Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

78 SA/ how much vacuum to run headlights?

acmsal

Corvette
1978 Silver Ann.
I'm installing a 377ci. (big cam, alum. heads) engine in my 78 vette. I know the motor only produces 8hg. of vacuum at idle. Does anyone know if this will be enough vacuum to operate my vacuum operated headlights. Can't find anything in my manuals. I am hooking up a vacuum can for the power brakes, just wanted to know if I need to also hook up the headlights to the can.
A. Sclafani

I'm installing a 377ci. (big cam, alum. heads) engine in my 78 vette. I know the motor only produces 8hg. of vacuum at idle. Does anyone know if this will be enough vacuum to operate my vacuum operated headlights. Can't find anything in my manuals. I am hooking up a vacuum can for the power brakes, just wanted to know if I need to also hook up the headlights to the can.
A. Sclafani

That's pretty low, and you will likely have some problems with the headlights. Mine was previously around 8-10 --- I had over-cammed my car and the lights would not raise. I replaced the cam. The vacuum increased to 13-15, everything works again and the car runs much better for the street.

I removed the windshield washer tank and installed the vacuum can in its place. Now I'll run the power brakes and the headlights from the vacuum ca.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom