Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

81 project

Did you paint or powder coat the engine? Sure is a nice color! :thumb:thumb
Andy :w (savin' the wave for LT4man)

Thanks Andy,

The color was a happy mistake actually. I was looking for something a little different so I ordered VHT's "Red Flame" metallic engine paint. When I got the paint, the cap was actually more of a salmon color, not the red I expected to see. I tried it anyway, and the cap was the perfect match... not what I was looking for at all. :( I went to the local parts store and found a Dupicolor heat paint that looks like red anodizing. So I sprayed that over the VHT paint and the result is what you see in the pics. The duplicolor is kind of candy apple red which worked really well over the VHT "Red". So, I got lucky, even a blind squirrel gets an acorn once in a while!!!:thumb

I ordered an aluminum radiator and electric fans. I'm running two 11" fans in a shroud...
If you are referring to the OEM shroud, it's not really needed with electric fans. ;)

Keep up the good work! :thumb

Thanks! The electric fans come mounted in a shroud that basically covers the entire core area. I do have the original shroud with the aux fan if anyone needs it though!

It's full!!

Started getting the engine/trans in the car this weekend. I was really hoping to fire it late Sunday, but the place I ordered the wire harness for the electric fans is having a supply issue. I've got another source, but, I'll have to wait till the end of the week. Got the engine in and everything on the top connected. A tight fit to be sure, but it did fit! The radiator is connected, I still have one heater hose to go, install the condenser and finish installing the radiator support. Then it's under the car for connections. The hardest part there should be redoing the trans cooling lines. Right now they're way to close to the headers. Then the exhaust, fill the trans, radiator and PWS, fingers crossed and turn the key!

Excellent thread and sharp looking car! I'm working toward a big block in my 73' and I noticed that you don't seem to have an issue with the lower pulley/harmonic balancer clearing the cross member. Everybody has said you need to find one of the original BB balancer/pulleys (which cost 2 arms and a leg nowadays). Did you go this route or find another solution?

Thanks for the comment! No, I didn't have a problem with the crank pulley, but it's close. There's enough clearance to change the belt, and that works for me. I used the crank pulley I got with the serpentine brackets. Those actually came off a 92 chevy V6 pick up. I made the mounting brackets for the serp set up outta 6061 3/4" aluminum plate, and milled 3/8" off the back of the A/C bracket. Then used a 1/2" spacer for the water pump and crank pulleys. The water pump is a "long" reverse flow. The pulley does sit forward of the original "dent" that's in the cross memeber, and I had to be careful how high the trans sits on the crossmember, but it's level and the pulley clears. The belt lines up perfectly straight. I've had it running and all I can say is "WOW"!! Now some tunning tweaks, change the torque converter (I've decided I HATE the 10 inch 2800 stall, going back to the 1900) and off I go. I'll post a video of it running soon....:)

Okay, it's in running, and most of the tuning is done. It's still a bit rich at idle, but I don't intend to drive at idle!! :) Seriously though, in talking with Cliff Ruggles, I found out that on the later Q-jets, the idle mixture screw holes in the base plates weren't tapped all the way in. As a result, when you open the holes up a bit, sometimes you can't get the screws deep enough to give you the adjustment you need. So, I have to either finish tapping the current holes (gotta find the right metric tap) or, most likely, get a set of older 10-32 idle mixture screws and tap the base plate for them. That should take care of the rich idle. It's a bitch to start cold, but I think the adjustments I did to the idle air valve should help that.

I just got the hood for it, went with the high rise L88 style, so I'll start getting that ready to install and hopefully have it on the car this weekend.

Oh, and you do have to hang on when you jump on it!!! :D

Here's some pics and a video of it running...

YouTube - 81 Big Block Vette

Here's some pics and a video of it running...
YouTube - 81 Big Block Vette
Put them up on VetteTube as well! YouTube is blocked by a lot of work places, mine being one of them. But VetteTube isn't blocked. Plus, it's our sister site! AND...I'm pretty sure you can embed the VetteTube player right in these posts! :thumb

The sound is very nice! :D
And good to see the E4ME is powering your big block without much problems.
About the mixture screw holes, are you sure you need a metric tap? If so, finding them here in Holland isn't a problem, so if I can help you just send a pm :)

Groeten Peter

Thanks Peter!

Yep, I'm really happy with the performance of the carburetor. There is zero hesitation, the transition to the secondary circuit is seamless (as it should be), there are no leaks, or stumbles that I can detect. The only issue is the cold starting. The choke is set per specs, so it's one step at a time. As I know the idle mixture screws need some attention, I'll start there. I think I'll go the 10-32 route, but thanks very much for the offer from Holland!

Thanks Peter!

Yep, I'm really happy with the performance of the carburetor. There is zero hesitation, the transition to the secondary circuit is seamless (as it should be), there are no leaks, or stumbles that I can detect. The only issue is the cold starting. The choke is set per specs, so it's one step at a time. As I know the idle mixture screws need some attention, I'll start there.
Sounds like you have it pretty well in hand, but if you need "another set of eyes", give a shout to Sensei. He started a thread in the L81 section and seems to be going very strong on his ability to modify the E4ME and computer controls for all power levels.
:thumb

That's a great idea Evo, if I can't get the cold start figured out, I'll ping him.

Thanks!

Okay, been busy, thought some of you might be interested. First off, I have a bone stock 81, with now about 70K on it. But as we all know, the cars weren't exactly over powered. There are certainly several ways to increase the power of the existing engines, but I've always wanted a big block vette and love the 80-82 body style so I thought I'd build a big block for my car.

The engine is a 402 punched .030 making it about a 409. Its running 10:1 comp with a strong cam that pulls from 1800-6500. I degreed it 6 degrees so it should pull a bit sooner. I also had larger valves put in the heads and had the ports cleaned up a bit so it'll breathe better. I'll be using the 81 E4ME because I like Qjets and like Sensei think they're just miss-understood critters. I contacted Cliff Ruggles and he made me a customized rebuild kit for it and showed me what to use in his book to make this carb work with the BB. I'll also be running a serpentine set up, fit from a small block adapted to the BB. I'll run an aluminum radiator with dual electric fans to keep it cool.

Well, a big block and a TH350 don't go so well together so I needed a transmission for it. There are certainly several ways to go, but for all things considered, I choose the 2004R route. I'll be keeping the rear end with the stock gears for awhile, and I like the gearing of the 2004R compared to say the 700. The car is to be built to be able to be a daily driver and to take on long trips, so the gearing is important and with the torque the engine should have, it still shouldn't have a problem leaving stop lights.

I've never built an automatic trans before so this was fun. I used parts and a book from CK Performance in New York. Chris has been very helpful and I've added things like billet parts, a coupe extra clutch discs, some servo and valve body work and a little machine work like adding holes for cooling and such. Chris built a custom torque converter for the car, it's a 10 inch and has a stall speed of 2800rpm, but according to Chris will have very street able manners. (A good thing cause I'm sure I could pop the rear end with this set up if I really wanted to!!)

So, the engine is built, the trans is built, and it's time to put them in the car. I didn't want to put a new engine and trans in at the same time as this is my firs trans and with the cam break in procedure, that's too much for my nerves!!! :eek:hnoes So, I thought I'd put the trans behind the stock 350 to check it out.

Anyone who says the 2004R is a bolt in isn't exactly telling the truth. Yep the trans bolts right up to the engine, and the speedo cable screws in, but...the trans mount is 7 inches farther back than the TH350. Not too big a deal, you can buy a cross member for about $200 from several places, or you can modify the one that’s in the car. That's what I'm doing this week. Also, the shift cable mounting bracket won't fit, it has to be modified. The cooling lines are close, but depending on your car, you might have some work to do. And the 200 is a heavy SOB! That and I'm definitely getting older!!

I should have the trans in and complete by the weekend, I'll post and let everyone know how it turns out. Then it's engine time....:)

Needless to say, I'll have a bunch of stock 81 parts I won't be needing, so if anyone is interested, let me know!!
What did the serpintine set up come off of? I am doing the same project as you are with the exception of swapping the automatic to a manual transmission and mine is a 1980 model. I am getting lots of good info from your post.

Thanks, I'm glad the information is helpful! The serpentine set up came out of a bone yard, off of a 92 S10 pickup with a V6. You can get them from most bone yards with the alt, a/c comp and PWS pump for about $200. I got one off a pick up because they don't have an air pump mount under the a/c compressor, and to me it looks cleaner that way. I had to fabricate the brackets, and have a bit of machine work done. I used 6061 3/4 plate aluminium, post #28 has more particulars. It wasn't difficult at all, and a heck of alot more cost effective than a March set up!!

I thought about going with a 5 or 6 speed manual trans, but afer adding up the cost of a conversion, the auto was about half as much, but my car was an automatic to begin with. And I really like the OD in the auto on the highway. What trans are you going with?

I also looked at the Richmond and Keisler 5 and 6 speeds but the price tag scared the crap out of me. I am having my share of fun with the conversion; just swapping the pedals out is a challenge. I bought all of the parts off of a '79 to do the change but there are some subtle differences in some parts. I bought a Borg Warner Super t10. It was the stock tranny for the 1980 model. I hope it will hold up to the big block torque.
Let me know the final hood choice and vendor you go with. I will have to change out the stock hood as well.

Good Luck,
Father/Son

I think you'll find the 4 speed trans could use a fifth gear. Remember, when these cars were built speed limits were 55. It should hold up behind the big block unless you're building a real monster engine! If you're going much over stock, you might want to consider a scatter shield. You really don't want that clutch/pressure plate comming apart and coming through the floor....

I ended up with the L88 hood from Ecklers. Pricey, but it's a good product. It fit pretty well right outta the box, though I do have some work to do on the corners at the windshield. I have to build one side up a bit and it's a little long on one side, but an afternoon of body work should take care of that. I'll post pics of it when I do it, hopefully this weekend. I also had to order a K&N 14x2.5 filter as a standard 3 inch was to tall for even that hood, but only by about 1/4 inch.

Can you post pics of your build? It's always good to see what others are doing!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom