Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

79 vette dash removal

peedee

Corvette
1979 Midnight Blue TTop
I need to remove and repair the clock on my '79. What is the procedure for removing the dash panel. Do you have to go thru removing the center console first. The Corvette service manual and assembly manual don't seem to cover this and I want to know what I'm getting into before charging ahead. Thanks.

79 cluster removal

The center cluster where the gauges are is held in by 4 or more screws and will come out without removing the console. It helps to remove the glove box to reach the connections on the radio. Be careful removing the plug that connects to the flimsy backplane the connections are fragile. The clock has has two connections and may be difficult to remove ( I broke mine) so no clock. Also the setting knob on the front of the clock needs to be removed to remove the clock, I broke that also, not sure how to remove it yet.:)

You need top remove the carpeted side panels from the console to get to the 2 screws installed from under the console trim plate up into the center gauge bezel. While you can get at them, I found it helps to remove just the screws holding the console trim plate in place. This gives you a little wiggle room to get the gauge panel out.
2 screws in the sides of the gauge panel and 2 in the top.
Leave the radio connected and in place, but remove the radio knobs and nuts under the knobs. The nuts are likely round with slots in them. Needle nose pliers will get them off.
When all the screws and nuts are removed, carefully pull the panel out from the top paying attention to the heater control floodlight mounted at the top. Reach behind and disconnect the light connector and the main harness.
Be carefull, old plastic is pretty brittle, but with some care you shouldn't have to break anything.

You need top remove the carpeted side panels from the console to get to the 2 screws installed from under the console trim plate up into the center gauge bezel. While you can get at them, I found it helps to remove just the screws holding the console trim plate in place. This gives you a little wiggle room to get the gauge panel out.
2 screws in the sides of the gauge panel and 2 in the top.
Leave the radio connected and in place, but remove the radio knobs and nuts under the knobs. The nuts are likely round with slots in them. Needle nose pliers will get them off.
When all the screws and nuts are removed, carefully pull the panel out from the top paying attention to the heater control floodlight mounted at the top. Reach behind and disconnect the light connector and the main harness.
Be carefull, old plastic is pretty brittle, but with some care you shouldn't have to break anything.
Just as mkapp said. Be very careful with the light on top of the gauge cluster. Good time for a cleaning or to repair anything else while you have that center gauge cluster out.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom