Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

81 auto ujoints anyone know the right ones?

cargo247

Corvette
are they all the same ? anyone know the delco numbers? or the gm number
Thanks Todd:beer

are they all the same ? anyone know the delco numbers? or the gm number
Thanks Todd:beer
As far as I remember they are all the same part number but I do not know it off the top of my head. I replaced them all when I had my rear end rebuilt.

Why buy Delco, just go to the local parts store, decide what you want, greaseable or not, solid or not, for street use or heavy duty for hard use. They all go in the same way, just be sure you know what you are doing. You can go to some of our advertising companies here on the side like ZIP and buy them there also.

Just remember, the greaseable joints are actually a lower quality joint with smaller trunions. Thats why they need the grease fittings and periodic lubrication.
You ALWAYS want a seal joint, they are stronger and will last longer if installed correctly.
Allthebest, c4c5

Be VERY careful when replacing the U-joints on the outboard half-shaft flanges. If you don't have a spare flange to bolt to the existing flange (or a piece of 1/4" steel plate drilled to match the holes) to reinforce it, you can bend the flange, at which point it becomes scrap. :eyerole

You can also spread them too wide when removing the old joints, take your time and have them done correctly or find someone that knows what they are doing.

so what your saying is ...lube the shit out of them before try to push them out.:D

Lubing may not help, try PB and let it soak for a few hours to loosen it some. A good press will help and is the best way, or they make a tool that is specif for removing the u-joints, but not many of us have them, unless you do this for a living. Its good to know a friend with a press or a big vise. Make sure you mark the shafts when removing , left or right and which way they are installed, inner or outter, just to put them back the way they came out.

After going through this a few months back, my suggestion would be to go with non-greasable SPICER U-Joints. As John mentioned, if you are doing the halfshafts then be careful with the flanges. I had mine professionally done. You can also order complete halfshafts with the flange already installed so that they are ready to install.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom