Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'78 paintjob - all done, car is home!!

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
well, just went and brought the car home from it's new paint job.
I think it turned out very well and I'm real happy with it.

It looks so much better than before with the old, faded, cracked and peeling paint. :)

My wife drove me over to get the car and she hadn't seen it since I dropped it off a month ago except in the progress pics and she was amazed. She's now trying to talk me out of selling it......... ;LOL

As carefully as the painter was at masking off the engine compartment, etc I still have a good bit of detailing to do on it to clean up sanding dust, polishing compound, etc to get it ready for the Car Corral at Carlisle but even the way it is now it looks pretty good I think!

http://69.253.166.197/page1/page127/page135/page190/page190.html

way to go, barry! btw, i think your wife is on to something, lol! you could do worse for a daily driver, lol!!

Steve, it would never be a daily driver anyway!
but it was originally purchased with the intention of being her "toy" to go along with "my" '65.
Money issues from unemployement dicated that we shouldn't keep it though hence why it's for sale but as you can guess that doesn't thrill her too much.
She's already flat out told me that if ut doesn't bring our asking price at Carlisle I am in SERIOUS trouble if I drop the price just to sell it - according to her either it brings what we want or we keep it and just make the money work out another way........
hmmm, I'm the one that got her "into" cars and Vettes when I got my '65 a few years ago and now it looks as if I created a monster! ;LOL

want to know what one of her top "dream cars" is now? one of those cool custom '55 Corvette Nomads like this one:
http://www.corvettenomad.com/

barry, i certainly understand. you seem to have backed yourself into a nice corner there, lol!! it's tough when your hobby and afflictions become those of your spouse, LOL!! so far, i've been lucky. i'm just considered a nut case by my wife for my love (and interest) of cars. at least there were no surprises in our case as i think i owned 4 cars when we met and she quickly learned to accept transportation in the form of the 41 packard we would take out for excercise on the weekends, LOL!!! you should have seen her trudging through the mud of the old carlisle spring events way before it became a civilized weekly business venture (we're talking back in the late 70's). got to give her credit, however, she considered it all an adventure and never once complained about the conditions be they dust or mud, LOL!! she doesn't even blink now!!

Looks good Barry.. You ought to do a before and after shot.. Just for comparison's sake..

And, yes, you created a monster (i'm saying that in a good way).. :L

:w
-Stefan

Love the blue! Curious if your painter used what they refer as PPG 'Clear Clear'? Its a clear coat that goes over a normal clear that is more urethane based to help prevent rock chips. My painter used it and so far so good.

Steve

the first Carlisle Linda and I attended was 2004, the year we got the '65, That year we were only able to make it up for the day on Sat because of work schedules and it was so hot and trying to see so much during one day of our first time there that at one point she almost passed out from the heat. I was really concerned about her that day. I was also afraid that after that she would never want to go back again but last year we were there the entire weekend and she LOVED it.
it was her idea to get the big tent for shade, and to bring the cooler and boombox and iPod for entertainment, and make the tent area one of the big "social areas" in the '63-67 registry parking area. ;LOL
On the way home last year Sun afternoon she was already talking about this years show and how we should do certain things different to make it even better.
The scary part though is when she is walking thru the show and tells me "i like that car there, and that one over there, and this one here.....".
She's gotten pretty good at identifying most years on sight and even correct colors like Ralley Red, Mosport Green, Milano Maroon, Glen Green, etc.
Like I said, I created a monster! I can't complain though as i'm glad she enjoys the hobby with me. I'd feel guilty going to shows, cruises, etc and leaving her home because she didn't enjoy it but she loves to go and is now even the social director of our local vette club.
See, now you will understand why she really doesn't want this '78 to sell. But if it does she also won't complain if I find another car as a project......... she knows one of these days a "project car" will eventually be hers to enjoy :)

Looks good Barry.. You ought to do a before and after shot.. Just for comparison's sake..
like this? :)

BTW, all of the before shots, all pics during the work i did to the car, and all of the paint progress pics are all posted up on my website so you can do as much before and after comparisons that you want! :)

BEFORE:
attachment.php

AFTER:
attachment.php

Love the blue! Curious if your painter used what they refer as PPG 'Clear Clear'? Its a clear coat that goes over a normal clear that is more urethane based to help prevent rock chips. My painter used it and so far so good.

no he didn't. He doesn't use the PPG line of products. He uses a different brand that he likes. Personally the brand of paint is secondary in importance to me. I think there are a lot of good paint products out and if the painter is used to a certain family of paints, has gotten used to them, and is happy with them than the results will be good.
He uses Sikkens (may be spelled wrong).

Barry, your Vette looks awesome. I wish I was going to Carlisle so I could the beauty in person. You have done a tremendous job! I am also happy that your better half is as enthused as you are!

I am hoping some of you going to Carlisle will be taking plenty of pics for the rest of us poor souls who cannot attend. I will be looking forward to a thread about all the fun all of you will be having!

SAVE THE WAVE! :w

lt4man
have yo not ever gone to my website? if not look for yourself........ my wife and I take tons of pictures of EVERYTHING and always post them up on the site! :)
You can be sure that we will have pics of Carlisle 2006 and they will be posted up on the site within 24 hours of returning!
:)

Carlisle 2005 is posted up if you weren't there and want to see some pics of it.

lt4man
have yo not ever gone to my website? if not look for yourself........ my wife and I take tons of pictures of EVERYTHING and always post them up on the site! :)

Barry, I just didn't think you would have time to take pics at Carlisle. You would be too busy having FUN!!!!

BTW, your website is AWESOME! I have spent a lot of time there. Your work-in-progress pics are fabulous. Thank you very much for your time and expertise.

SAVE THE WAVE! :w

LT4

thanks for the kind words about my website :)

yep, we always find time to take pictures. We are walking around looking at everything anyway so we always try to have a camera (or two) with us and just take pics as we walk around.

BTW, the work-in-progress pics are two-fold...... one reason is simply to document the work done. The other reason is even more important. Since i'm new at working on my own cars I usually am clueless on what I'm doing on each and every step. Taking photos is many, many times the only way I can maybe figure out how things go back together again after I've taken them apart. I can't count how many times this winter referring back to the pictures was the only way I could remember or figure out how something went back together.......

LT4

thanks for the kind words about my website :)

yep, we always find time to take pictures. We are walking around looking at everything anyway so we always try to have a camera (or two) with us and just take pics as we walk around.

BTW, the work-in-progress pics are two-fold...... one reason is simply to document the work done. The other reason is even more important. Since i'm new at working on my own cars I usually am clueless on what I'm doing on each and every step. Taking photos is many, many times the only way I can maybe figure out how things go back together again after I've taken them apart. I can't count how many times this winter referring back to the pictures was the only way I could remember or figure out how something went back together.......
Looks Great!
im gonna get mine painted sometime this fall. If you dont mind me asking, how much did your paint/ body cost?
zachh

Zachh
all things considered it was very inexpensive for a Vette paint job but I believe the relatively lower price was because of numerous reasons that I just happened to benefit from because of circumstances at the time - first, the body was perfect so it needed absolutely zero bodywork and that can save a lot of labor therefore expense. Also, the painter had to move his shop suddenly (previous landlord negletted to get the building zoned for business use and county threw all the tennants out of their shops in this complex) so needed work so get the new shop up and running and some jobs in to kick-start some cash-flow after the move, I was referred to him by a long time repeat customer and friend who is a fellow corvette club member in my club, etc.
He only charged me $2500 for the entire job. The work he did and the quality of the final results is NOT a "cheapo" paint job though by any means. If it turns out we end up keeping the car because it doesn't bring our asking price it's a paint job we can be proud of while we own the car rather than wishing we had gotten better quality paint work. :)

WOW, thats one hell of a good deal! My cheapest estimate to paint mine in an almost "pace car" 2- tone was $3500. Thats if I take it to them fully preped and sanded. The vette looks great, good luck selling 'er.
zachh
79 L82
186_2.jpg

186_7.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom