Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'79 Console

Greekman

Corvette
'67 327/350-'73 LS4-'76 L48-'79 L82
On my '79 center console below the automatic shifter there is a small tray area that looks like a coin tray, but I know it isn't. I believe this to be a area of a factory decal that indicated the engine horsepower and maybe compression ratio.

I have looked in the Portal and other vendors websites that sell GM decals and all I can find is the engine bay area. Air cleaner housing and valve covers etc.

Does anyone know what goes on the tray that is two inches long by maybe one inche tall, and if so where can I get this item?

Thanks,

What you're looking for is the 'Plate, Console Spec' for your '79. Eckler's has them for up to '76, but didn't have one listed for '79 in the catalog I checked. I'd still give them a call and ask @ 1-800-327-4868. Paragon is the definitive source for such things, but my Paragon catalog is at my work, so I can't check until tomorrow. And, worst case, check with GM (at your local chevy dealer's parts department)....they may be able to order the part for you.

I don't believe this is a spec plate location. My 82 has the same tray with no indication that it is any more than just a tray. Keep us posted as to what you find.
Carlo

As silly as it sounds (and looks) it is nothing more than a simple tray. There are no hp/torque rating plates after a think '73. A pack of Ice Breakers gum usual stays put in mine while driving.

................. Nut

Yup, it's a gum tray! The previous owner of my '79 got one of those "L-82" stickers from a previous year...it's pretty close to my engine's specs, but totally bogus from an NCRS point of view. Also, this sticker is up around the ash tray somewhere.

Same owner put a "350 Turbo Fire" sticker on a chrome air cleaner -- looks good too, but once again is totally bogus!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom