Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

80 elec sys gurus?

F

firefighter-C3

I have an interesting quetion stemming from my previous post:http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87234

I checked connections and all were fine. I took the relay out from under the storage box and plugged it into the wiper harness relay in my engine comp., the delay worked but only on the least amount of delay( could not adjust to longer intermittance), all the other wiper/washer functions worked.
So..I plugged the orig relay back into the wiper harness, it worked the same as the other relay. BUT when I plugged the wiper pulse relay back into the harness under the storage comp. , the delay just ran as if on low constant setting.(both relays have the same plug config.)
Any ideas of what is happening?
Do I just unplug the storage comp. relay or does it need replaced( the engine comp relay is new)

How 'bout this?

Could there only be 1 setting for intermittant wipers for '80?
Late model C-3 owners, do you have 1 setting or does the delay setting act as a reostat?

I am not sure on either question.

I can only tell you what my 82 does currently:

My delay isnt functioning, but i havent had a chance to fix the issue. When i click my wiper up one (the delay setting) it only runs on normal speed instead of delay, then one more up for normal, normal speed, then another one up for fast (well, relativley speaking) speed.

I had checked on my connectors and they are also well and havent been loose or anything. The only thing i can come up with is the switch in the dashboard has an issue, but i havent taken of the dash yet to take it apart to check on that hunch.

Sorry..

Oh, i know for a fact the delay setting is only the delay setting, as it used to work fine a while back. It would not do a thing other then the delay wiper.

"or does the delay setting act as a reostat" Yes.

try this

unplug your wiper delay relay under your storage tray behind the passenger seat. Does your delay work now?

Could there only be 1 setting for intermittant wipers for '80?
Late model C-3 owners, do you have 1 setting or does the delay setting act as a reostat?

my 78 has reostate settings. the delay is variable. it works just like the headlight switch dash "dimmer" control. since the reostate seems to be part of the wiper switch, perhaps that is what is faulty. nothing scientific with my reply, just a guess and an opinion.

Ok,.. And maybe our cars are different (not sure), but:

I dont have a seperate delay relay back there. It's all part of of the "Pulse Wiper Controller".. I seperated the cable connector and, as i expected, the entire wiper functions stopped, all of them. The Controller is electronic and screwed in from the front, under the carpet so i cant really take it out.

To take that out the switch at the dashboard, you need to have very small hands and a screwdriver, as the switch is screwed in from below (behind the dash, intermingled with all the cables).

I read through my Shop Manual troubleshooting section on the "Delayed Pulse Wiper/Washer" Section 8A-50 to 8A-52, the only thing pertaining to the Rheostat knob is the following:
"With the Wiper switch set to DELAY, the amount of delay between wipes is controlled by rotating the Delay Rheostat know. The Controller Assembly determins the time between sweeps. The longest time is obtained by rotating the knob fully counterclockwise. With the knob rotated fully clockwise, the wipers operate at LOW speed without any delay"

Tracing the wires from the Diagram in the book, i'm not sure what the issue is. From the actual rheostat knob (maybe corroded?), to the controller behind the pass. seat to the Electronic Delay Relay and Pulse Relay at the motor (which i havent checked yet)..

Maybe someone with an 80 can double check the relays in the compartment behind the passenger seat and the wiper motor.

If someone with more experience on the wiper delay could chime in, maybe we both get this sorted.. Sorry i'm no help help..

If I remember correctly the delay speed on my 80' was controlled by turning the knob on the switch. Faster or slower by which way I turned it.

Gary

If I remember correctly the delay speed on my 80' was controlled by turning the knob on the switch. Faster or slower by which way I turned it.

Gary

it's that way on the 78 also.

switch not the prob

I really appreciate and am impressed at how much time you all are putting into this.
The switch is not the problem, I've had two brand new AC Delco switches in it and it still does the same thing - with both relays plugged in ( engine comp and storage comp ) the delay work as if on low constant setting. If I take the storage comp relay out, the delay works, but only at the longest pause between wipes.
You've answered that is not the only speed it should work at.
Is the relay in the storage comp bad?
Is it something else?
What does the blower motor relay(engine comp) have to do with the wiper relay( storage comp)?

I see from my schematic the wiper motor has a elecrronic delay relay built into the wiper motor.

Bought new relay, didn't fix the prob. . The wiper motor was just replaced with OE reman unit 2 wks ago.The prob still persists.
For now, I unplugged the relay behind the storage comp., at least I have the one speed of delay to work with. I'll keep persuing info.

I looked at my manual tonight, and found something interesting to add, "Wiper motor speed is controlled by the section of the wiper switch connected to the wiper motor (91 circuit) The wiper motor operates at LOW speed when its shunt field coil is grounded through the 91 circuit. The wiper motor operates at HIGH speed when its shunt field is grounded through the 20 ohm resistor located inside the wiper motor. With the wiper switch set to DELAY, the amount of delay between wipes is controlled by rotating the Delay Rheostat knob. The Controller Assembly determines the time between sweeps." I don't know it this is any help, but I could run off the hole section and fax it to you if you think it could help. From reading the manual along with your post, seems like your problem would be in the wiper motor ground circuit, or the 20 ohm resistor

Ron:)

I have an 81 that had multiple problems with the wipers.The last owner had cut the wires at the wiper motor and hooked them up to a toggle switch. How do you say Bubba in Canada! Once I hooked up the wires properly the wipers would come on when ever I reved the engine Since I am an electronic tech and have access to test equipment I took on the project. I found 3 bad components on the pulse controller, this stopped the wipers coming on when the wiper switch was off but it did not fix the delay problem. I was certain that there was nothing more wrong with the controller so I looked else ware. I could get the delay to work if I disconnected the washer pump, so from looking at the wiring diagram I figured that the problem was with the delay switch in the wiper motor cover. The contact on the end of this switch was worn off so I rebuilt it, I also added a 200 ohm resistor across the 330 ohm resistor in the motor cover. Delay wipers now work.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom