Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

800 miles to Chicago- should i worry?

kevin-design

Corvette
1992 Black convertible LT1
so I'm 3 days away from an 800 mile roadtrip home for the holidays, and about 2 weeks onto a new clutch/pressureplate and flywheel setup that I put in. So far things seem okay. I forgot to mark the driveshaft u-joint when I took it out and flipped it to the other orienttion this evening- seems to have improved some of the vibration situation. No burning clutch smell- trying to take it easy on the 500mi break in. Anyways, after about 30 minutes of driving last night, I had a check engine lite come on. Retrieved trouble codes this evening, and it returned a code 32 and a code 16. 32 is the EGR valve. No big deal, I know that I damaged a connector during the clutch repair- I can check that pretty easy. Code 16, however is a DI fault (direct ignition). Not a very specific as to what the problem is, but scary in that its not real user serviceable. However, the distributator was replaced about 3 yrs ago from the previous owner('s receipts). Looks like that was about 20k miles ago. The car runs a bit rough sometimes, but not too out of the ordinary. How worried should I be about driving it across country? Honestly, I was really looking forward to the drive- despite the unavoidable blizzards of the north! :) I think I'm currently ok with plugs, filters, and routine maintanence. I even replaced my heater blower motor so I wont freeze like I did last year during the same trip. Soooo... 'DI fault'... hmmm.Thanks for any help!-kevinps. One non-critical tip I could use: I re-installed the trans/clutch from outside the car, and accidently trapped the leather shift boot on the flange beneath the console. Its really not worth it to drop the trans again to get it un-stuck as compared to just destroying it and getting a new one. Is there a non-destructive way to get it worked out of there?

road trip

kevin-design said:
so I'm 3 days away from an 800 mile roadtrip home for the holidays, How worried should I be about driving it across country? Honestly, I was really looking forward to the drive- despite the unavoidable blizzards of the north! :)

is this a corvette your taking on the road trip? We have tons of salt on the roads already in chicago. The salt dust clouds turns your car white within 10 miles of driving.
As for the weather, you should be good til friday,temps going up to 40 degrees (friday/day)and some rain turning to light snow over nite,,,,, more salt then!!!
about your car making the trip, You'd better make sure it's up to it. The tow trucks around here charge $100 to hook up and $2 a mile.

Yeah, I grew up in chicago and moved to charlotte about 18mos ago, so I'm pretty familiar. I'm just a glutton for punishment I guess (as is my vette). I mean- how much damage can I do in a week's time? Nothing could be worse than last year when they shut down I65 while I (and all other cars) were on it. This was when my heater blower motor was busted- and it was just me and my dog wondering who would have to eat the other to survive.... :)

Kevin,

Why not play it safe and drive a regular vehicle to Chicago for the holidays?! Then you'll have no concerns about the car's performance or the weather conditions. Save your trip to Chicago in the Vette for another time...in better weather conditions, too!:)

Elaine

safety shmafety! If I can survive last year, I can survive anything! Anyway, the alternative is my motorcycle...! :)

kevin-design said:
so I'm 3 days away from an 800 mile roadtrip home for the holidays, and about 2 weeks onto a new clutch/pressureplate and flywheel setup that I put in. So far things seem okay. I forgot to mark the driveshaft u-joint when I took it out and flipped it to the other orienttion this evening- seems to have improved some of the vibration situation. No burning clutch smell- trying to take it easy on the 500mi break in. Anyways, after about 30 minutes of driving last night, I had a check engine lite come on. Retrieved trouble codes this evening, and it returned a code 32 and a code 16. 32 is the EGR valve. No big deal, I know that I damaged a connector during the clutch repair- I can check that pretty easy. Code 16, however is a DI fault (direct ignition). Not a very specific as to what the problem is, but scary in that its not real user serviceable. However, the distributator was replaced about 3 yrs ago from the previous owner('s receipts). Looks like that was about 20k miles ago. The car runs a bit rough sometimes, but not too out of the ordinary. How worried should I be about driving it across country? Honestly, I was really looking forward to the drive- despite the unavoidable blizzards of the north! :) I think I'm currently ok with plugs, filters, and routine maintanence. I even replaced my heater blower motor so I wont freeze like I did last year during the same trip. Soooo... 'DI fault'... hmmm.Thanks for any help!-kevinps. One non-critical tip I could use: I re-installed the trans/clutch from outside the car, and accidently trapped the leather shift boot on the flange beneath the console. Its really not worth it to drop the trans again to get it un-stuck as compared to just destroying it and getting a new one. Is there a non-destructive way to get it worked out of there?

If you are nervous and considering the cost of towing and having someone else maybe have to do repairs then I suggest another vehicle or car rental probaly would be cheaper insurance. Better than having to drive with your anxiety level up waiting for something to break. Just my opinion I could be wrong.

I say throw on an extra set of thermal underwear and brave it on the motorcycle. Just grin and bear it!!!

But I think the better option is to get a rental. If you're worried about cost go for an economy car. Chevy aveo all the way :L !!!

Get a rental. I had mine out yesterday to go put air in the tires and I was cringing the entire 10 minute drive I had since I had to drive over all that salt.

ain't no sippin' tea...

This car has been through a lot, but I try to keep the important stuff in good shape. It could use a nice paint job, and really, even with the salt in Chicagoland, I think it wouldn't be too much worse cosmetically, if I just rode it out and then rinsed it down when I got back here to Charlotte. I had a new plan to maybe pick up a replacement Opti system and bring it along so that I could have it available if the old one should fail. Then I'd return it to the dealer (or whatever source here) if it didn't fail. I just went out to check what the install would be like though-- ugh. They sure built the car around that Opti, didn't they? Is that better or worse than the heater core? Anyway, at least I'd have the part available. Maybe I'll just hang in there till friday to see if it repeats that trouble code.

I still think you should just get to Chicago using any other means of transportation...and leave the Vette (and any potential troubles) behind!

Just my opinion!;)

Elaine

Hey, I understand the need to take the road trip in your Vette. Just make sure you keep your cell phone charged. If you don't have one, borrow, beg, or...what is that other thing? Get your mother, girlfriend, or wife to get you one? Yeah, that'll do. Or, in case of emergency, see 6 Shooter's suggestion.

ok, some of you are at least getting that I'm really looking forward to the trip! Here's more adventure for ya: In addition to my furry copilot on the way there- the significant other has now purchased a one way ticket for new years (since she has to work christmas here) in chicago with the expectation that we'll all drive back together...!? So anyway, I just test-fit my retriever to the faux-trunk space (top storage behind the seats) in my '92 vert. He's not thrilled with the seating arrangement, but it could happen. Thankfully I have the rear luggage rack option which I expect will be fully in use on this trip. Especially if I want to take more than a pair of shoes with me. sigh....

Oh yeah- I started this reply on a totally different topic: So autozone carries this part:
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB...CHEVROLET|~CORVETTE|~1992|~LLT|~1.75|~NONE|~W
(sorry about that mega-link) with a lifetime warranty-- is that the same as this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8022654138
Mighty convenient that they'd have it that cheaply, with that warranty, that available. I'm feeling encouraged now! :)

If I was going to Chicago I would take a tank. That way you just might survive the trip down the expressway. Chicago drivers are the worst in the world.

"Its 800 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, its dark, and we're wearing sunglasses" - "Hit it"

chicago drivers worst in the world????? who do you think invented the bumper car rides at amusement parks!!!!! Gotta give chicago some credit.
Capitol of hit and runs!!! They invented the games catch me if you can & tag your it also.
I work for the illinois highway dept.& Go to accidents. You wouldn't believe how many drivers dont have insurance, cant get insurance if you dont have a licence I guess!!! It's around 40% of those involved in accidents.

Definately take the Corvette---my experience in both my old '81 and my '89 Ebay rat is that the more daring you are in the face of the unknown the better the car runs. It's only when everything is working perfectly before you set out that things go wrong on road trips. For example, when I got the '81 it had been neglected, had almost 100K miles, and had a badly leaking differential, yet it ran the 400 miles home from L.A. to San Francisco over the Grapevine in the summer heat strong and steady as a train. The '89 Ebay rat had almost 120K miles when I flew in and picked it up outside Denver, and was definately down on its luck, but ran perfectly at 80 mph the 1200 miles back to Houston, notwithstanding all my plans to take it real slow comming back.

/s/ Chris Kennedy
Houston, Texas

kevin-design said:
"Its 800 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, its dark, and we're wearing sunglasses" - "Hit it"

;LOL ;LOL
Picking up the new opti is a good idea, hope you don't need it...Good Luck...:w

Where in Chicago are you heading? it has been quite cold here recently..

What clutch did you end up using?

kevin-design said:
Thankfully I have the rear luggage rack option which I expect will be fully in use on this trip.
For your furry co-pilot? Hmmm...wonder what the SPCA would say about that? :L

Destination Palatine- NW suburbs. I know its always cold in the winter, but seriously- last time I made this trip was the craziest driving experience ever, but had nothing to do with the car (other than the blower motor was out- it performed quite nicely!). I-65 in IN was shut down completely for hours, and we'd move about 40ft (yes, feet) per hour when it was going. I'm thinking I'll continue on to I-57 this time where they HAVE discovered snowplows.

As to the clutch- Returned the Spec Clutch disc. Resurfaced the single mass flywheel, bought a pressure plate and stage 2 from Carolina Clutch and bolted it all together. Interestingly, the pressure plate from CC is exactly identical to the stock pressure plate from the original dual mass. So far so good.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom