get the effect of the ralleye trim ring (wide lip courtesy of the backspacing), the performance of a late model tire, and the ease of cleaning due to the design.

There's a 74 center grill on ebay now. Item # 260153962644 . As of early this morning it was at $326.50. . Ends today early . Dave :beer

You guys are right.

I would imagine that GM only put center grills on '73 Corvettes that were ordered from the factory going to a state that only required one rear license plate. Same with the stainless steel license plate frame that came from the factory with the car. Only one frame for cars headed to a one plate state. Yes if you can find one it will probably be expensive and I have not seen or heard of anyone making repos.

Maybe Vettehead Mikey can help....

The way i heard it was that the 73 grill and plate holder were both delivered and it was the dealer that put on what the state law provided, then pitched the other...

many parts are not reproduced for the 73 as it has many parts that were only to that year and not worth doing repro parts to sell....for example the overflow jug for the coolant system, a 1974 jug is a working part, but the 73 jug has an indentation in it and with the 74 jug on, it wont sit correctly.

~Chas

I've been trying to figure out a way to clean my coolant reservour. It's impossilble to find a NOS one. The front grill thing- I'd like one but my car was a N.J. car so it was delivered with a front plate holder. So many things, SO LITTLE MONEY.

Chas..

I guess that is possible on the front center grill and license frame. That procedure would create a lot of unesscessary waste and cost to GM and if so there should be some center grills and frames around in states like KS and FL to name a few?

I guess that is possible on the front center grill and license frame. That procedure would create a lot of unesscessary waste and cost to GM and if so there should be some center grills and frames around in states like KS and FL to name a few?

I guess so, laws change though with the passing of 34 years...those states may have had diffrent laws then. Its all good:cool

For some reason im not sure that every one of the 30,000 or so vettes that rolled of the line in St.Louis had a final destination as to which state they were headed....but im not that into the whole center grill thing.

The way i heard it was that the 73 grill and plate holder were both delivered and it was the dealer that put on what the state law provided, then pitched the other...

I can't say that I've heard that story before but who knows....... Perhaps JohnZ would comment on the early 70's commercial practises of GM. I can't imagine them allowing new parts that were trashed.

My car was delivered new to a Toronto Ontario dealership (a two plate province) and did not come with a centre grill according to the first owner. :beer

I picked up a NOS grill several years ago, Quebec is a one plate province.

I can't say that I've heard that story before but who knows....... Perhaps JohnZ would comment on the early 70's commercial practises of GM. I can't imagine them allowing new parts that were trashed.

My car was delivered new to a Toronto Ontario dealership (a two plate province) and did not come with a centre grill according to the first owner. :beer

I picked up a NOS grill several years ago, Quebec is a one plate province.

It was just the way I had heard it...not NCRS standard or such by any stretch...I have a NOS grill and plate holder. The plate holder was on it when I bought the car, the NOS center grill was from e-bay and it looks great on my car. Thanks for the input Mikey, I have always respected your thoughts on the 73.

~Chas:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom